FRFR suggestions

Mr.LukeCooper

Inspired
my alto ts210 has blown a speaker it appears. It’s a year and a half old and sounded great for a stage monitor, was light weight, etc.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement.

1) I don’t care for amp in the room (I would just run it through an amp in a room if I did)

2) I don’t need it for a backline to fill a room.

3) I use it for household jamming, and as a monitor

4) I don’t want to spend $1000, I’d like to keep it under $600, don’t mind used gear as well.

So suggest away, I’m intrigued by Yamaha dxr10’s though I know they can great amazing loud.

My favorite is the Db Technologies Flexsys FM8. I did a review of it in the amp and cab forum. The only catch is you won't be able to audition it in a local shop anywhere. I use it as a vocal wedge too. Super portable and light.

For about the price of one DXR10 you could buy a couple of the Headrush FRFR-112s. $299 each.

Haven't tried the Headrush FRFRs but have read some good reviews.

Just a suggestion.

I used to have two TS210's - sold them for a pair of DXR10's and I can really hear a difference, for the better.

I believe the Headrush speakers are re-branded Alto's, BTW.

I've seen used ASM's go for around $700. I use mine for bedroom volume noodling and it sounds great, then crank it up and it's also great for a backline with a live drummer.

I just received the Friedman ASC-12 and it’s incredible. It’s very cab like as compared to studio monitors. It really opens up your ears to how much the AX8 can do. I noticed my studio monitor / headphone mixes were bass heavy. It really helped me tame the lows and get the tones to cut while playing live.

I had a JBL Eon 610, a Yamaha DBR10 and now have two Yamaha DXR10s for stereo that I use in a studio and am very happy. One DXR10 would fit your price range and you can often get them "used/open box" from authorized dealers.

I use a pair of JBL EON 610s with my AX8 and have a backup rig with an Atomic AFB plugged into an Alto SXM112a floor wedge.

Very small for a 12" FRFR and lightweight. Coax speaker setup with a single combo input and a small selector dial for EQ.
Not extremely loud but is great at home for dialing in sounds on the AFB and AX8. Wouldn't be afraid to use it on stage as well. I know they were discontinued but they are still available new and picked mine up cheap.

https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/sxm112a

This thread is perfect timing as I need to get a stage monitor that is also good for dialling in presets at home.

My band has our 1st gig approaching (& my first with my AX8). We have a full Alto PA with 2 subs and 2 TS112, so that's what my AX8 is going through and it's sounding pretty damn good, even though there are much better PAs out there.

Last night at rehearsal the other guitarist turned up with a Helix LT having flogged his tube amp (But that's another story) and an Alto TS210 to use as a floor monitor.

I was quite impressed with the sound from it, but am curious to hear opinions on whether I'd be better to go for a 12" Alto, like their SXM112 so that I get the best translation from patches I make at home to our PA.

I've heard great things about the Yamaha DXR10, but wondering if that's a waste when the sound the audience will hear is from the Alto PA anyway.

I have to say the Helix didn't sound bad at all in the full band mix. It was when we played side by side without the rest of the band that the difference was most noticeable.

Last edited:
It is truly personal taste and budget. You have a baseline now in what you currently have and more important, you like it.
Throw more money at speakers and you are bound to get better sound. My rule of thumb and personal opinion is spend 50 bucks more and get 1% better sound. Rough guide that works for me so far. Now the new HeadRush FRFR is the same price as the Alto TS212 and a visual clone of it. In terms of specs, it seems to have better specs. Haven't tried one yet but will probably buy one as soon as I do.

My mistakes? Alto TX8 which was just horrible. Also tried FRFR on my old PA which had unpowered plastic Peavey 10" speakers and a Behringer power amp. Better but still in need of improvement.

Really up to you and what your budget is. Still amazed at some players with lower cost speakers and great sound dialed in perfectly.

The Line 6 powered cab sounds really interesting but also much more expensive. The one cab I heard through a Fractal some time ago that really sounded great was the Atomic CLR (Neo?) and that opinion seems to be reflected by many in this forum. Some people swear by in ear monitors but I could never get used to that.

Have fun trying out stuff.

A used CLR will be the ticket and you won't be wondering if you should have bought one. I saw a few in the for sale section.

How close is the asm to amp in room?

Has anyone tried either of the power cabs from line6?

I've tried the Powercab with AX8, GT1000 and Helix.

Sounded great with all three once the patches were dialed in for the Powercab.
Pretty light and plenty loud as long as you're sending it a strong enough signal.
Thinking of getting one myself.

Back
Top Bottom