FRFR Open back cabinets ?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Just wondered if anyone has tried this before. There was another thread out there about open back cabinets and how they filled the room more and added some dimension.
I have two 1x12 open back cabinets, and I'm now thinking about replacing the speakers with FRFR speakers and running stereo with them. Or maybe mix an open and closed back - I don't know !
Just wondered if anyone has experimented with something like this before. :)

Everything Xitone makes is great, and Mic will surely be glad to answer any questions you might have

That said, I've found my CLR fills the room every bit as well as my 1x12 open back cab used to. Open back makes sense when its a real beamy closed cab, very directional typical guitar cab, however, a good FRFR has such nice spread I find it really fills the room wherever I'm standing, as such, I don't know if open back FRFR really makes a huge difference, though I haven't personally tried one

Given that we aren't in the room with that cabinet, and instead are simply hearing it as it was recorded at a microphone location, and then playing it back on differing systems I don't know how much can really be judged from a video.

Its essentially like trying to tell how something taste by looking at a picture.

Yeah - What I was thinking of doing, since I already have the two 1x12 open back cabs, is replacing the current guitar speakers in them with something like a Celestion FTX1225. Something that would do FRFR. But I don't know if I've ever heard of someone doing that. Putting an FRFR speaker in a guitar cabinet.
And it would be much cheaper than getting a xitone wedge or something similar..

Given that we aren't in the room with that cabinet, and instead are simply hearing it as it was recorded at a microphone location, and then playing it back on differing systems I don't know how much can really be judged from a video.

Its essentially like trying to tell how something taste by looking at a picture.

I think most know that's a given... but It does give you a basic idea, What you can tell that is that it doesn't sound bad and based on how it sounds through my iMac speakers that it will probably only get better!

@Jimmytwotimes As to converting a 112 guitar cab to a FRFR cab is doable (choice of the crossover will play a big part) but it would probably be more FR than FRFR especially if it's open back.

Mick at Xitone did a 412 FR build and here you can hear the slight differences with one common denominator, that being the comb filtering going on in both designs inherent of 412 cabs.

Back
Top Bottom