FRFR vs Cab - A death metal perspective & XiTone mini review

ChainOfThought

Experienced
This turned out to be a pretty long-winded reply to another thread, so I’m making my own thread for a little FRFR/cab comparison + XiTone initial impression review. I’ve been running my axefx2 through a Vader 2x12, its loaded with the stock eminence legends that were custom to the Vader brand, powered by a Matrix GT1000FX. I ordered a XiTone passive wedge for my first dive into the FRFR rabbit hole (not counting playing through studio monitors for the better part of a few years) and thought I would try and give the type of comparison that I had a really hard time finding while I was considering what to buy. Probably nothing new, but I’m throwing my $.02 out there anyways.

So I got my XiTone yesterday just in time to rip it out of the box and take it to practice (practice for me is myself and another guitarist, so none of what I have to say applies to keeping up with a drummer or bass). Also right at the front here, I want to take a line to mention how awesome Mick was to deal with. We had set up a time for me to trek out to his location to demo a pair of wedges, but I ended up having to cancel last minute and went ahead and ordered sight unseen instead. Super nice guy, definitely recommend doing business with him if you’re ever in the market for this sort of stuff.

As far as the XiTone itself, it seems extremely well built, super easy to carry around, fit & finish is flawless, there’s absolutely nothing to complain about with it. The bulk of this thread is going to be about FRFR as a concept vs Cab in the room as a concept.

Prior to receiving it I had done my best to set up a preset or two with a good sound through studio monitors, hoping that it would be plug & play from there into the XiTone. Overall that turned out to be successful, but I pretty much immediately started looking for a better IR than what I had picked anyways.

I set up the preset so that Out1-L went to input A on the Matrix & Out1-R went to Input B on the matrix. Left side bypassed the cab block and right side used the cab block—used separate rows on the grid and the output mixer to hard to pan the outputs. This way I could just spin the volume knobs on the Matrix to quickly A/B the XiTone vs my Vader 2x12.

Right off the top, the XiTone in no way compared to the punch, immediacy, and room-filling balls of the Vader. I tried a few different placements for the XiTone, spent most of the night with it sitting on top of the Vader in wedge position, but right at the end decided it sounded better on the floor, a little further from the wall & in the vertical position. I did get a lot more of the low-end response that way, but by that time we were also pretty drunk & tired.

Now, with that said, the XiTone is definitely no slouch. I look at it this way...its a single 12” speaker in a relatively small enclosure...it pretty much sounds & feels like a single 12” speaker in a relatively small enclosure. I have Orange 1x12’s at the house that I haven’t yet had the chance to directly compare it to, but based on memory it would seem to pretty directly compare to that. When I have one of the oranges, its not all that great & doesn’t have all the balls...when I set up both of them right next to each other or stacked, its that bone crushing heavy you love. So, I’m eventually going to grab a second XiTone and hope for the same sort of result. By the end of the night, after searching through some IR’s, finding a good placement and sort of ‘getting used to it’ it was already a good bit better than the very initial impression...so I’m imagining when I go back there by myself in the next few days and really start getting into tweaking a tone out of it, a lot of what I’m saying here might be deemed irrelevant/incorrect, FWIW (and I’ll update the thread accordingly if it is).

As far as tone, its definitely different than playing through a cab, but with the right IR’s, for high-gain (the only tone I tested) its not anything so jarring or unusual that it feels strange or anything like that. If you’ve ever played through headphones/studio/monitors/etc just imagine that tone, louder and with more oomph behind it. There is sort of this strange character to it, the “immediacy” I mentioned earlier, thats noticeably different than a cab. It’s hard to describe though. It’s like playing through a cab, the tone jumps out of the grill ready to punch you in the face, but playing through an FRFR it feels a little more lazy? I don’t think thats a XiTone thing, I think its just the nature of playing an FRFR tone and is probably a LARGE portion of the ‘cab in the room’ dragon that everyone is chasing.

So, for a guy playing death metal with another guitarist who is running a tube amp through a 4x12 in a small practice space...FRFR seems like its going to be feasible, but it remains to be seen if it’ll ever be my go-to rig or if I’ll continue using my cab and have the FRFR as an available utility. I think the XiTone as a speaker is pretty incredible and I’ll be reinforcing that impression over the next few weeks as I really figure out how to dial in an FRFR tone, but I also think I’m definitely going to need a second before it can really compete with our cabs for that punch & power. I’m not talking about volume there, they do get loud, but at similar volumes, the 2x12 just has that kick to it and the single wedge does not. I’m certain that if we got into an all out volume battle the 4x12 would obviously win, but we keep things pretty reasonable anyways so the volume isn’t a big deal.

As a slight caveat to that last paragraph, I DID start to notice towards the end of the night that A) The placement, and B) the IR were making huge differences in how much punch I got out of the wedge. I know this should seem obvious, but in the excitement of initial impressions & everything, its easy to forget. So its entirely possible that I’ll be able to bridge the gap between FRFR & cab to be a lot closer than I have it so far, but I STILL think to realllly get there I’ll need that second XiTone, its just a matter of physics I think.

Hopefully this helps someone. When I was searching for reviews/comparisons it seems like there was always a lot of emphasis on the versatility, convenience, size/weight, and sound of an FRFR. I could never really find a whole lot on keeping up with traditional cabs, how much punch/power they have compared to a cab, or other things of that nature. I’m a guy that doesn’t gig, doesn’t play top40 covers & need tons of different tones, and isn’t terribly worried if my rig weighs 40 pounds or 400 pounds. I play metal with another guitarist in a practice space, sometimes we play to a drum track, & thats about the extent of it for me. I had no real need to go FRFR, but I was dying to know what its really like & whether or not its the next step in my rig progression. So far it seems like its not necessarily the “next” step, but its definitely an awesome addition to the palette I have & will be a great tool to have on hand. As time goes by, as I learn to coax better tones out of it, and especially when I can add that second wedge, my opinion on that may change.

With that, I’ll stop rambling, thanks for reading this ridiculously long thing.

Forgot to mention the fr bypass switch is pretty cool. Not sure if I'll ever actually use it, it takes you to this weird space between frfr and traditional cab. But I could see it being nice to have in certain situations.

I've got a Xitone coming. Thanks for posting and I'll be following the updates.

Right on, I'm sure you'll dig it. I'm already trying to sell other gear so I can afford a second.

Have you tried playing with the speaker tab in the amp block to dial in cab thump? I’ve found that narrowing the Q in the low res, crank up the low res, then sweep the freq for the sweet spot, then back down the res amount to taste, this helps a bit. Then do a similar thing with the speaker compression.

Also some people have good luck using a null mic, and the proximity parameter for cab thump

Hey Chainofthought. A second cab will make a big difference, think of how your stereo sounds with just one speaker, or AM radio, pretty lifeless. I went through this many years ago with my Ultra. However, I tried a pair of JBL SR 15's passives with a QSC 2450 power amp and had very little luck. I later bought a pair of QSC K12's and what a difference, very nice little speakers. My old PA speakers sounded pretty good too, 2 15"s and a 2" throat horn, (huge and very heavy), with dual 18 subs on either side. Boy those were the days! My old basement. Needless to say the Axe FX sounded AWESOME! The best thing about it- NO NOISE! And very loud and clear. Sorry I digress.

I think you'll like it a lot more once you get your other XiTone. IMO it made a big difference. But from what I understand Vader Cabs are Really nice, It will still take some dialing to get ya there. Tahoebrian has some really good ideas above...

On a side note, between Axe FX's I owned a Carvin V3. Very underrated head imo. Coupled with a 412 it was pure heaven, full thick tone.

One more btw, when I used to play gigs with the Ultra, I used a Carvin TS100 tube amp and 412. I played in a variety band so the Ultra was great for that.

Have you tried playing with the speaker tab in the amp block to dial in cab thump? I’ve found that narrowing the Q in the low res, crank up the low res, then sweep the freq for the sweet spot, then back down the res amount to taste, this helps a bit. Then do a similar thing with the speaker compression.

Also some people have good luck using a null mic, and the proximity parameter for cab thump

No I haven’t really had a lot of time to tweak it yet. Mostly just picked through the factory IR’s. Definitely wanted to emphasize that this is just an initial impressions sort of thing. Based on what I’ve got out of it so far, I’m certain that with more tweaking I can get the single wedge closer to what I want, and with a second I’ll be able to take a real crack at getting it to a point that I prefer it over my cab. But we’ll see.

Hey Chainofthought. A second cab will make a big difference, think of how your stereo sounds with just one speaker, or AM radio, pretty lifeless. I went through this many years ago with my Ultra. However, I tried a pair of JBL SR 15's passives with a QSC 2450 power amp and had very little luck. I later bought a pair of QSC K12's and what a difference, very nice little speakers. My old PA speakers sounded pretty good too, 2 15"s and a 2" throat horn, (huge and very heavy), with dual 18 subs on either side. Boy those were the days! My old basement. Needless to say the Axe FX sounded AWESOME! The best thing about it- NO NOISE! And very loud and clear. Sorry I digress.

I think you'll like it a lot more once you get your other XiTone. IMO it made a big difference. But from what I understand Vader Cabs are Really nice, It will still take some dialing to get ya there. Tahoebrian has some really good ideas above...

On a side note, between Axe FX's I owned a Carvin V3. Very underrated head imo. Coupled with a 412 it was pure heaven, full thick tone.

One more btw, when I used to play gigs with the Ultra, I used a Carvin TS100 tube amp and 412. I played in a variety band so the Ultra was great for that.

Oh yeah, I know that second cab is going to be night & day difference. I’m trying to sell my pair of orange 1x12’s right now so that I can snag one soon actually. Vader cabs are generally well regarded for death metal, but hated for recording or much of any style outside of that. The 2x12 IMO sounds bigger than the other guitarist’s 4x12...cranking some brutal shit through that cab is a drug for me, thats for sure.

I’m hoping to get back out there and give it my undivided attention for an evening early this week and we’ll see where I get with it.

Well, I got out here to do some more tweaking...bought the ML Misha pack--I typically avoid signature type stuff like the plague, but I hear so much good about the Djent pack in particular that I just went for it....

I think I'm gonna rewrite that whole first post. This thing absolutely punches notch for notch against my 2x12, and I've actually repositioned it on top of the 2x12 in the regular wedge position, so its not even getting the benefit of floor contact for extra low end. Sounds absolutely incredible, has plenty of punch & kick behind it, feels awesome...I'm loving it now. The Vader still has something extra in the low end response, can't quite describe it, it just feels (and sounds) heavier, but some of that could be cab placement, could be 2x12 vs 1x12, who knows. I've only so far messed with the IR selection, haven't messed with the speaker page or anything, so there's still a lot to look into.

So, initial impression was underwhelming, but having some one on one time & some IR's that really fit the bill has absolutely turned that around. I still want to get a second because I think it'll just be better (when is more NOT better?) but I could easily live with just one of these, even up against my buddies tube amp/4x12.

Wanted to throw that out there until I have a chance to rewrite the book in the OP...

eta: ugh...then I put it down for a bit to give it a rest, a/b'ed again & cab definitely still takes the cake. Oh well, both are badass, the xitone is an awesome little box, I've got a lot of work to do on it...still don't know where I land on the frfr vs traditional debate. So it goes.

Last edited:
A good I/R will make a huge difference! you could go one further and add a GEQ at the end of your signal chain (if needed) to really add or subtract to your sound.

I think part of the problem may be the form factor you chose for the cab. Mick can make a version of the Michael Britt cab that's completely sealed for more bass response. When I demo'ed one of his wedges it sounded good but definitely lacked beefiness, which is why he recommended a sealed MB cab. Plus it just looks really cool. I'm hoping to get one before the end of the year. Bigger cab = more brutals.

Yea I was messing with all kinds of stuff and finished up with a few tweaks to the graphic.

Unfortunately it's seeming more and more like frfr just isn't for me. Even if I add the second wedge and it brings all the low end and whatnot, the character of an frfr tone just isn't competing hard enough with my cab so far. Not that it's not good, or that the xitone doesn't cut it, or anything like that. I just feel all I'm doing is compromising on my tone trying to get an FRFR to sound like I want it to, when I have a cab that already 100% nails it sitting right there with no real reason not to use it. I keep wondering to myself why exactly I'm trying to do the FR thing and coming up short on good reasons... I guess its kind of convenient/cool to be able to crank my recorded tone and play with it, but I'm not really sure its actually going to help dial in a recording tone, at least not any better than using studio monitors would. It seems kind of cool to have access to IR's to play with, but the variety doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day, I just want 2 or 3 good tones & I already get them through my real cab. I don't play live anywhere so portability isn't an issue, and my 2x12 is plenty portable anyways.

I'm just not really sure I have a good reason to keep this thing, even though its pretty cool to have. I feel like even if I could tweak a preset to put FRFR on the absolute top of its game, came up with the best possible tone that would go down in the history books as being objectively the best...I feel like I would still swap over to my real cab and think, "Well...shit." I thought it might be cool also being able to do bass & stuff through it, but I'm managing to rattle the enclosure at volume with a 7 string tuned to B. I know it would be safe to play a bass through it, but again...I've got a 4x10+1x15 stack right over in the corner that isn't going anywhere.

I want to like it, I really do, but I feel like I'm just not the guy thats gonna have any real use for it. So I can spend the next few months sinking another 600$ into a second wedge, probably end up buying more cab packs, spend too many days tweaking & tweaking & tweaking....all to still wind up turning up my Vader one time and just trouncing all over it and wondering what I've been wasting my time & money on. If I played live, especially at venues where you don't get much volume out of your backline because the amps mess with FOH, then this would be a no brainer. But for a couple dudes in a rehearsal space, playing & writing for the fun of it, FRFR just doesn't have the feel or the sound I want.

I knew going into that FRFR =/= cab in the room, but I had to experience for myself what it felt like. Sure enough...its like having a bigger, louder set of studio monitors that can put more low-end in the air. I'll probably spend a few more nights trying to sort it out, get the other guitarist out there once for a second opinion and to actually have his stack to play along with, but at this point I'm pretty resigned to passing this thing along.

One more time for the record, XiTone is awesome, if I do get rid of this wedge and ever do need an FRFR in the future, I'd go right back to them, just for now I'm not really seeing a point to keeping it.

The cab is probly the way to go for you especially if you already like it. That being said it should be interesting to see how close you can get with the Xitone. Did you try the low res settings in the speaker page of the amp block as I mentioned above? This is the key to dialing in your cab thump imo. With stock settings the Q is too wide I think for heavy sounds and the low end sounds like a subwoofer and is too muddy. A narrower Q sounds more like a heavy guitar tone with cab thump

The cab is probly the way to go for you especially if you already like it. That being said it should be interesting to see how close you can get with the Xitone. Did you try the low res settings in the speaker page of the amp block as I mentioned above? This is the key to dialing in your cab thump imo. With stock settings the Q is too wide I think for heavy sounds and the low end sounds like a subwoofer and is too muddy. A narrower Q sounds more like a heavy guitar tone with cab thump
Hmm I didn't mess with the Q, just tried to find the right frequency and amount. Next time I'll narrow down the Q. I actually found the best thing on that page to be lowering the high resonance amount a few notches.

Not sure when the next time I'll get a full night to spend out there will bE... Hopefully soon

I wonder if one of the XiTone FRFR 2x12 cabs would work for you. They're not listed on the XiTone site, but @MicFarlow can hook you up. Several folks here have them and seem to like them for similar reasons to what you're describing.

Yeah I had thought about looking into a 2x12, but based on my experience with my traditional pair of 1x12's vs a 2x12, I decided that the advantage of stereo would be greater than the advantage of a single 2x12 enclosure.

I actually emailed Mick this evening about a return but I think I'm gonna hang in there for a while longer & just sell it on the market if I really decide its not for me. I brought the cab home from the practice space and I'm really liking it here at more reasonable volumes. Been trying more of the suggestions here, but I'm not sure how the changes will pan out once I get it cranked up again. I also finally played some music through it to get sort of a reference for where I'm at vs some tones that I know...man this thing sounds killer just to play music through.

I'm leaning back towards buying a second sooner than later to really give it the full shake and see whats up. I'd be selling my pair of orange cabs to get it done, so worst case is I trade gear that I hardly use at all for gear that I might not use as much as I hope but at least is more versatile.

Hopefully tomorrow night at practice when I stack it up against the 4x12 and give it another go it'll do wonderful things.

One thing I've been debating with it is the -3db pad switch for the tweeter...it usually immediately sounds better when I activate it (so reduce the highs) but I feel like if I'm using that pad I should instead be using some EQ to lower the offending frequencies instead? Just not really sure about it.

I'm in a similar boat. I've been using a Zilla 2x12 with V30s for a while, mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to worry about IRs. I now have a pair of active XiTone wedges, and aside from a trivial cosmetic issue they've been great. I haven't had them cranked up next to another guitar rig yet though, so I'm following your progress intently. Let us know how the next jam goes!

Yeah I had thought about looking into a 2x12, but based on my experience with my traditional pair of 1x12's vs a 2x12, I decided that the advantage of stereo would be greater than the advantage of a single 2x12 enclosure.

I actually emailed Mick this evening about a return but I think I'm gonna hang in there for a while longer & just sell it on the market if I really decide its not for me. I brought the cab home from the practice space and I'm really liking it here at more reasonable volumes. Been trying more of the suggestions here, but I'm not sure how the changes will pan out once I get it cranked up again. I also finally played some music through it to get sort of a reference for where I'm at vs some tones that I know...man this thing sounds killer just to play music through.

I'm leaning back towards buying a second sooner than later to really give it the full shake and see whats up. I'd be selling my pair of orange cabs to get it done, so worst case is I trade gear that I hardly use at all for gear that I might not use as much as I hope but at least is more versatile.

Hopefully tomorrow night at practice when I stack it up against the 4x12 and give it another go it'll do wonderful things.

One thing I've been debating with it is the -3db pad switch for the tweeter...it usually immediately sounds better when I activate it (so reduce the highs) but I feel like if I'm using that pad I should instead be using some EQ to lower the offending frequencies instead? Just not really sure about it.

I think you'd want to leave those frequencies in for the FOH signal and dial in the vibe for the Xitone however it sounds good for you. The audience isn't going to hear the Xitone unless you're doing a small bar gig and using it as a backline with vocals only through the PA. Which will be something I will need to work out for myself. Keep us posted for sure. I've been dialing in what I think are some pretty great tones on my DXR10, waiting on the Xitone and yesterday went back to a preset I created just for running into the FX loop of my Marshall DSL40. I was floored. I wish or want to say the same thing about FRFR. I'm pot committed money wise. I just have to remind myself to place my head in the direct line of the Amp and of course the sound is loud, harsh and I immediately need to move off center to get back to the cab feel that I'm loving. That right there should be my justification. But....I can't get the stars aligned to test this in a full band context. Spring is soccer and baseball season and all of us are tied up with Dad duties.

Yeah I hear you on the Dad duties, I’ve managed to carve out one night a week where me & the other guitarist (an old friend, we’re doing this project for fun) can get there around 6pm and stay till late and not piss off the spouses too bad haha. My kid is only 2 & I work from home, so I do get a lot of downtime still, but its still really difficult to get out to the practice space on an off night.

I don’t play live, at all. Probably never will again. If we manage to get a full set of material down, find a drummer & bassist that will come along for the ride, and have someone come in to write lyrics and do vocals....then I guess maybe we could book a gig or two here & there. But in general its just not in the plans, this is entirely a studio project. It’s one of the reasons why I have a hard time justifying keeping an FRFR setup even though I absolutely had to try one out and see for myself what its all about...I just don’t have most/any of the typical reasons for using one.

I guess my hope was to simplify the overall setup at the space. I’ve got his stack setup so that an Engl preamp is in the loop of a Mesa MkIV, using some RJM gear he can switch between the mesa or the engl & use his G-Major for both. The Mesa has a slave out thats meant for driving an external power amp....perfect match for running it into the input2 on the Axe and hitting it with a cab impulse to record his whole rig direct. So my presets have my dry tone panned left and out to the Vader, IR tone panned right & out to the XiTone, then input/output two has his rig on the left and my IR tone again on the right but straight to the mixer. It’s kind of a mess so I was hoping to use FRFR to get rid of my Vader & just have output1 for me & output2 for him and be done with it.

I brought the rack & xitone home last night so I could update to 10.01 & mess with the XiTone a bit. So I’ve been doing that this morning and I’m absolutely thrilled with it at home in my garage (have a little mini practice space setup out there). I ran some music through it again and really cranked the hell out of that to see what it could do there and its very impressive. Ran a drum track through it to do the same thing and thats also very impressive...played along to that drum track & it was pretty blissful. All the offending frequencies blend more into the mix at that point and you really just get a lot of chunk and great tone.

I’ve got a rather curious offer on the table that I need to respond to with regards to the this stuff, but that possibility aside I’m really leaning back towards buying a second 12” wedge. If nothing else, they’ll do a hell of a lot better for us than the 5” studio monitors I’m currently using for drum tracks and throwing music on during the breaks & whatnot. But I still really feel like I might get to a point where FRFR is plenty good enough to jam with. I’m sure when I go back tonight and plug into the cab again I’ll immediately notice the real vs fake sound/feeling, but we’ll see. I really just want to find a use for FRFR because the XiTone is so damn badass I don’t want to let it go hahaha.

two things....size/speaker complement and mic'd tone vs cab tone. Even a 4x12 frfr wouldn't give you the same tone as it's regular 4x12 counterpart because of the mic'd tone vs cab tone. a 112 will never compete in that arena.

two things....size/speaker complement and mic'd tone vs cab tone. Even a 4x12 frfr wouldn't give you the same tone as it's regular 4x12 counterpart because of the mic'd tone vs cab tone. a 112 will never compete in that arena.

Oh yeah, very well aware of that. I’m not trying to get the xitone to sound (or feel) exactly like my 2x12, or even exactly like a 1x12 guitar cab...that would be ridiculous. I’m just hoping to get to a point where they can sit in the same ballpark and seem like they’re playing the same game. There are actually a lot of things about FRFR tone that I prefer over a cab, even in some regards the feel. But there are just as many things about a “real” cab that I just can’t let go of. That said, I still feel like if I get the second wedge and can dial in the low end better and also figure out what I want out of the highs, then I’ll end up right where I want to be.

My 2x12 punches pound for pound against the 4x12, actually most of the time I feel like the Vader this harder than the Marshall 4x12. So I feel like comparing a 1x12 to a 2x12 isn’t the MOST unfair thing to do, although I do agree that a concrete opinion can’t be formed based on that comparison. I’m expecting a second XiTone wedge to do for that setup what my second orange 112 does when I use the pair of those, its why I want the second wedge.

@ChainOfThought I run 2 powered XiTone's in stereo. I run them like backline. One behind me and the other on the other side of the drum riser next to my bass player's rig. I don't play death metal but I do play hard rock/ heavy metal as I play in an Ozzy Osbourne tribute band. We do it all from Sabbath, Randy, Jake and Zakk. I don't miss my 4x12 cab's at all. Use to run two 5153 halfstacks in stereo and now I use the 5153 sim in the Fractal. Have you tried setting the Lo and Hi cut in the cab block? Try setting the Lo cut to 85hz and the Hi cut to 8500hz and see how it sounds. Those two parameters really help in sculpting the lows and highs in the sound and get a more cab like quality out of the sound. I also have a slight frown type EQ curve set on my global output eq going to my XiTone's.

Back
Top Bottom