"FRFR" suggestion... (yes, another one..!)

Voivodian

Hi everyone! I want to buy a pair of ""FRFR"" PA speaker to use with my Axe-FX Ultra... My exigences and limitations are;
- Passive
- Match with a QSC RMX850 (200 Watts at 8 Ohms per channel)
- Suitable for low frequencies (8 strings guitar)
- F*$#ing great quality/value ratio
ps: It CAN be active but the price should be really low

I want something fairly cheap... Since I am planning to buy 2 speakers. I am fully aware that cheap and great doesn't really goes together but I am still aware that there is always some product which you pay way too much for only a brand name. I am looking for a reliable and good sounding pair of speakers. Do you guys have any recommandations for me?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Yeah, but a used pair of which ones? haha, thats my main problem... I want some advices and recommandations for brands/models...

Yeah I saw them earlier and they were pretty interresting but they are 250 watts continuous... my amp is 200 watts per channel, so the speakers would be underpowered and not used at its fully potential. I've read that a speaker/amp match is important... a too powerfull used with weaker speakers is bad and an underpowered amp used with powerfull speakers is also a bad thing. I don't really know what to do and I am really lost. To be honnest... lol

Yeah I saw them earlier and they were pretty interresting but they are 250 watts continuous... my amp is 200 watts per channel, so the speakers would be underpowered and not used at its fully potential. I've read that a speaker/amp match is important... a too powerfull used with weaker speakers is bad and an underpowered amp used with powerfull speakers is also a bad thing. I don't really know what to do and I am really lost. To be honnest... lol
Your amp will work just fine with those speakers, you wont be able to drive the speaker as loud as it will go without distorting your amp but that not a really big problem. If your amp is WAY under powered and you have to crank it up until it distorts to get the volume you want you need more power or a more sensitive speaker. Having a speaker with a lower power limit will not help you get that volume so you are still going to have to push your amp to loud. Non of the good FRFR speakers are going to have less than a 200W RMS power rating. I wouldnt worry about matching the power handling to the amps power because you wont be able to find anything and it really doesnt matter that much. The spec you want to look at is the speakers sensitivity. With only having 200W power amp you will want a speaker with a high sensitivity. How loud do you have to get? I can help you calculate the sensitivity requirements you need if you can tell me how loud you need to get.
Or you could buy a powered speaker and everything would be plug and play easy peesy!
What is your budget? Its hard to help much without a price range!

I do not need to get loud as hell, I play at home but I want to be geared enough to potentially jam and do some rehearsal, eventually. I just need to get enough power to be heard in a whole band with a drummer. Am I answering to your question, my friend?

To be in my price range, I will have to get them "used"... And I'm not sure If I will have the patience to wait until the occasion happens. I think I'll need a plan B :/

Oh man... they seem to be great. I can't afford those, unfortunately....... maybe if I find those in used condition.. But I feel like it will be hard to find. Thanks a lot for your help man, I really appreciate it! I guess I will have to buy only one for now..... and buying another one in the futur..

For the Yamaha DXR10 on the last link you sent to me there is only one rating and its 4/5 stars.. plus.. they are 643CAD$ way too much. I think I will consider the EV ELX12S.... maybe

Pretty much none of the FRFR speakers have the options that he wanted to get 5 stars. according to that review the Atomic CLR would have got the same rating. Also, you still havent given your price range so how was I to know that was to much? I think you may be happy with the ELX112s though!

Ok.... I might sound crazy or even noob here but I've saw plenty good reviews out there about the Behringer Eurolive VP1220. They are fairly cheap and people seem to say that they sounds surprizingly amazing for their price. I am tempted to give them a try...

VP1220 -

• Type: 2-way Full-Range Loudspeaker
  • Continuous Power: 200W
  • Peak Power: 800W
  • Frequency Response: 55 Hz - 22kHz
  • Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 93 dB (Full Space, 1 Watt @ 1 meter)
  • Dispersion: 80 x 50
  • Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 14.6" x 23.6 x 16.9" (370 x 600 x 430 mm)
  • Weight: 39.5lb. (17.9kg)

I don't know....

I would definitely suggest the EVs over the behringers! I have never heard a behringer speaker I liked that didn't break shortly after it was purchased. The EVs are a quality mid range speaker, the behringer is a beginner speaker.

Man!!! I just found out that there was a pair of EV ELX passive speakers fpr 400 canadian bucks on a Québécois used item selling website... I will give it a try. Just contacted the seller.... they are 250w but hey, you told me that there would have absolutely no problem running 250w speakers on a 200 watts amp....huh?

Yeah I saw that they were selling them at a good price on this website but its american website and they do not ship this specific item to canada.... i don't know why....

156349canadanopt.png

I know that you said you want two but really, buy great active speaker and work on getting the second. Two crappy cheap non-powered speakers is going to be a huge disappointment. Since you may be playing an 8-string, I feel that in general, your more sensitive to Full Range than 6-string players and you're not going to get that with a cheap speaker.

Back
Top Bottom