Friedman ASC-10 initial review

Random Hero

Inspired
Little bit of background - I'm using a Fractal AX8. I'm a professional and 95% of the time I'm on IEMs. Occasionally I've just used wedges if there's no IEM system in house, and that can be hit or miss, but generally fine.

Got one of the ASC-10s the other day for the gigs where there's no IEMs and I fancy a cabinet on stage. Initial impressions were how incredibly dark it sounded at home volumes. Took it to a gig last night and was much more impressed, though it is still dark - significantly darker than my Yamaha HS7 monitors, and Cosmic Ears IEMs.

Is this something that will break-in over time or is it always gonna be dark? I'm definitely leaning toward it being more preferable than a 20Hz-20kHz monitor of varying quality blasting at my face, but it feels like my tones which have really cutting top end aren't translated as well as they are in my ears.

I will add, I don't particularly care how accurate it is to FOH - that's FOH's job and not mine, and I dial my tones in on my ears on HS7s - but I dunno if the darkness is going to bother me over time. It does brighten up at higher volumes FWIW, but it's still darker than I expected I guess.

Even so, it does sound monstrously big for it's size, low end is very present, and it does offer a lot more of a "cabinet" sound on stage than a monitor ever has for me. I also quite enjoyed having a wedge in front and the Friedman behind - it created a pretty huge blend.

Any other users of the Friedman line here?

Not sure if this is on point, but I have RCF SMA NX 12's. They sound very dark on the floor, but on a stand they shine.

If you can, set up a side-by-side comparison with some other "FRFR" cabs. That will clearly highlight the differences.

I have the ASC 12 and I do not find it necessarily dark, but definitely chunkier than a full range monitor wedge. I have noticed that it has evened out a bit after a year or so of gigs, so I assume the 12" does break in like any speaker will do with volume and use. Dave Friedman has said he didn't design these to be flat response but rather, to be more like a traditional guitar cab in its overall feel. I prefer this to typical full range monitors which always sound kind of sterile for lack of a better word. I like the chunk and warmth it gives at gig volume. I do have a couple CLRs and comparing to the Friedman, the CLR is very different. They sound exactly like my Adam studio monitors where as the Friedman sits between those and regular guitar cab. You also should make sure the low cut is on. On the 12, if that is is off, the cab is a little too woofy imo.

Little bit of background - I'm using a Fractal AX8. I'm a professional and 95% of the time I'm on IEMs. Occasionally I've just used wedges if there's no IEM system in house, and that can be hit or miss, but generally fine.

Got one of the ASC-10s the other day for the gigs where there's no IEMs and I fancy a cabinet on stage. Initial impressions were how incredibly dark it sounded at home volumes. Took it to a gig last night and was much more impressed, though it is still dark - significantly darker than my Yamaha HS7 monitors, and Cosmic Ears IEMs.

Is this something that will break-in over time or is it always gonna be dark? I'm definitely leaning toward it being more preferable than a 20Hz-20kHz monitor of varying quality blasting at my face, but it feels like my tones which have really cutting top end aren't translated as well as they are in my ears.

I will add, I don't particularly care how accurate it is to FOH - that's FOH's job and not mine, and I dial my tones in on my ears on HS7s - but I dunno if the darkness is going to bother me over time. It does brighten up at higher volumes FWIW, but it's still darker than I expected I guess.

Even so, it does sound monstrously big for it's size, low end is very present, and it does offer a lot more of a "cabinet" sound on stage than a monitor ever has for me. I also quite enjoyed having a wedge in front and the Friedman behind - it created a pretty huge blend.

Any other users of the Friedman line here?
I'm looking at the 10". Do you think there is significant difference with the 12"? I'm looking for lite and portable. thx

At low volume my ASM 12 seems “Wooly” I have cut some bass, etc.
Once you get it up to volume though, look out, it is massive in sound.

Of all the FR systems I have tried this is the one that gives me what I have been looking for. Guitar cab behind, stereo out to FOH.

Early days here still.....

At low volume my ASM 12 seems “Wooly” I have cut some bass, etc.
Once you get it up to volume though, look out, it is massive in sound.

Of all the FR systems I have tried this is the one that gives me what I have been looking for. Guitar cab behind, stereo out to FOH.

Early days here still.....

Got mine last weekend. Unbelievably warm sound compared with the PA/keyboard amps. High gain tones sound similar to what I had, but the edge of breakup and clean sounds are fantastic.

Testing its ability to handle drum machine stuff and samples with my other band this Saturday.

Thanks for responding. I ordered the 10 for lighter weight as I have a really bad back.
Hoping 10 will sound as good as yours.
If not I’ll swap it for a 12.
Almost bought the Valvetrain studio, tube cab for the tubes, but have had many tubes go bad that I wanted a change.
Anyway, thanks again for your input.
Have a nice day.

I’ve got the 12. I wouldn’t describe it as dark at all. I think chunky was a good word. Hopefully your unit is working properly.

I am an AX8 user as well, love it, hope to never use anything else. Bought the Friedman ASC 10 about 6 months ago and all good until recently. While playing, the volume will increase for 10 seconds or so and then reduce back down to a normal level. Comes and goes totally radomly and really annoying. Never know when it will occur. Playing a solo, volume kicks up for a bit and then settles back down. I also have the small Headrush for my home. I've AB'd this problem with different guitars and the Headrush and when playing thru the Headrush (or swapping guitars) all seems good, no volume change. To me that rules out a guitar pickup problem as well as a problem with the AX8. Just my opinion. Has anyone experienced this? Help, suggestions please as to how to make this annoyance go away. I would really appreciate any help. thanks

There's an overload circuit with an LED indicator. I'd play through at the volume you're experiencing this, with the amp facing away from you to see if it's pegging the red. Amp may be going into protection mode intermittently.

are you talking just below the green power light on back of amp? just below power it says "protect" with a yellow light. Is that what you are referring to? thank you for responding.

are you talking just below the green power light on back of amp? just below power it says "protect" with a yellow light. Is that what you are referring to? thank you for responding.

You got it. That turns red if the amp is pushed too hard. Most of the time, I don't exceed 12:00 on the volume knob if the source signal is set right.

will give it a try. Level has been set at 6 but will give a go and see if protection lite appears. I run my AX8 hard but not to clipping point. On amp, low cut on and not sure if i should set Ground to Lift or Earth. not sure if that makes a difference. set on Lift.

my bad, i mis-spoke when you said 12:00. the level 6 I mentioned would be about 1 or 2 o'clock as compared to your 12:00. when you run at 12:00 for a gig or rehearsal, do you crank the volume on your output on AX8 or via editing? level 12:00 wouldn't cut it at a gig unless i really cranked my Fractal.

I have 2 Friedman ASC-12 power cabs. its best to turn them up to at LEAST 8 if not 10 , Low cut off because you use your low cut on the Axe fx or fx3
there is not much info online or manual about this issue.

I had one for a while. It was a bit dark so I thought there was something wrong with it because I was expecting FRFR response like my CLR or desktop monitors. I get how some players used to playing through standard guitar cabs off-axis might like the lower-end filtering off the high-end. Personally, I prefer to have the speaker output to match what goes to the PA, especially for intentionally bright tones and acoustic patches. If I want the sound to be darker then I tweak the preset. Sounds like you might prefer the darker sound. Maybe you can use a global EQ to dial out some low-end or add some high-end.

I play the 10 thru my AX8 and while a bit darker, the Fractal has SO many options to brighten it up that it's endless, so works for me. Plus it looks cool, like a real tube amp. At home and for small rehearsals, I have the small Headrush. Really light and sounds incredible for such a small little thing however I wouldn't gig with it.

So low cut on, or low cut off? Sounds like a few different options here which is cool. Whatever sounds good works.

Back
Top Bottom