FRFR speaker recommendation?

Forget it, I will look elsewhere. Why does it matter? Because it does to me for many reasons. I agree China is capable of making good products, the FM3 being one of them, and that USA products aren't always great. Case in point my Emotiva processor; nothing but trouble but made in the USA. But regardless of my reasons, I just want to know. Anyway, I won't ask more here. I just thought someone who owns an EV might know and let me know.
You have an Emotiva processor?
So do I ! But I haven’t had problems with it…yet.

My Friedman ASC-12s arrived today. To preface this, I am a complete guitar noob. This is my first ever live rig I’ve owned and played on.

That being said, holy shit. I love them so much. My ears are still ringing and I only turned them up to 2 or 3.

The difference between playing on them versus headphones or my studio monitors is indescribable. I haven’t even messed with dialing in the tones, just using my Bulb copy and the Cooper Carter Petrucci patch, and it’s insane how good they sound. No regrets here.

My Friedman ASC-12s arrived today. To preface this, I am a complete guitar noob. This is my first ever live rig I’ve owned and played on.

That being said, holy shit. I love them so much. My ears are still ringing and I only turned them up to 2 or 3.

The difference between playing on them versus headphones or my studio monitors is indescribable. I haven’t even messed with dialing in the tones, just using my Bulb copy and the Cooper Carter Petrucci patch, and it’s insane how good they sound. No regrets here.
They are really nice... I have a pair. The sound is really rich and full especially if you are coming from monitors/headphones. I have a pair of Celestion F12-X200 cabs (the modeler speaker and cabs to Celestion's specs) and they are both great, and very similar. The only downside is the Friedmans weigh like 65 lbs. each. Get a handtruck, and rock on! I think they have a bit more range because of the cabs. I was a mesa guy all the way until getting the Fractal, so those heavy well made cabs really sound great to me.

They are really nice... I have a pair. The sound is really rich and full especially if you are coming from monitors/headphones. I have a pair of Celestion F12-X200 cabs (the modeler speaker and cabs to Celestion's specs) and they are both great, and very similar. The only downside is the Friedmans weigh like 65 lbs. each. Get a handtruck, and rock on! I think they have a bit more range because of the cabs. I was a mesa guy all the way until getting the Fractal, so those heavy well made cabs really sound great to me.
I guess you guys are running them in stereo? Side by side or stacked?

I did try the laney frfr thought it was good have also tryed the headrush my favorite is qsc or jbl Eon612.. just to say its not what speaker its probably more how to sculp the sound in whatever speaker you have

I mounted mine on stands and angled with one in each corner of the room, stereo.
Ooooh what stand is that? I have a tiny room and it would save a lot of space to do this I think. Right now I'm just running mine stacked, but stereo.

Edit. Also can you get behind it easily to turn it off/on and adjust the level? Or do you have a different way of controlling it?

Anyone know if there's any potential problems/risks to just turning the ASC-12s on their side and putting them on the floor? Like the picture with the stand but sans-stand. The only thing is mine don't seem to have the little rubber feet like the one in the picture does.

FYI, the corners of rooms are considered to be among the worst locations if you want accurate monitoring. Corners effectively amplify bass frequencies.
Definitely.

I take advantage of the fact when using a little traveling Bluetooth speaker, but I want my FRFR cabs and stereo speakers away from them.

Definitely.

I take advantage of the fact when using a little traveling Bluetooth speaker, but I want my FRFR cabs and stereo speakers away from them.
Thank you for the tips everyone. I am short on space in this room, have been buried in work for several months, and when I get moved into a larger area, I will arrange it differently and get them out of the corners. I appreciate the knowledge sharing, I am far from an audio expert, so I want to take full advantage of the gear's capability and not do anything to skew things - like more bass than normal. I have the bass cut switch on, and I will move them and lower the poles. Thank you for the help.

I rearranged some for now. I'm glad I've been doing my workout with squats and bicep curls... The panorama magnifies how crowded it is, but seriously this is my office for work, and I have a larger room I will move the guitar gear and have a computer in there and the Motu. I want to research how to make the room sound really good perhaps with some panels or whatever.

I have a ton of stuff in this one room. I'm just some rock/blues loving dude in the middle of the cornfields of Illinois.

IMG_1573.JPG

I went back and looked at my comments in June. Funny! It has come fun circle! I have been using an RCF NX 12SMA for the last three years in the studio and on stage. And while being very happy with its performance in my music room, it's translation on stage seemed a bit too focused and sterile for live use. I was happy with the tones coming from FOH, yet, I lacked that feel of my old tube amps behind me that I grew up on.

While on a road trip, I stumbled into a music store that happened have a used powered Mission Engineering Gemini 2 for sale. Picked it up for $900, which I thought was a price I couldn't pass up. What a game changer for live use! It has brought me back to the days of a Twin feel on stage. Playing a 2x12 cab is a thing of glory! Each speaker has a 90 degree dispersion and running stereo effects is crazy. On stage, my RCF was so focused, that it was tough moving around on stage and still being able to hear myself unless I was literally right in front of my monitor. While the fan on the Mission is a bit of a drag in my music room, you can't hear it on stage. The EmPower dial is a cool tool that seems to fill a quick fix. The controls on back are a bit of a drag, but so was the volume on my RCF. After owning QSC, Mackie, EV stuff and hearing the Headrush, Alto type speakers, Mission is on to something here! Worth a look for sure! MHO

The first thing I did was to add a set of casters! This thing weighs about 70 lbs and this may be a deal breaker for many and me in the long haul. Right now, rolling in and out of the band trailers should be easy enough. I'll keep the RCF for studio use and leave the Mission in the trailer for live use. The 4x12 IR's come to life on stage. Those of us who played half stacks know what I'm talking about. Enough of my rant. I think you get the idea. Just thought some others may be struggling with similar experiences. Game on!

Great comments but nobody has responded as to where the EV's are made. If China, they seem overpriced.
I own one and agree that it should cost less. I was trying to buy a Turbosound TFX122M-AN, which is similar power and design, but $300 less—yet out of stock for months. That said, I’m still very happy with the EV—it sounds great!!!

Back
Top Bottom