FRFR Solutions

jzgtrguy

Inspired
Hi, I've got an AX-8 in transit.......finally. I'm looking for an FRFR solution. At the top of my list is the Atomic CLR and the Mission Engineering Gemini 1.

Does anyone have any experience with these two systems and why would you pick one over the other?

As an alternative I would also consider a PA type FRFR speaker like a QSC K10 or something like that too.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for an FRFR solution. At the top of my list is the Atomic CLR and the Mission Engineering Gemini 1.

Does anyone have any experience with these two systems and why would you pick one over the other?
If I had any experience with those, I would gladly offer it. But...

As an alternative I would also consider a PA type FRFR speaker...
The CLR is a PA-type speaker. ;)

Check the amps forum.. so much info out there. Lots of guys using Alto's and ZLX PA speakers. Also, check out Xitone!

Hi, I've got an AX-8 in transit.......finally. I'm looking for an FRFR solution. At the top of my list is the Atomic CLR and the Mission Engineering Gemini 1.

As an alternative I would also consider a PA type FRFR speaker like a QSC K10 or something like that too.

Thanks in advance.
The CLR Neo is the best FRFR I've heard.

Has anybody tried or used the JBL SRX-812P?
I have a couple, but haven't had a chance to use them at live volume as yet - they sound great at low volume though

pretty much any decent FRFR or even decent powered monitor can sound pretty good to great, it's just that the CLR is at another level of ACCURACY. Too accurate for some. Their presets don't translate and they blame the speaker when they've been overcompensating for less accurate speakers before.

Before I had the CLR I had an EV ELX....it sounded perfectly good to great....but it wasn't on the CLR's level...

pretty much any decent FRFR or even decent powered monitor can sound pretty good to great, it's just that the CLR is at another level of ACCURACY. Too accurate for some. Their presets don't translate and they blame the speaker when they've been overcompensating for less accurate speakers before.

Before I had the CLR I had an EV ELX....it sounded perfectly good to great....but it wasn't on the CLR's level...

Agreed I love my CLR Neo... My RCFNX12SMA is now my back-up.... On a side note are you Cutting any Low or High EQ in the Cab Block on your Presets?

Agreed I love my CLR Neo... My RCFNX12SMA is now my back-up.... On a side note are you Cutting any Low or High EQ in the Cab Block on your Presets?
i cut at 8000 for highs, used to low cut as well but with newer IR's doesn't seem to be necessary.

For me it would be either the CLR, XiTone (Walliman Model), or FriedMan AXM 12 on the high end.

On the low end the new Alto Truesonic TS212.

Take your time choosing it will have a big impact on your enjoyment.

I'd just order them all on the credit card and send back two. Hate to say it but it's not like you can demo most of this stuff anywhere.

Has anyone tried the Line 6 L2M? I just grabbed one of these, have played around with it and my Amplifire, but am REALLY looking forward to trying this with the AX8 that should be here next week. I have also owned the Friedman ASM 12, but returned it. It did sound good, but was, IMO, way too big and unwieldy for what it did. I also looked at the CLR, but I got such a great deal on the L2M that I had to give it a try.

With my AX8 on the way, I also started looking at FRFR's.
My worry with the Friedman ASM would be a similar problem I had
with the Kemper Powerrack. That is, if I got a sound I really
liked with a cab on stage, it sounded like monkey farts in the FOH.

I've read time and time again that the ASM's are pretty bass heavy and
"Guitar cab" sounding in comparison with other FRFR's.
Wouldn't this potentially mean that if I dial my tones in on that, that they will
sound brittle and anemic in the FOH?

WOuldn't a very flat FRFR be a better choice, that would have a better chance
of transferring to FOH?

I know the RCF seems good, but it a little out of my price range atm
(Bought a full monster stack of an amp and two new custom built
axes just this year :eek: )
How about the EV's? The ELX or ZLX seem like good choices perhaps?

With my AX8 on the way, I also started looking at FRFR's.
My worry with the Friedman ASM would be a similar problem I had
with the Kemper Powerrack. That is, if I got a sound I really
liked with a cab on stage, it sounded like monkey farts in the FOH.

I've read time and time again that the ASM's are pretty bass heavy and
"Guitar cab" sounding in comparison with other FRFR's.
Wouldn't this potentially mean that if I dial my tones in on that, that they will
sound brittle and anemic in the FOH?

WOuldn't a very flat FRFR be a better choice, that would have a better chance
of transferring to FOH?

I know the RCF seems good, but it a little out of my price range atm
(Bought a full monster stack of an amp and two new custom built
axes just this year :eek: )
How about the EV's? The ELX or ZLX seem like good choices perhaps?

I've heard good things about the ASM too, but yeah sounds more like a cab but doesn't translate well, colors the tone yada yada.

I look at it like this - very simple. If you are going to dial in and play through the ASM, then plan on always doing that. Play through it at home and at the gig if it can handle the room. Don't go direct - or have a different set of tones you've dialed in with studio monitors for that.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too - go with a CLR. It will translate better direct.

Thanks in advance.

Don't forget about XiTone cabs!

Back
Top Bottom