FRFR Recommendations

Tracy Lupher

I am looking for speaker recommendations for my Axe II XL+. I've seen some people say to get a FRFR speaker. Ideally, I would like to send a stereo signal out, so I suppose I need some 2x12 speaker. I am mainly going to use the speaker at home and for small gigs.

The Gemini 2 is the only FRFR solution that I know of that has stereo output. When people run stereo they typically have two separate speakers.

Atomic CLR is a popular option. Xitone is also well liked. These are more expensive options. For the budget conscious many like Alto TS series speakers. I have a JBL EON with a 10" woofer. Reasonably priced at $349.00 and very light. Perhaps not the flatest or most transparent option, but it works for my back and my wallet

I forgot to mention the Friedman ASM12 and the QSC K12. I used to have a pair of K12s. They were decent. However they are only a little less expensive than a Xitone or CLR. If I had the budget I would choose either CLR or Xitone over the K12s.

Depending on your small gig scenario, even a pair of decent studio monitors might work. You don't have to put out in stereo to get great sound, but some effects are clearly geared for it. Maybe you could share your planned budget. Just about every normal speaker is in use by someone here, so you'll get plenty of opinions. You can also search previous posts. There's been a ton of similar threads on this topic.

Ive used a Friedman ASM for a year now on the road. Its heavy, bulky and unweildy but it sounds great. No stereo input or combo input jack, XLR only. Im looking at potentially moving to a CLR Neo or Gemini 1 as the Gemini 2 seems giant. The gemini really appeals to me in that its in a traditional 1x12/2x12 form factor in terms of getting road cases for it. I travel a bunch and my stuff gets lugged around by other dudes into the back of a bus and my Friedman has been in a padded cover but its still pretty rough. I didnt want to shell out the 3-500 bucks to get something custom made if i didnt keep it, or it broke.

has anyone tried to replace the speakers in a normal guitar cab with lets say Celestion f12-x200? now that's a really new speaker, but, there are others out there. my idea was to get a rectifier 2x12 cabinet or similar, hopefully empty, and replace the speakers. but im thinking that will be really bassey and not really sound all that good. Ive seen and actually used a tech 21 1x12 and that had a chunky bass response. but what can you expect from a 300$ cabinet. by the way im running through a crown xls1002 power amp. some one mentioned somewhere a pair of adam a7x studio monitors and those just sound perfect. that's what Ive been going through for now. what would be an equivalent of those in a 12" cabinet? passive mind you.

If you want it to sound perfect like your monitors get two CLRs. If you only want to get one then turn off one of your monitors. It will sound similar to that. It is the closest to a flat studio monitor of the choices.

Back
Top Bottom