Frfr, nothing above CLR

kingston

I am newbie starting my way around modelling.

Generally Clr/Friedman seems to be top of the line of frfr cabinet.

Not that they are cheap, but they are definately within reach.

Are they really the best not matter the price. How about brands like Meyer sound and the like?

I am also interested in this, and if Meyer and alike would beat them all: Would you guys prefer a top of the line mono rig or a good stereo rig that costs about the same?

I believe when Cliff and Co. where demoing either the FX-8 or AX-8 at one of the Fractal get-togethers, they were running through Meyer monitors, and I believe when I looked them up, they were in the ballpark of $5K ea. Found the video, link is below. I don't know where I read or heard that they were Meyer.

I am also interested in this, and if Meyer and alike would beat them all: Would you guys prefer a top of the line mono rig or a good stereo rig that costs about the same?
In my opinion , I'd prefer a stereo rig any day!

'The best' is always going to be a debatable topic and is further complicated by what role the speakers are going to play. EG Just for studio/recording/home use or for live use.

Most if not all of the currently popular FRFR 'stage ready' cabs are probably good enough to use as long as you set up your presets at the correct volume on them .... and audition them in a full band rehearsal to make sure they cut through.

If you're planning to gig them a lot then they need to be robust too.

Sending the same signal that works with your stage cabs to FOH will or won't need further EQ'ing by the desk - but that's nothing new ... that's the FOH's normal job and changes from venue to venue.

For home use only ..... then Studio Monitors are prob the way to go as you'll be mixing everything else on the project on the same speakers - spend what you feel comfortable with - but remember your room acoustics can make a horlicks just as much with a 10k set of monitors as a 0.5K set.

If you feel more money=better then buy the most expensive FRFR solution you can afford that has favorable reviews - the main difference between them all is your ears and how you EQ your presets. All you need to remember is that you're not listening to a normal guitar cab - you're hearing a mic'ed up guitar cab through something that maybe looks like a normal guitar cab.

I'm sure Meyer could build you something custom that cost a ton of money, if the CLR and other mass marketed "high end" personal monitor solutions don't meet your standards of "the best"

I'm sure Meyer could build you something custom that cost a ton of money, if the CLR and other mass marketed "high end" personal monitor solutions don't meet your standards of "the best"

I don't have any standard yet
Reason I ask is because I compare it to the analog route. Top power amp and a top cab for €1000,- that is fair

Meyer > than CLR. It is a total different price point though and Meyers are super heavy. Even the 2x10 which are the ones used to demo tha ax8 in that videos are pricey and heavy

Everyone is different with their specific needs, etc. I have been playing guitar since 1985 and for me, I've always tried to find a balance with price and quality. I've never bought the most expensive gear but also know that going to cheapskate route always results in frustration and getting exactly what you want months later. :)

I was one of the first to get the Friedman ASM-12 when it came out and went into the purchase completely blind so to speak. I had not heard any clips, read any reviews, etc. other than one. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect because even though one person had a video uploaded, you never know what studio tricks, etc. are being used.

I already had owned a 1x12 Xitone wedge and a Matrix 1x12 cab (the light one). Both were outstanding but as a hard rock/metal guy, there was something in the mids that was too "flat" for my type of tone. I couldn't put my finger on it. I adjusted the EQ, etc. and like I said, sounded great but just wanted to keep searching. I had my eye on the CLR for awhile right when the ASM-12 came out. The ASM-12 was cheaper at the time and nobody had one yet so I was like "what the hell, let's take a chance". I knew that with Friedman quality and expectations, it would at least be decent.

As soon as I plugged into the ASM-12, I felt like I was sitting in front of a guitar cab and instantly I knew I made the right decision. I was smiling and had this "finally!" feeling. Some people want a flatter, more transparent solution and I get that. For me, the Friedman does exactly what I want. With Cliff's adjustments over the past few firmwares, the tones have even got more realistic. I can adust a few things in the CAB block of the Axefx, dip the mids, and it sounds like I'm playng thru a guitar cab.

I still talk about it all the time but really want another Friedman ASM-12 so I can get the full effect. I don't even gig anymore but just thought it would be great to have that setup in my house.

I'd say, take everyone's advice here and there but go with whatever fits your budget, tone needs, etc. I really don't think you can go wrong with any solution. They are all great. Like anything, we all have different tastes in regards to tone.

I believe when Cliff and Co. where demoing either the FX-8 or AX-8 at one of the Fractal get-togethers, they were running through Meyer monitors, and I believe when I looked them up, they were in the ballpark of $5K ea. Found the video, link is below. I don't know where I read or heard that they were Meyer.
I remember reading that they were Friedman's.... but I have been wrong before...

Buy two of the Meyers and make a stereo rig from that. If money isn't an object, go all out.

As for comparing a top of the line Fractal/Monitor rig to a top of the line single amp/cab rig, you're into that apples/oranges thing. The Axe FX isn't one amp and cab. I'd be curious to know if someone has actually added up the market value of all the amps, cabs, FX, and routing systems available in one Axe FX XL+. That would be the comparison figure unless, of course, you are simply buying the Axe Fx to model only one amp and cabinet. I can't say that would be a bad thing, but if that's all you need an AX8 and any decent FRFR will get you there for a fraction of the cost.

As others have mentioned, better is in the ear of the listener. I use an RCF brand monitor, others use JBL, Atomic, regular amps, Matrix, Xitone, Friedman... the list goes on and on, each being "best" to their users. It's like picking anything else, best is what best is to you. It's great to have so many possibilities, so many options.

Meyer is not in the market of light/portable/economical FRFR. They are so expensive that no one has done a shoot out between them and CLR speakers. I would not be surprised if you could get a better response from a Meyer rig than a CLR, but you will have to procure one and test it yourself to find out because no one else has done this comparison and reported on it.

XiTone's. I run 2 in stereo on each side of the stage for my backline. Sounds incredible. I'm not missing any amp in the room feel.

Back
Top Bottom