FRFR Solutions

FWIW I went with a CLR Neo for my AX8 rig and are more than happy with how it translates. I am now seriously considering downsizing my main Mesa MarkV/AxeII rig although the 4x12/2x12 stack still looks better (especially for a chiropractor).

Has anyone tried the Line 6 L2M? I just grabbed one of these, have played around with it and my Amplifire, but am REALLY looking forward to trying this with the AX8 that should be here next week. I have also owned the Friedman ASM 12, but returned it. It did sound good, but was, IMO, way too big and unwieldy for what it did. I also looked at the CLR, but I got such a great deal on the L2M that I had to give it a try.

Yeah, I have an L2T - same as the L2M with a 2 channel mixer. My L2T has been my main source of on stage amplification for the last 2 years. Most of that time with a Line 6 HD500X, but also with a Boss GP-10, and Now I have the AX8. I haven't yet done any performances with the AX8 / L2T combination, but I have used the 2 together in my practice space for a little while. It does sound good for amplifying the AX8. My L2T has been a workhorse, very dependable & practical on stage, though strictly mono because I only have one.

It's definitely a good choice for the AX8. I think you'll be happy with the combo. The other speakers I have been using is a pair of Presonus Eris 8's. These are my home studio / practice space speakers, and they sound really good with the AX8, even a little better than the L2T IMHO. Maybe because it's a pair and stereo, maybe just the way they match up with the AX8 - I don't know. They are near field speakers, and totally impractical for using while playing out, but it's making me consider building some kind of shell cabinet to put them in to protect the cones and using them for my stage monitors instead of the L2T.

I use a lowly QSC k12 and get compliments and hugs from sound guys and other musicians wherever I go. Loud as hell and rock solid for the whole time i've had it.. 5 years +. Anything you get will require you becoming familiar with the speaker and then learning to tweak your tones.

I got my AX-8 a couple of days ago and am learning to navigate on it. I've been using it with my analog rig running it in the effects return on my amp. As soon as I can sell my amp and cab I'll get the FRFR speaker(s)

I've narrow my search down to three.

Atomic CLR

Martix Q12

Mission Engineering Gemini 1. (Does anyone have any experience with the Gemini?)

I like the Bluetooth capability of the Gemini as well as it can function as a sound card.

Resurrecting this thread. I'm looking for a compact full range solution for me to use in church. Compact since my space is limited and something I can keep there tucked away. So far, I've been looking at Tech 21 Power Engine, mackie hot spot, and the QSC K8. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Resurrecting this thread. I'm looking for a compact full range solution for me to use in church. Compact since my space is limited and something I can keep there tucked away. So far, I've been looking at Tech 21 Power Engine, mackie hot spot, and the QSC K8. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Check out the TC offering it looks like it might be a nice inexpensive contender...

Thanks!

The Power Engine wasn't full range, in my experience. In fact, I disliked it so much that it moved me from modelers back to a tube amp, which I played for 6 or 7 years before jumping on to the AX8 bandwagon.

The CLR is only a couple hundred more than the K8, I'd spring for that if I couldn't do IEMs. Don't skimp on your monitor; you've invested in the highest quality amp modeling.

The Power Engine wasn't full range, in my experience. In fact, I disliked it so much that it moved me from modelers back to a tube amp, which I played for 6 or 7 years before jumping on to the AX8 bandwagon.

The CLR is only a couple hundred more than the K8, I'd spring for that if I couldn't do IEMs. Don't skimp on your monitor; you've invested in the highest quality amp modeling.
The pricing works a little differently for me since I get a discount off a range of products (I work for a national reseller). Unfortunately, we don't carry CLR's. I'm looking at Xitone actives for the price. The weight is turning me off, though.

Thanks for all the input. I still haven't made up my mind. Musically I'm mostly a jazzer but I play blues, rock, fusion type stuff and cowboy chords on Sunday (;-}

A lot of the videos I've watched about the Axe-fx and the monitors that support them seemed to be geared to heavier gain drop tuned type of sounds. That's not me. I got the AX-8 because I heard that one of the things that separate it from the competition are the clean and low to medium gain tones.

Does the fact that I am looking for clean to medium gain color anyone's opinion?

I also want light weight.
I really don't want to spend more than $500-800

Thanks for all the input. I still haven't made up my mind. Musically I'm mostly a jazzer but I play blues, rock, fusion type stuff and cowboy chords on Sunday (;-}

A lot of the videos I've watched about the Axe-fx and the monitors that support them seemed to be geared to heavier gain drop tuned type of sounds. That's not me. I got the AX-8 because I heard that one of the things that separate it from the competition are the clean and low to medium gain tones.

Does the fact that I am looking for clean to medium gain color anyone's opinion?

My situation is similar in that while I do like some higher gain sounds, I use mainly clean / low-gain / mid gain tones in the material I play and my monitors have to be more geared towards that. The 3 options you mentioned to begin with all sound great but I for me right now they're out of my price range, especially if I want to run 2 for stereo.

for me, no matter the style of music, i want the most accurate representation of the the Axe is putting out. it's worth it to pay a little more since you dropped the cash for a Fractal product. Just get the CLR, you won't regret it.

FRFR is just what is says. "Full Range, Flat Response". It should serve your purposes just as well as the high gain folks. The AX8 is designed to work in this environment for all of the Amp/Cab combinations.

I decided to with an Alto TS212 for the time being. I need something for this Sunday and next weekend and I've had good experiences with Alto stuff. Got to demo it with my guitar and AX8 at GC.

This thing is meant to be played loud :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Plus, it'll give me some time to save up the $1,400 for the CLR...

Hey ghost219 & jzgtrguy,

Let us know how those speaker choices work out for you when you've had enough time to evaluate them! I may be in the market for something soon and am trying to decide on which "moderately priced" option in speakers(preferably stereo pair) would be a good fit for me.

Back
Top Bottom