FRFR recommendation for Axe-Fx III (not the Atomic CLR)

The RCF NX12SMA is the only other one I’ve used for extensive gigging. Sounds great, but it’s expensive. I did use an older 50 watt tube Atomic Reactor briefly (still have it), but the newer speakers have improved the breed significantly.

Good luck!
+1 for the RCF, great sounding and very reliable. Its ergonomics are the absolute worse, with a stupidly horrible handle, and annoying weight distribution, but once you play through it, you immediately forgive the Italians for such a bad design.

I just replaced my Headrush 112 pair with a pair of Friedman ASC12s and hooked them up tonight. The headrush speakers I got initially because the FM3 was my first modeler and was slightly impulsive where usually I research a lot more. I am not an audio genius so it's hard to describe how much they sound better. I was able to put some treble back on my presets (Especially Plexi & JVM presets) where I had rolled it off pretty significantly. Definitely not so harsh I would say. More amp-like. The Mark V preset sounds like the Mark V tube combo I actually owned for a long time. Same with the Recto. I am just starting to find that my IR cabs on the FM3 I thought were unusable for me, sound a lot better and really usable. I am happy with the Friedman cabs. I am not putting down the Headrush 112s, especially at their price, but if I could do it over I would have gone mono for a while and added the second cab since I do have monitors for recording my noodling and covers. I have them up on stands which I really like. I ran the Headrush flat (contoured adds bass and is good for listening to music). I have the bass cut on with the Friedman's but it's not a drastic change). Now let's see what this forum has me upgrade to next, lol... but for now very happy rocking here in the cornfields of Illinois.

Hello all,

I have read through many threads here and elsewhere regarding FRFRs for the Axe-FX III, and I decided to go with an Atomic CLR. Though it was originally listed as in stock, it seems that it actually wasn't. I haven't gotten any response whatsoever, and am thinking about cancelling my order (or even disputing the charge with my credit card company) because the customer service isn't what I would expect from a small company catering to a relatively niche market.

Now I'm looking at alternatives, and would like some thoughts. I don't play live gigs / out at all, and am wanting the FRFR just for playing at home and in my home studio. I primarily play harder music (metal / djent / prog) but don't want to be limited as I also enjoy many other types of music. I was hoping to get something relatively neutral to take full advantage of the Axe-FX III's modelling capabilities.

Some that I'm considering are:

Friedman ASM12
Xitone - GRFR 12" active wedge OR 12" active wedge OR 12" open/closed back cab)
QSC - K12.2 OR KW122
Mission Engineering - Gemini Wedge OR Gemini 1 OR Gemini 2

I'm not sure that I need the connectivity of the Gemini 1 or 2 (especially Bluetooth and such).

I'm open to suggestions regarding those choices or any others. I had originally thought about a Matrix FR212A, but that is also out of stock. Right now, my Axe-FX III is just sitting, and I'd like to start using it sooner rather than later. That being said, the overall sound quality is what matters to me, and I'd like to make the best choice that I can.

Thank you for your time and help.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
I use 2 friedman asc 12's and love them. Yes they are heavy but they sound like real cabs.

I have the Mission Gemini II, I wanted the amp in the room sound, and I think it sounds really good. My only complaints would be: The stereo separation is not great (it's 2 speakers close together), it is heavy and bulky and could have better handles. Also, I paid extra to have the Bluetooth option which is very disappointing, it has a very low volume when streaming music. Not sure how they wired that system in, but I thought I would be able to crank music through the speaker, it has the power, but it's no louder than a small portable bluetooth speaker.

Any thoughts on best solution in Australia? Some of these favourites are hard to get hold of here.
I know the Friedman’s are available from Deluxe Guitars, I might be moving on my asc10 pair, but I doubt I’ll ship, will mist likely keep it local ie Victoria.

I have the Mission Gemini II, I wanted the amp in the room sound, and I think it sounds really good. My only complaints would be: The stereo separation is not great (it's 2 speakers close together), it is heavy and bulky and could have better handles. Also, I paid extra to have the Bluetooth option which is very disappointing, it has a very low volume when streaming music. Not sure how they wired that system in, but I thought I would be able to crank music through the speaker, it has the power, but it's no louder than a small portable bluetooth speaker.
I've always wondered how the gemini ii and friedman asc-10 compare. Does anyone have experiance with both?

I own the friedman but it was a hard choice between them. (I couldn't hear either of them out outside of youtube vids before purchase)

I'd recommend listening to an Electro-Voice PXM-12MP if you can. Small, light, powerful, onboard DSP to help with room correction, coaxial, etc. And not too expensive.
I have two and really like them. It's easy to carry both, along with my guitar or board with the FM3+FC6. I could carry everything but I don't mind making two trips to the car.

I added four additional feet so I can set them down when carrying by the handle next to the panel without tearing up the finish, and four more so I can rest it on the second angle if I need projection with a little extra tilt. I also got right angle adapters for the XLR and the IEC power, so I can stack them vertically if stage space is cramped.

Love my ASC-10s! They are fantastic. I've put some fender tilt back arms on mine and man do they sound killer!

I like the XiTone 12" active wedge. I can't speak for the others.
Hey Henry! I've got the xitone M Brit version which has both open and closed back FRFR as well as other options. Just did 8 shows with it and loved it. I like the sound better then the CLR, which sound "clearer" maybe but a bit harsh to my ears and the Xitone is warmer. Just wish it was lighter. The neo option with the CLR is great, but now the thing intermittently crackles after two amp fixes earlier. Wishing for a lighter Xitone type. The GRGR is lighter but I don't think it is FRFR.

Hey Henry! I've got the xitone M Brit version which has both open and closed back FRFR as well as other options. Just did 8 shows with it and loved it. I like the sound better then the CLR, which sound "clearer" maybe but a bit harsh to my ears and the Xitone is warmer. Just wish it was lighter. The neo option with the CLR is great, but now the thing intermittently crackles after two amp fixes earlier. Wishing for a lighter Xitone type. The GRGR is lighter but I don't think it is FRFR.
Hey Dave! The GRGR is the light one. Are you aure they're not FRFR? Or is there another light XiTone 12" wedge?

Back
Top Bottom