FRFR Speakers in a standard CAB

Si.

Inspired
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to replace the speakers in my Marshall 1936 Cab with FRFR speakers rather than having to sell it. (Our band PA isn't good enough to run my Axe through it, so I need to use a speaker Cab)

Theres no rule that says you cant do it. But there will be some pitfalls:

The added low end response of the guitar cab will make your sounds difficult to dial in if you are going direct to the desk as well. IF you dial the sound in for the guitar cab, the direct signal will sound thin etc. Maybe you could find some kind of global eq that makes it passable.

You would need coaxial speakers (speakers that have the high frequency driver in the middle of the cone)
The viability depends on whether you already have an amp to drive these full range speakers and how much the speakers are going to cost. In the end you are probably better off buying a single powered monitor like QSC or RCF.... the Atomic FR would be a good option too.

Im sure the board veterans will jump in and tell you what a bad idea it is but I say go for it if its going to make sense money wise and if you like experimenting! Just lower your expectations and prepare to do more patch tweaking than normal.

Oh and please dont tell me you want to mic up the cab with full range speakers in it..... ive never done this but logic tells me this isnt a good idea.

I've already got an ART SLA power amp, and won't be running anything FOH, all from the CAB onstage.

Am I best just getting an FRFR Passive speaker instead? Will I need 1 or 2 for a live environment?

If you already have the art sla then it might be a cool thing to try.

Why not run it into the normal guitar cab and disable cabsims on the axe? Or are you dead set on using them to get the most out of your axe?

One decent monitor should be enough unless you play very heavy music or have a very loud drummer. Though personally I would opt for a powered monitor... I own a sla-2 and while i use it with my normal cabs, i am sceptical about how it would perform into a passive FRFR compared to a decent quality powered one.

In the design development of any better quality speaker designed for reproduction of full-range audio, the cabinet, it's volume, shape, rigidity & bracing, use and type of internal damping materials, suitability to selected drivers, etc. are integral to the final result.

This includes whether the designer chooses to use a ported, sealed other other style of cabinet design, and the related impact of that decision as it affects low frequency extension and linearity, system efficiency, changes to impedance vs. frequency, and so on.

Although you might be satisfied by using, e.g. B&C coaxial drivers in a typical undamped guitar cabinet, it ain't gonna be "hi fi". It'd be a crap shoot with the major consideration being whether you're easily satisfied.

Not that PA-category monitors are the paradigm of accuracy, but I think if you look for either a decent passive or active monitor that works for you, you're better off.

Money wise You would be better off buying an FR cab, Tone wise I suspect the same, I'm a do it your selfer also and after looking at the cost factor on paper it made more sence to buy something that had already been R&D'd manufactured and finished. Way to many variables in an FR cab unless you have the technical know how and experionce, just buy one and save your self the headache.

I am in the same boat. I have my 4x12's, which I like. I still use my 4x12's with my tube amps, and don't plan on spending more money (at least right now) on full range speaker cabinets. Although the FR cabinets would provide more flexibility, I have a tone in my head that I like, and I can get it using my 4x12's and proper EQ in the Axe FX. I eventually plan on picking up a couple of FR cabs locally (that I will be able to return), and seeing just how much better they sound (if any) than my 4x12 setup.

Back
Top Bottom