Friedman ASM-12 500W Active Moniter

this was announced a while back. it's essentially a B52 ACTPRO12M. check it out:

B-52 Professional ACTPRO Series: Active Speaker Systems

Dave Friedman said : "The amplifier design is a licensed product. B-52 also licenses the amplifier design. After trying many designs I liked this one the best. Cabs are made, painted and grill clothed right in our shop. As with all our cabs, they are made with baltic birch. No cheap wood or plastic will do if you want the punch. Hope that clears things up."

Last edited:
Could be an alternative to the Aromic CLR?

I know that was a typo but it made me smile... imagine an Aromic cab - it almost sounds like it would guarantee good smells while you are playing.
(Strictly speaking it would be aromatic but hey...)

I'm confused. It's the same drivers, plate amplifier, and cabinet dimensions. The construction is birch plywood for both, but Friedman constructs their cabinet in house. The only difference I see is that one was made in the USA and the other was made in China (Cabinets only, everything else is made in China).

Am I missing something?

When he says 'our shop' he obviously means the one big factory the produces b52 and whatever brands they also lisence.
Its a bit misleading as people think he has his own factory churning these things out. Clearly not the case.

Ok the ASM cabinet is different and so are the drivers, which are considerably more expensive then the B52 ones. The amplifier is the same one b52 licenses, I liked it the best after testing many. Our Manufacturer is our business partner and I am at that shop many times in a week. Hope this clears things up.

Ok the ASM cabinet is different and so are the drivers, which are considerably more expensive then the B52 ones. The amplifier is the same one b52 licenses, I liked it the best after testing many. Our Manufacturer is our business partner and I am at that shop many times in a week. Hope this clears things up.

Thanks for this clears things up .
Now we have to wait for reviews RCF NX12 vs Friedman ASM12

After digging a little more, it looks like in terms of electronic/driver component selection, the LF driver is the only change vs the B52 (According to a statement made by Friedman on another forum). B52 uses Celestion SP-1200. I could not track down which LF driver is used in the ASM-12m. I am really curious to see a spec sheet for the Friedman driver.

yeah, I noticed that B52 uses slightly thinner birch plywood for their 12" model compared to their larger ones. Maybe that's the superior materials Friedman is referring too. Otherwise, it would seem pretty disengenuous.

it just seems like, given the market for this product, this forum would have gotten a lot more info on it. I mean, as much as debate/purchase stuff like Matrix, CLR, etc...I'd want to get as much info here as possible.

is there a reason why you're assuming malice? that doesn't seem warranted at this point.

I guess it's all a question of semantics. When the manufacturer initially says something like "Cabs are made, painted and grill clothed right in our shop." it honestly lead me to think that they literally manufactured the cabs "in-house". That was me misinterpreting the marketing speak. The manufacturer cleared that up nicely.

When I heard the manufacturer say "As with all our cabs, they are made with baltic birch. No cheap wood or plastic will do if you want the punch." I falsely jumped to the conclusion that he was implying the B52s were made of inferior materials. Yet again, my mistake. I misread the marketing materials and reading comprehension is at fault.

Back
Top Bottom