Friedman ASC-10 + FM3 = :-)

acwild

Experienced
This monitor is a great solution for those who are used to playing through amps and feel something is missing when playing through studio monitors or a p.a. I missed the punch in your gut feel that I got from my regular amps and I noticed that I was getting ear fatigue when I played through my studio monitors. Based on some of the reviews that I’ve read on the ASC-10, I was worried that it wasn’t going to be the exact solution that I was looking for but I do love Friedman amps and decided to give it a try.

I’m really glad that I did! The cab sounds a bit bass-heavy while on the floor but once I elevated the amp, it sounds just like my normal amps. I forget that I’m not playing through a traditional amp and my patches sound wonderful from super-low volumes to drowning out your caveman drummer levels. The combination of the FM3 and this amp are convincing enough that I’m finally going to sell my amp.

At 34 lbs, it’s not exactly light, but compared to a real amp, it’s not heavy either. Since I don’t have a cart and I’ve had to lug my gear a long way from the parking lot to the studio, I do dread having to carry this weight. Luckily most places that I play don’t require a long walk.

I really like the Friedman ASM series too. I have an ASM 12 and wish it was the 10. (It was advertised locally as the 10, but was actually the 12 when I showed up.). I like it a lot better than an ELX112p I'd been using. But the 12's size/weight/awkwardness make it not the greatest option.

I really like the Friedman ASM series too. I have an ASM 12 and wish it was the 10. (It was advertised locally as the 10, but was actually the 12 when I showed up.). I like it a lot better than an ELX112p I'd been using. But the 12's size/weight/awkwardness make it not the greatest option.
I use 2 Friedman ASC-12's. if your used to touting half stacks around then the 2 ASC 12's is't so bad. man up!

I agree with your assessment (OP). I have had several brands of powered FRFR speakers but I have found the ASC-10 creates a sound that feels good to me as a backline cabinet. I really like that as you push it louder the high end is not harsh and is nicely balanced with the woofer. I had it about a year when I saw another one for sale locally... long story short, it is even better running two.

I have tried several FRFR speakers claiming to be flat response but none had a sound that worked for me in various scenarios. So far, so good with the asc-10. I have no idea if they are flat response or full range... this time I ignored the specs and used my ears.

Although they are manageable in weight it would be great if they were 5 or 10 pounds lighter, but again, same could be said about me.

I use 2 Friedman ASC-12's. if your used to touting half stacks around then the 2 ASC 12's is't so bad. man up!
I'd man up if my wife ever told me where she hid my balls. ;-)
My days of lugging heavy gear around are over. Everything from half-stacks to combos are all gone, no regrets (although I kind of miss my Bogner OS 212).

I agree with your assessment (OP). I have had several brands of powered FRFR speakers but I have found the ASC-10 creates a sound that feels good to me as a backline cabinet. I really like that as you push it louder the high end is not harsh and is nicely balanced with the woofer. I had it about a year when I saw another one for sale locally... long story short, it is even better running two.

I have tried several FRFR speakers claiming to be flat response but none had a sound that worked for me in various scenarios. So far, so good with the asc-10. I have no idea if they are flat response or full range... this time I ignored the specs and used my ears.

Although they are manageable in weight it would be great if they were 5 or 10 pounds lighter, but again, same could be said about me.

Uh oh, you're going to get me in trouble... The one cab is currently giving me all sorts of amp happiness. I gotta stick with my current setup. Besides, I'm already complaining about having to carry one cab. :)
Two would be glorious-sounding though...

I'd rather just use my tube amp head and cab, given the choice.

I hear ya, but I'm actually using a setup with just a few more sounds than I can get from my amp. Plus the whole setup is easier to transport now.

The weight and reviews like yours are what led me to the ASC-10. The most awkward, heavy amp that I owned was the 5150 III 2x12 combo. It's about 75 lbs and not fun to carry up narrow stairways. As much as I loved that amp, it had to go. So when I read those descriptors for the ASM, it scared me off.

They are fantastic FRFR monitors!! I've had 2 of them for quite some time now. I modified mine with Fender tilt back arms when I I am playing live or at home. They work amazingly well and are loud as anything in stereo. You definitely get a nice push from them.

They are fantastic FRFR monitors!! I've had 2 of them for quite some time now. I modified mine with Fender tilt back arms when I I am playing live or at home. They work amazingly well and are loud as anything in stereo. You definitely get a nice push from them.
I’m going to have to look into Fender tilt back arms as my amp is sitting on a little table.

I’m going to have to look into Fender tilt back arms as my amp is sitting on a little table.

It's a fairly easy install. You have to take off the front grill, which is simple enough. You have to remove the speaker on the left first and then you can attach the nut into the cab when you drill through. Re-install that speaker then remove the tweeter on the right and install the nut for the other leg and re-install. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom