FRFR Wedge vs FRFR Cab

Narzugon

Power User
I purchased a pair of QSC HPR122i's back in the Ultra days. I sold them and am looking into possibly picking up a CLR or Gemini. I'm curious about the sonic differences between the cab and wedge versions of each.

How different are the enclosures sonically? If you tilted the cab back and faced it would it sound the same as a wedge pointing at you? If you put each on a stand would they sound the same? If you sat the wedge on it's side behind you would it sound the same as the cab behind you? You get the idea. Experience tells me that surely there is a difference but thought I would ask.

According to Jay Mitchell the CLRs have no difference in tone, cab versus wedge. I went cabs because they are covered in tolex and look more amp like for my back line.

Hi luke , where did you get from the tilt supports you're using for the CLR cabs? Are they homemade? I need two of those too....

Hi luke , where did you get from the tilt supports you're using for the CLR cabs? Are they homemade? I need two of those too....

In my studio I made wedges, for live use I put 3" pipe Tee fittings, that I painted black, under the front to give me the lift. You can buy legs like a Fender amp has but that requires putting screw holes in your cabinet.

In the case of the Gemini, you can definitely tilt the cab backwards so the drivers are angled more towards you using any suitable amp stand. It's quite common to do this with acoustic guitar amps. The difference is normally slight increases in volume and high frequency as a result of the drivers facing more towards your ears. The difference in the HF is much less noticeable in the case of FRFR coaxial speakers such as the Gemini though, as the dispersion is already better in this configuration anyway even when you don't tilt them. I'm working on a software feature for Gemini that will provide a virtual tilt: Setting a knob on the amp will vary the output as if you were tilting the amp up, but without physically having to move the cab :). James.

It's good to hear that there is virtually no difference in the cabs. I agree with both points. The wedge seems more versatile while the cab definitely looks better if you have a backline. Now for the tough part. Deciding!

Thanks for the replies.

I just got an Atomic Wedge and it's really impressive. It made sense to me that the wedge gives you 3 position settings: wedge, backline (on its side) or float (PA speaker stand) so you get all the options.

All the reviews say it sounds the same as the straight cab. The bass out of it is hard to believe, btw..

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom