FRFR speaker recommendation?

I have an EV ZLX12P which I assume would be similar to the EV you have. I haven't tried anything else, and was kicking around the idea of the QSC K12's. In your opinion, did the K12's sound similar to your EV's or do you think they sounded better/worse?
I thought the QSC sounded equally as good. They’re are supposed to have a little more power but I’m not sure it would result in more than a dB or two of usable volume; Turned up the EV get louder than I’d want to use on stage so the power difference is kind of a moot point. The EV claims, and they seem to have, a 90° dispersion which made them have a big sweet spot.

One of the factors in my thinking was long term support and it had to be powered.
That took the PAs that look like guitar speakers out of the running.
Still, I like the idea of a PA that looks like a guitar cabinet. :)
Having said all that QSC,EXV,JBL,etc. were in the running and JBL won.
But…the heart wants what the heart wants so if it sounds good, who’s to argue?

This is a bit surprising to me. I've had one for a few years, could never get it to sound right though. Cab setting sounds overly dark, FRFR sounds overly harsh. So basically I'm getting either harsh and/or muddy. There's also quite a bit of low end that I don't particularly like from it. I've gotten better results with traditional 7" studio monitors.
Mine is only a few months old...
Wonder if they made some upgrades since your older one!

Playing out, I tend to use JBL EON615/EON715 speakers as sidefills and floor monitors. Love love love the Axe 3, FM9, FM3 into them. Has to be a loud stage volume night for me to use the FRFR live.

Like most, I'm never sure if I have played with enough different speakers in enough different rooms to really know. I love the idea of the RCF NX12SMA, but holy cow that seems a lot of money for a floor monitor. I have a pair of RCF ART 732-A Mk4 that are generally used for FOH PA duty. They are more than OK for full range front of house, and while I wouldn't say they are clinically flat response, I would very cheerfully use one or both of them with the Axe FX III. If you don't need the low profile floor monitor package, and you don't need the speaker to look like a guitar cab, they probably get you most, if not all of the way there for a little over half the cost of the NX12s. Superb mid-cost full range speakers, maybe a smidge brassy, but less than $1000 equivalent here in the UK. And they really do sound good for pretty much anything, including guitar modellers.

More normally I use a fairly big passive FRFR cab (Greenboy Fearless F115) with a Matrix GT1000FX 2U. It is amazing, but complete overkill. I will at some point invest in a smaller FRFR. However, as the OP must be feeling, the wealth of choice and the huge disparities in cost leave me wondering what really might be acceptable bang per buck. Could be the MF.10 from Redsound/G66, but I'll feel a little sick if they don't sound as good as the RCF 732. I guess it's at least a smaller package where I won't need to roll off as much bottom end. Decisions, decisions!

Liam

I have 4 FRFRs. My Friedman ASC12 is great for playing by myself. It can get pretty loud, but I find it has trouble keeping up with live acoustic drums in a heavy music setting. It can get pretty close to the "amp in the room" feel, so I use it for solo practice/writing. This FRFR is heavy (weight)

For a band/live setting, I have three Headrush 108s. If it's a small club, I can have them pointed toward the crowd and scattered on the stage so everyone can hear me and adjust volume achieving their own desired mix. If it's a larger venue, we have them pointed at us at different locations on the stage. The combined volume that can be achieved is quite loud, and by cutting sub 60hz and above 11khz I absolutely love the tone I get and the guitar sits in the mix perfectly.

The primary benefit of the Headrush solution is they are soooo much lighter...

How do well-mixed recordings sound through these? Are they too mid focused to do full range stuff well?
Have not tried listening back to mixes through them, I use Focals for my studio monitoring. I'll check but i don't get that they are too mid focused when performing for sure. They are full and rich and clear and just sound really good

How is the roadworthyness of these mf10s? They look more like studiomonitors than on stage equipment which can take a little beating...
solid cabs, not like studio monitors at all. At least my MF10s. solid stage like cabs as good if not sturdier than most of my other amps as far as my experience goes. Have gigged with them several times. I bought the covers for extra protection but I think they would be fine without. I'll check the grill to make sure speaker well protected but I've had no attention on it. Super light weight and compact but solid.

Seems like no matter how you slice it, for stereo, it is close to, or over $2k for speakers. I just saw this:

Boutique VFRLR 1 x 12 w/F12-X200 (Cabinet and Celestian speakers, but no amplifier so would need something like the powerstage200). In the end, with tax and shipping, this would be around $1,800. Not sure of the quality of sound.

Back
Top Bottom