FRFR Speakers and the physics of sound

ADinNYC

Good morning,

I live in NYC (meaning I haul my gear on subways) and am looking for a small and lightweight FRFR speaker to gig with. The new QSC Kx.2 series speakers look pretty good but here's my question. The specs of the K10.2 and the K8.2 are nearly identical. The wattage is the same, the low frequency response is within just a few Hz and maximum peak spl is also within just a few dB. So, what would be the benefit of a 10" vs. a 8" speaker be in this case? I'd rather go with smaller and lighter but not at the expense of sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Andrew

Check the dispersion data ( sound coverage angle ) for the two, you might find a difference there.

Please try the Yamaha DXR10. I tried the others and beside the atomic clr which is totally out of spec for your situation they are great. And I got mine for less than $500 each.
Thanks Brian!

Looks like the model is five years old though. With my luck I'll purchase and they'll immediately come out with the DXR10 II.

Yeah not sure about how long they have been around but I got mine last year and love em. Also use them for my studio monitors. There is quite a bit on the web about them; none of it neg from what I recall doing my research.
B2

May also want to check out the Matrix FR10 or 12. I have that and a CLR. The Matrix is not as transparent as the CLR and it's much beamier. But it only weighs 22lbs. I use one or the other depending on the venue.

Good morning,

I live in NYC (meaning I haul my gear on subways) and am looking for a small and lightweight FRFR speaker to gig with. The new QSC Kx.2 series speakers look pretty good but here's my question. The specs of the K10.2 and the K8.2 are nearly identical. The wattage is the same, the low frequency response is within just a few Hz and maximum peak spl is also within just a few dB. So, what would be the benefit of a 10" vs. a 8" speaker be in this case? I'd rather go with smaller and lighter but not at the expense of sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Andrew

Greetings fellow strap-hanger!

This what I would get (powered version)...
http://www.accugroovellc.com/espresso

I currently use 2 Latte's with Axe-FX II, and they sound amazing. However, I plan on buying a powered Espresso for smaller gigs with my AX8.

I've tried the AX8 with both of my powered EV's, ZLX-12 and EKX-15 and they don't even come close to the Latte's. I really think the powered Accugroove Espresso would be a safe bet with the AX8.

Hope that helps.

May also want to check out the Matrix FR10 or 12. I have that and a CLR. The Matrix is not as transparent as the CLR and it's much beamier. But it only weighs 22lbs. I use one or the other depending on the venue.

I also have the CLR as well as Yamaha DXR10, Matrix FR10 and Friedman ASM and agree with this. The smallest, lightest speaker, good sounding speaker I've tested would be the FR10. The DXR10 is a good option if you need the built in 3 channel mixer (i.e you also run vocals or something else through it) but if not I would take the FR10 every time if I was lugging gear on a subway.

I also have the CLR as well as Yamaha DXR10, Matrix FR10 and Friedman ASM and agree with this. The smallest, lightest speaker, good sounding speaker I've tested would be the FR10. The DXR10 is a good option if you need the built in 3 channel mixer (i.e you also run vocals or something else through it) but if not I would take the FR10 every time if I was lugging gear on a subway.
Just ordered the FR10. Thanks for the tip!

There are so many good options but size and weight wise this one really makes the most sense.

Greetings fellow strap-hanger!

This what I would get (powered version)...

I currently use 2 Latte's with Axe-FX II, and they sound amazing. However, I plan on buying a powered Espresso for smaller gigs with my AX8.

I've tried the AX8 with both of my powered EV's, ZLX-12 and EKX-15 and they don't even come close to the Latte's. I really think the powered Accugroove Espresso would be a safe bet with the AX8.

Hope that helps.

The Espresso looks amazing but just a bit more than I can spend. I ended up ordering a Matrix FR10. The size and weight was super appealing.

Hey, would you consider meeting up and giving me an AX8 lesson or two in exchange for food and beer? :)

Thanks!

Andrew

The Espresso looks amazing but just a bit more than I can spend. I ended up ordering a Matrix FR10. The size and weight was super appealing.

Hey, would you consider meeting up and giving me an AX8 lesson or two in exchange for food and beer? :)

Thanks!

Andrew

I'd be just happy to meet up... I'll offer whatever knowledge I have. It would be interesting to hear/see how someone else is using the product. In fact, I'd be interested in hearing your Matrix when you get it.

Just being able to compare the gear would worth it. =:·)

Send me a private message when you a ready to set something up.

Cheers!

I'd be just happy to meet up... I'll offer whatever knowledge I have. It would be interesting to hear/see how someone else is using the product. In fact, I'd be interested in hearing your Matrix when you get it.

Just being able to compare the gear would worth it. =:·)

Send me a private message when you a ready to set something up.

Cheers!

Sounds good, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom