Fried Tweeters in Studio Monitors - Suggestions?

Genghis

Power User
Well, this is an odd one, was listening to a playback in Logic on my iMac, and suddenly heard a very brief high pitched oscillating sound and then nothing. Both tweeters fried, and one even made some sparks on the way out. Quickly went around back and unplugged power to the both speakers, Logic was still responsive, but when I looked at the TotalMix panel, the meters showed that there was still a very loud signal on my two main output channels, which were routed to the speakers that I had shut off. Shut everything down and will go troubleshoot later.

Posting here for two reasons, one to see if anyone has experienced anything like that before, and second for replacement recommendations. I've only been using Mac and Logic since last fall, but been recording on PC since the 90s,, and never had anything remotely like this. I'm suspecting maybe a soft synth plugin, as it happened right as another section of a song was coming up and a couple of synth tracks that had no MIDI prior were just beginning to play, but won't know until I reboot and check it out and make sure I have the latest version installed.

The monitors are the older Adam F7, and I had been considering an upgrade at some point as I'm in a quite a bit larger room and sometimes check my mixes standing back a ways. The tweeters alone are $225 a piece, so I am looking for suggestions on something that may not break the bank, but might be a step up in power. I like using them close up at moderate volume, but sometimes like to turn up and go back about 15 feet or more away.

Well, this is an odd one, was listening to a playback in Logic on my iMac, and suddenly heard a very brief high pitched oscillating sound and then nothing. Both tweeters fried, and one even made some sparks on the way out. Quickly went around back and unplugged power to the both speakers, Logic was still responsive, but when I looked at the TotalMix panel, the meters showed that there was still a very loud signal on my two main output channels, which were routed to the speakers that I had shut off. Shut everything down and will go troubleshoot later.

Posting here for two reasons, one to see if anyone has experienced anything like that before, and second for replacement recommendations. I've only been using Mac and Logic since last fall, but been recording on PC since the 90s,, and never had anything remotely like this. I'm suspecting maybe a soft synth plugin, as it happened right as another section of a song was coming up and a couple of synth tracks that had no MIDI prior were just beginning to play, but won't know until I reboot and check it out and make sure I have the latest version installed.

The monitors are the older Adam F7, and I had been considering an upgrade at some point as I'm in a quite a bit larger room and sometimes check my mixes standing back a ways. The tweeters alone are $225 a piece, so I am looking for suggestions on something that may not break the bank, but might be a step up in power. I like using them close up at moderate volume, but sometimes like to turn up and go back about 15 feet or more away.

Check out parts express.com
They sell all kinds of replacement drivers at all price points. If you call customer service they can point you in the right direction. Hope that helps.

Check out parts express.com
They sell all kinds of replacement drivers at all price points. If you call customer service they can point you in the right direction. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Will see if they have a better price. 225 each is way too much.

I once had a studio monitor where a jack had broken off inside. I opened it up to remove it, in order to get to where it was I had to remove so much parts and stuff I pretty much ruined the monitor. That thing was NOT designed to be opened up for repairs.

Just to say it, if those are anything like real studio monitors or their semi-pro cousins, you don't want "a tweeter" you want a replacement for the blown one, the same part.

Just to say it, if those are anything like real studio monitors or their semi-pro cousins, you don't want "a tweeter" you want a replacement for the blown one, the same part.
Definitely. Looks like the direct replacement with original is 225 if it can be replaced easily. I had been considering upgrading monitors as I am in a significantly larger room than I've had in the past so I pulled the trigger on a set of Adam A8X to replace these. Should be here tomorrow.

Fortunately after a reboot everything on the computer seems fine. Will check for updated drivers for my RME and updates for the synths as well. Looks like just one of those freak occurrences.

Back
Top Bottom