FRFR Tip: Give yourself a midrange boost

Ok... so, I've finally got myself an FRFR setup with my Axe. Its finally complete after picking up an 800w Crown power amp running into an SRX JBL monitor.

What this thread is about, is to suggest putting a switchable midboost PEQ into all your patches.

What I learned very quickly (which I expected) is that he low-volume patches I've created, don't have the proper EQ balanced when cranked up. I since tweaked the patches I will use live to sound better at 100db+, but there was still something missing

So I put in a few PEQs to switch on and off, and quickly found out that a generous midboost INSTANTLY gave me the hard "dig-in" feel I get with my 100watt marshall at full volume. At low volumes, it makes the tone stuffy, but at that full band volume, it really sounds killer (due to the Fletcher–Munson Curve).

Give it a shot yourself (again, make it switchable so you can turn it off if you don't like it, and play at 100dB+)

PEQ:
frequency: 770hz
Q: 0.35
dB: +4db
Peaking (if you are using the first or second band)

I might even increase it to 5 or 6db, but for now I kept it relatively conservative.

If anything, its a great solo boost since it will allow you to cut through better.

Used this tonight at a gig, going through my RCF monitor and FOH.
Very nice, it does work a Tyler has stated.

I put the PEQ as a global bock in all presets, after the Cab, and I've tied the Bypass to an External. This lets me engage/bypass the PEQ block in all presets with just one action, depending on the gig.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have some automatic F-M-Curve corrector in the Axe...

First you have to tell the Axe at which level you build your presets - this is the 'default value'.

When gigging you ask the FOH guy which level they are going to give to the audience and measure the level you are having on stage (i.e. by iPhone app). Then enter the respective values in the Axe and allocate them to the respective outputs. The Axe does the rest and compensates for Fletcher-Munson...

Just dreaming... ;-)

I was actually thinking about the same thing today. I might even have a way of doing F-M compensation in dynamically in realtime and not just static.....

I was actually thinking about the same thing today. I might even have a way of doing F-M compensation in dynamically in realtime and not just static.....

This could be done with one of those binaural "head" microphones attached to a super computer. Once the binaural head is in the listening position, software could analyze the SPL and frequency spectrum in real time and make automatic adjustments to some fine grained EQ's.

If made wireless. each audience member or performer could re-calibrate the settings by moving the head to their own listening position. Maybe you could charge a small fee to get your listening position calibrated? and be in the VIP listening spot? It would probably make sense to be seated to minimize your movement from the ideal position once the calibration is running.

Not as dynamic but you could enter the personal frequency response data for an individual and use that in the calculations too. Since each person's response to freq vs. spl is different, that would probably get you closer to the ideal.

Richard

Two thumbs up to Scott on this trick, I remember he did similar post on this mid-boosts trick awhile back. I tried it and like it best before the amp (using before the ODS-100) myself, seems to focus the sound and make it even more "present" and phat.

Real Dumble amps have a nice mid-boost both on the amp front as well as foot swithc (so 2 different ones). To emulate amp front control in up slot, I had used a peaking filter with 2.2 db boost at between 900Hz 1K and Q of .431, with +2DB overall level -- and that seemed to do it.

This works similar wonders and I like the foot dial-in factor. I assign to the exp. pedal I use for gain/drive normally, so have to give that up for this, but the effect works well. As Scott likes to say, "YMMV!"

I should add that Dweezil Zappa has created some pretty sick and wonderful sounds live using a PEQ sweep pedal in front of the AXE II, that may be fun to explore sometime...

Real Dumble amps have a nice mid-boost both on the amp front as well as foot swithc (so 2 different ones).
I thought those were both the same thing, with the mid-boost function duplicated on the footswitch—similar to a Fuchs, which is targeted at the Dumble sound. I never actually played a Dumble, so I have no first-hand knowledge.

I do this too before the amp block, but do a slightly more articulated boost and attach the output to an expression pedal to add between +1db and +8db, so I can roll it in as needed.

My settings are:

PEQ block (on/off with dedicated IA switch on the MFC)

F1: leave gain at 0db (not in use)
F2: 300Hz; Q:0.707; Level: +1db
F3: 600Hz; Q:0.707; Level: +1db
F4: 1200Hz; Q:1.0; Level: +1db
F5: leave gain at 0db (not in use)

I then attach a controller to an expression pedal; with a Range of Min: 0db and Max: +8db

That tends to work great for 'pushing' amps, even high gainers with more oomph when you need it; and with the expression pedal.. it's variable to change on the fly. Extremely useful and simple.

Scott, I'm not following you on the pedal. How are you attaching a controller to the gain of the peq block? Or are you attaching it to something else?

Scott, I'm not following you on the pedal. How are you attaching a controller to the gain of the peq block? Or are you attaching it to something else?

Also....the term "as needed" needs a bit more clarification.

Do you determine this at sound check?
.....what I usually hear on stage and at different venues ....and during the course of the night ......and should I compensate for what I hear unstage ....not sure if it generally works for FOH.

So ....to compensate or not compensate....during..

Ok... so, I've finally got myself an FRFR setup with my Axe. Its finally complete after picking up an 800w Crown power amp running into an SRX JBL monitor.

What this thread is about, is to suggest putting a switchable midboost PEQ into all your patches.

What I learned very quickly (which I expected) is that he low-volume patches I've created, don't have the proper EQ balanced when cranked up. I since tweaked the patches I will use live to sound better at 100db+, but there was still something missing

So I put in a few PEQs to switch on and off, and quickly found out that a generous midboost INSTANTLY gave me the hard "dig-in" feel I get with my 100watt marshall at full volume. At low volumes, it makes the tone stuffy, but at that full band volume, it really sounds killer (due to the Fletcher–Munson Curve).

Give it a shot yourself (again, make it switchable so you can turn it off if you don't like it, and play at 100dB+)

PEQ:
frequency: 770hz
Q: 0.35
dB: +4db
Peaking (if you are using the first or second band)

I might even increase it to 5 or 6db, but for now I kept it relatively conservative.

If anything, its a great solo boost since it will allow you to cut through better.

I added the PEQ to the set of presets that I will use this weekend. What a difference that it made...much better. I mapped it to a Stomp button on my X3 (using it only as a midi switch and volume) so I can turn it off when needed.

Thanks much to everyone for this tip!

My strat and this Axe-II unit has never sounded better (at FW 8.1 )

Tried your suggestion Gamedojo and it really brought my tone out more. It seems to be clearer and cut through better .. Thanks!

Doing this as well except I use Output 1 for recording and put the mid boost on Output 2 to feed the sound system. I switch from the studio monitors to the QSC's with a mackie big knob. Sometimes I get a little crazy and run all four speakers for surround sound..:)

Milestone sound this past weekend!

With a combination of
1) adding a PEQ to my 4 presets
2) upgrade to v8.1 and
3) a replacement of my fender pickups with a set of Seymour Dunkan Everything Axe

Never sounded better...received numerous complements on my playing and my tone.

Thank you Cliff and FAS!!!

I attach it to the output level. I set the Min: at +1db and the Max at +6db. Then I can turn it up or down (pushing the input of the amp) as I prefer.

Likewise you could do the same after the cab if you like. It's all in what you want. Expression pedals make 'dialing on the fly' redundant.

I use an FX Standard, IEM's, 2-RCF NX10SMA close, right in front of me appx. @ 90dB / 4' foldback level.
Global EQ has a low end and high end roll off -5dB/63~5K
Strat w/ HSS, RCF's feedback into the strat giving me sustain that is missing with IEM's alone.
I too increase the midrange due to the roll-off's in the Global settings.
We have to maintain low stage levels, but due to the coaxial design of the RCF's, I can get them really loud if desired, and not bother the FOH or singers!
I play medium gain (Brownamp) w/ BB drive for full saturation on an IA.

I do this too before the amp block, but do a slightly more articulated boost and attach the output to an expression pedal to add between +1db and +8db, so I can roll it in as needed.

My settings are:

PEQ block (on/off with dedicated IA switch on the MFC)

F1: leave gain at 0db (not in use)
F2: 300Hz; Q:0.707; Level: +1db
F3: 600Hz; Q:0.707; Level: +1db
F4: 1200Hz; Q:1.0; Level: +1db
F5: leave gain at 0db (not in use)

I then attach a controller to an expression pedal; with a Range of Min: 0db and Max: +8db

That tends to work great for 'pushing' amps, even high gainers with more oomph when you need it; and with the expression pedal.. it's variable to change on the fly. Extremely useful and simple.

thanks scott,
do you use this in the same manner...so playing (building sounds) at home at lower volume with the expr. pedal to zero, and playing live you fade in some mids...?
you´re adding the controller (with a range of Min: 0db and Max: +8db) to the PEQ´s final level parameter in the mixer section, right?
thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom