FRFR Solutions

For the drunk bar gigs, a 15" coaxial powered Seismic Audio plus a 12" coaxial Seismic Audio powered monitor. Low cost/low risk and they actually hang quite well. CLR when in a nice place.

I am using a Alto Truesonic TS212 12" 2-Way Powered Speaker. It costs around $300 dollars at guitar center. It sounds good enough to practice with. It works well for me.

I picked up an ASM-12 and have had to pull mids down to come close to my patches originally set up in the studio on Adam A7Xs with sub. It sounds great then, but I haven't played it out yet. My intention was to use it as backline and go direct to FOH. However, I'm not convinced that my patches will translate. Anyone have any experience directly related?

I know I'm jumping the gun but I may return it to get a CLR. I play metal and got this based on the rock/metal suggestions.

Thanks.

Eric

After a lot of research on a variety of FRFR solutions (Alto, JBL, EV, Matrix and Atomic) I decided to get a pair or Xitone 1x10 active light weight (25-26 lbs) wedges. I feel that coax speakers work the best for FRFR guitar enclosures and every single review about the quality of Xitone products is positive. Mick is even going to build the speakers as mirror images of each other so the handles, feet and even the baffles are mirror images of each. This is so I can satisfy my OCD when running in stereo and in mono it won't lose anything.

I picked up an ASM-12 and have had to pull mids down to come close to my patches originally set up in the studio on Adam A7Xs with sub. It sounds great then, but I haven't played it out yet. My intention was to use it as backline and go direct to FOH. However, I'm not convinced that my patches will translate. Anyone have any experience directly related?

I know I'm jumping the gun but I may return it to get a CLR. I play metal and got this based on the rock/metal suggestions.

Thanks.

Eric

ive been thinking about getting a friedman for the same application as backline support with direct to FOH. but having to change sounds that I dialed in so carefully in the studio is a concern.
very curious to hear what your experiences are once you go live with it.

I bought a pair of used Epifani UL112 bass speakers. They are essentially FRFR speakers though possibly eq'd a bit more on the bass side. I actually prefer them to the big dollar, dedicated cabs I've bought (and later sold) which were made specifically for modelers. My feeling is that many of the big name FRFRs for modelers are made more for metal/djent guys. I paid $300/each for the epifani cabs and they are 30lbs each.

Thanks.

Eric

I have owned CLR's and the Asm Friedman unit is just as good. You do however need to dial out some of the bass, depth in some pre sets. Make sure the bass switch is off too.
The 5153 Blue channel is amazing with it -also finding the correct IR is key as you already know. Spend some time with em and you will be happy.

I get great cleans, drop Db metal ones as well as classic metal stuff as well.

ive been thinking about getting a friedman for the same application as backline support with direct to FOH. but having to change sounds that I dialed in so carefully in the studio is a concern.
very curious to hear what your experiences are once you go live with it.
Just keep your studio pre sets in a different bank then dial in your live ones for Friedman Asm use With only slight tweaks in dialing back to bass, depth ect I assure you they will be great

Just keep your studio pre sets in a different bank then dial in your live ones for Friedman Asm use With only slight tweaks in dialing back to bass, depth ect I assure you they will be great

the question that comes to mind is, how different is the tone in FOH from what you're hearing in the ASM-12? if you're adjusting for the ASM-12 won't that skew the FOH ? or can you set different EQs for your backline and FOH?

the question that comes to mind is, how different is the tone in FOH from what you're hearing in the ASM-12? if you're adjusting for the ASM-12 won't that skew the FOH ? or can you set different EQs for your backline and FOH?

You'll run into this problem with each and every FRFR you choose. The problem isn't the FRFR but whatever they're using FOH. If you buy a CLR and they are using CLR FOH, you're good. If you buy a Friedman and the are using ASM-12 FOH, you're good again. If you buy a Friedman or CLR and they are using QSC, JBL, RFC, etc, then you'll have to re-EQ.

I've had some time to mess around with the DXR12 and I'm very impressed with it. It's very loud, but retains clarity even with high volume. It's a tad bit bright, but I prefer that type of sound.

I got a great deal on it and currently buying a second DXR12 for ~$400
Can't wait to run them in stereo! I'll probably also get a Xitone, martrix or CLR also, and run the DXR12 as my main, but just running the Axe through them sounds pretty damn good.

You'll run into this problem with each and every FRFR you choose. The problem isn't the FRFR but whatever they're using FOH. If you buy a CLR and they are using CLR FOH, you're good. If you buy a Friedman and the are using ASM-12 FOH, you're good again. If you buy a Friedman or CLR and they are using QSC, JBL, RFC, etc, then you'll have to re-EQ.

True I have noticed my amazingly dialed in pre sets (set up in my studio) sound horrid with a sub level pa.
Fortunately our band pa is all top shelf RCF gear!

Update: I bought an ASM-12 directly from Dave Friedman. I happen to live very close to his shop and he was very generous and kind to meet me there on an off day and sell me the ASM-12. I've had some involvement working with some high-profile musicians and apparently knew of me which came as a surprise.

All I have to say is the speaker sounds amazing. It's the perfect balance between being FRFR and a guitar cab. It sounds almost similar to my Port City Cabs, just with a little more extended high end and low end (as a good FRFR cab should), but without the stringent top end most tweeters in a standard monitor would give you. I low-cut at 100 and High cut at 7k as a standard on all my patches. Patches dialed in studio monitors and the Friedman translate well. Perfect accuracy? I don't think so. Dave told me himself that he was looking to build something that had the thump of a real cab and wasn't too harsh or bright up there. In my opinion, the ASM-12 is perfect for that.

Thanks for the info Rosh..I have a be100 and I did an a/b test with the ax8 thru the loop.return of the be100,sounded really good...it was not as big sounding as the amp.itself with exact tone stack,I then later noticed the fat switch was off in the power amp section of the ax8..not sure if how much that would fill up the 2x12..I should get the Asm, I am a big friedman fan,his amps seem to work well for me and what I want to hear..tnx for the insight:)

Update: I bought an ASM-12 directly from Dave Friedman. I happen to live very close to his shop and he was very generous and kind to meet me there on an off day and sell me the ASM-12. I've had some involvement working with some high-profile musicians and apparently knew of me which came as a surprise.

All I have to say is the speaker sounds amazing. It's the perfect balance between being FRFR and a guitar cab. It sounds almost similar to my Port City Cabs, just with a little more extended high end and low end (as a good FRFR cab should), but without the stringent top end most tweeters in a standard monitor would give you. I low-cut at 100 and High cut at 7k as a standard on all my patches. Patches dialed in studio monitors and the Friedman translate well. Perfect accuracy? I don't think so. Dave told me himself that he was looking to build something that had the thump of a real cab and wasn't too harsh or bright up there. In my opinion, the ASM-12 is perfect for that.
One thing I can't seem to wrap my head around..if using a frfr such as the friedman ASM-12,I understand it's a great match for a modeler type rig,it accompanies a power amp,as in the ASM-12, such as 500 watts of class G power..,could it not drive another speaker with 500 watt? Maybe the impedence values would be a challange but should be a possibility..seems logical to think a 500 watt amp could drive more than a 2x12 wedge..if not it kind of disintegrates the idea of a fly type rig if having to bring another amp head to power a 4x12..makes it a tough choice for me to get a wedge..if it could possibly push another cab of sort I would think it would be a major benefit..thanks

Back
Top Bottom