FRFR vs Power Amp and Guitar Cab

marshall2553

Power User
Hi,

New AxeFX owner here, had it for 2 days so far and I'm sold already. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to amplify it though. I've been playing it through a SS power amp into a V30 cab with cab sims disabled and it sounds amazing. Organic, present, 3D, everything other modelers seem to miss. But I'm missing out on the cab sims which are half the fun so I've tried running it into a keyboard amp with cab sims on and it sounds good but it's definitely missing something. The mid-range punch and top end hair is just not there. I've tried all the stock cabs, with and without mics, is there something I'm overlooking? Do the RedWirez IR's help this or should I just stick with a power amp and real cabinet?

Thanks!

Tell us about your keyboard amp? I think it's a possibility that it may be less "FRFR" than one might think.

xrist04 said:
Tell us about your keyboard amp? I think it's a possibility that it may be less "FRFR" than one might think.

It probably is, but its the best I can come up with for FRFR right now. Its a Peavey KB3, I have the EQ set flat. I borrowed it from a friend so I could try the AxeFX out FRFR and through my VHT cab. My hope was that I'd like the sound through the keyboard amp enough to pony up for a QSC or FBT monitor but now I'm not so sure.

marshall2553 said:
xrist04 said:

It probably is, but its the best I can come up with for FRFR right now. Its a Peavey KB3, I have the EQ set flat. I borrowed it from a friend so I could try the AxeFX out FRFR and through my VHT cab. My hope was that I'd like the sound through the keyboard amp enough to pony up for a QSC or FBT monitor but now I'm not so sure.

I run both and for the $$$ I would go Reactor unless you want or need silly stage volumes or a wedge. I think the Reactor is much better at reproducing what the Axe has to offer but I will add the FBT does a very good job. I havent played through QSC but quite a few say good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom