FRFR vs Carvin Cab for upcoming gig

Chrose1201

Inspired
So I have posted other questions about FRFR Cabinets but this one is more gig specific. I bought 2 Celestion F12-X200 speakers and had a pair of 112 cabinets built for them. I have a gig coming up this weekend, but I am not ready to use my FM3 on it. I will be using my Friedman 40 Watt Dirty Shirley for the gig. Then it got me to thinking; I wonder how it would sound if I used the new FRFR cabinet(s) instead of my Carvin 212 which is what I would normally use. The Carvin has Celestion GT12 speakers which are just average at best. I played them side by side and tried to go back and forth between the 112 FRFR and the 212 Carvin but it was just hard for me to tell. It seemed that the Carvin moved a lot more air and was deeper but somehow it just didn't sound that great, whereas the FRFR cabinet didn't move as much air but it seemed like it sounded better. Anybody have any experience with using FRFR cabinets with a regular guitar amp and if so what are your thoughts thanks.

Try it and see.

Edit: excuse my lame reply as you already tried it. It’s interesting that the FR speaker sounded better than the cab. The F12’s aren’t actually flat, but they do have a wider frequency response. I think they’re great. Never plugged my tube amp into them though. @Admin M@ suggestion is a good one.

Last edited:
Why not just get the FM3 ready? The amp is single channel. Dial in one amp preset and use it with your pedalboard into the FRFR.

Why not just get the FM3 ready? The amp is single channel. Dial in one amp preset and use it with your pedalboard into the FRFR.
I need a few different presets and tones available and just don't feel ready to use it on a gig. I'll feel better if I have a little more time with it first. But now that I re-read your response that does sound do-able...

Back
Top Bottom