"FRFR" that sounds most like studio monitors??

Skyze

Inspired
Long story short, I've tried the EV ZXA1 and Matrix Q12, but neither have been really satisfying to me. But the Axe-FX II into my studio monitors (even just a cheap pair of M-Audio's) is great.

So is there any that really nail that hi-fi studio clarity and detail?? Im about to try the Mackie DLM 8 once I sell the ZXA1, but Im wondering if I should just go right to the RCF NX10, despite it being larger/heavier than I wanted.. No interest in the Atomic CLR due to size/weight.

Any other small options I am overlooking?? Anyone compare the DLM's vs the RCF NX's(Which most people consider the top of the pack)?

Those new Mackie SRM550 or 650s look pretty nice and they have like 1600 watts for $599.00 each I have never heard them though.

Can you describe what "sounds like studio monitors" means to you?

really Hi-Fi, defined and detailed, crisp clear notes (As if you were listening back to a recording in a studio control room, rather than inside the mic'd up iso amp-room) - I see tube amps as having a "raw" sound that kinda just blends everything together, and thats why I didnt like the Matrix Q12 as it gave everything that kind of tone, which I get that most people want.. But for me, not into that sound.

I did get that tone from a Yorkville NX50P (?) with the Ultra, but havent been able to replicate it with anything on the II yet besides monitors.. The Yorkville is too big ideally for me though, and im sure theres better out there anyways.

the ECF's are reaaly nice see if you can get a piar on a 15 day trial, I think you'll like em just fine

unfortunately my music stores locally have junk; basically Yorkville and Mackie (but not any new Mackie stuff, not even the old HD series which ss.org raves about) - so my options are limited there.

I actually just tried my AxeFX II into my old Carvin X100B combo with amp sims off just for shits and giggles, and it sounds pretty nice (although obvious 6L6 flavor).. Makes me wonder if im looking at this the wrong way; maybe I should look into the new Matrix NL12 and play with cab sims off... My only problem is I don't really have an empty 1U space in my rack for the Matrix GT, and I don't wanna go for the Q12 again.. but I do think the Matrix poweramp is nessisary when mixing with the Matrix passive speakers.

I played the most perfect ( to me ) mixes of rock music through the CLR's when I got them... I am used to mixing on Genelecs... I was pretty astounded how much more they sound like studio monitors, than the typical FRFR... Awesome

The CLR is designed to hang with Reference level speakers - like the very BEST studio speakers.

IMHO, it does a pretty damn good job at it too.

I've worked on some higher end studio monitors; the CLR is the closest to 'uncolored' in a powered stage monitor I've ever used for under $3000 each.

I agree with Flyingfadr and Scott. To me my CLR's sound like NICE studio monitors. They are very clear, with great separation across the whole frequency range. Live jazz trio recordings sound like the band is in my room with me. It's pretty astounding.

I have an AX8 and use it with electric and acoustic guitars in a country band. I purchased a Mackie SRM550 because I also play keys and thought with the two channels, and the 1600 watts (supposedly), it would be nice to have a single monitor for both. The SRM550 does well with the guitar however, with the keys, it clips pretty bad on low frequencies. This is especially noticeable with organ patches or even low notes on a piano. Because I'm not playing hard rock/metal, and don't do anything lower than drop D, it has been ok with my guitar however, I suspect anyone playing an extended range guitar, that also uses a lot of lows in their sound, might experience this clipping too.

The SRM550 does have a few different eq modes, but because they shape the eq in an unnatural way (DJ, monitor, etc.), it jacks up the guitar tone, thus defeating the FRFR purpose in the 1st place. To use one of the other modes (beyond PA) would either necessitate changing your sounds to compensate for the eq shaping of the monitor or, tweak the OUT1 and/or OUT2 master eq settings. In either case, unless you run it in full range (PA) mode, you're going to be stuck fighting eq shifts.

Other than the low frequency clipping, the sound of the monitor is pretty full, rich and clear. It does also have a bit of a low, but present, oscillating noise when powered on. This is noticeable even when nothing is plugged into the unit. And yes, I use a Furman power conditioner with all of my gear to keep the sound as clear and pure as possible.

That's my 2 cents.

Mackie 650 is really bad sounding speaker for guitar, it somehow manages to sound both piercing and muddy at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom