FRFR recommendations (used, ideally)

Wildwind

Experienced
Search proved confusing, hoping for a short answer.

I don't want to spend big money. The range of power PA cabs is daunting to me, and those that work fine for voice don't match well with the Axe II.

So if someone could recommend a powered cab that really shines for this use for not much $$, I'd appreciate it. It's mainly for home use with some light gigging, don't need a ton of power. But I do want some good thump and attitude. I currently run an old Mackie SRM350 and Tech 21 Power Engine. The Mackie sounds better to me right now (need to dial the Axe for the PE, haven't done that yet), but I know there is newer and better.

I look forward to your suggestions. No price cap, really, but let's say $500 for starters.

Thinking about those. I had a pair that got sold to help finance the Axe II. The old Mackie didn't seem like such a huge step down and is okay, but wish I could try the K10s again. Even so, the K10s seemed a little light on punch and got a bit lost on stage, was thinking maybe a 12-inch would be better. Or something with a different design using a smaller driver.

I'm not so concerned about the FRFR thing - I want it to sound great with the Axe II, whatever the scope may read.

I use a pair of EV ELX112P's for practice and stage. They have plenty of power and as far as thump goes they have plenty for me. (My keyboard player complains, so they are obviously loud:)) I run mine with the bass rolled off as I use them as floor wedges (which accentuates the low end.) You actually don't need a pair for a stereo feed because the EV has two inputs. The only issue is that for stereo FX etc. you may get some phase cancellation. I compared JBL PRX12's and QSC, but preferred the EV. (I actually use JBL PRX15's for main monitors, but I prefer the EV, and it has the bonus of the 2nd input.)

Last edited:
A lot of people recommend the Alto TS115a's. They're around $300 - $350 new, so used you could probably get one for as low as $175.

Test them out first. I loathe mine but it's good for tuning to crappy sound systems :)

Unfortunately not only am I not able to try them before I buy them, but I wouldn't know a crappy speaker since I don't use FRFR speakers at all, this would be my first. =/

There are MANY posts on this topic in the forum. I own a pair of EV ELX112P and think they sound pretty darn good.

LD Systems Mon 121A if you're tight on money. Otherwise RCF NX12-SMA (or NX10-SMA).
I would absolutely avoid the FBT Verve 12mA. QSC K10 is better but still not good enough to feel right.

Check out the dB Technologies Flexsys Fm10. I hated it the first week I had it but once I found the right EQ curve to send it output 2 its GREAT. oh its a coaxial speaker.

Whatever you're looking at, TRY it before you buy it... everyone has different tastes, and different levels of what is tolerable. I tried the QSC K12, and returned it... it had over-hyped low end, brittle high end, and didn't sound right to my ears ( I'm used to working with Genelec monitors in my studio )... the Verve 12ma was the closest thing I found to the sound of the Genelecs ( other than going over $1,000...)

For 500 it should be possible to find a used Atomic, wich in my ears sound really nice.

Back
Top Bottom