FRFR Monitor question!

Well hello there forum people. I'm going for a pretty high gain metal tone, some might call it djent but I find the word itself funny, I dunno. anyway, the preset that fits my tastes so far is "thick and chunky" but I will definitely tweak around and get the absolute perfect tone later, but that's beside the point. I've just been playing with headphones plugged into the axe fx ii and I'm looking into getting a powered monitor (not a studio monitor, a live one I guess) to plug into. I play with a band whereas my other guitarist has a big marshall stack and our drummer plays super loud so It's gotta be something that can keep up. someone suggested the Mackie hd1221, but I read somewhere it doesn't work well with high gain tones? Was hoping to get some insider info from the fractal nuts themselves on this.

Let me know what you guys think about it. As far as I understand FRFR is the best for the axe fx.

Thanks

I run a pair of Mackie HD1221s. I have experienced no problems with either of them thus far. I originally just used one but I wanted another speaking moving some air around behind me. I use them as my backline when playing. The AF2 goes direct to FOH for the main mix. My style of music is hard rock with some metal influences. I primarily use the 5153 amp model. I have found the Mackies are very good at reproducing unaltered sound. There might be a touch of coloring but not enough for me to complain. I'm guessing people that have issues with the high gain sounds probably need to work on their settings a bit more. Not sure though...

IMHO it is important to make your own picture! I highly recommend to go with your Axe to a bigger dealer with many FRFR solutions and check different price points and sizes! I can imagine what the next 10 posts will tell ... but they can`t tell any truth - because there is no ... for example: I remember the days the Verve12a was highly recommended, after that the QSC K10 / K12 where riding thru the Forum village. After that the RCF NX12SMA came up and was THE recommended big thing ... right now it`s the Atomic.

I checked the QSC K10 myself and also listen to a RCF NX12SMA at a FRFR shootout at a germans Axe-Fest - aside many other solutions. All i will say: I was extremely surprised about the RCF, because my anticipation after reading all about was absolutely not fullfilled. Not meaning that they are bad, but truly totally different to what i expected.

The Atomics FRFR i heard at the Dutch Axe-Fest. Sounds good to me, but they still what they are: FRFR Monitors. No "marvel machines". For myself i have a old trusty db M12-4 Wedge, which sounds to me very musical and a Matrix Q12A, which i really like also. For your demands i could imagine, that those two (which i really like for myself) won`t be the right ones.

For what you search seems have to be pretty damn loud and should be perhaps one of the bigger boxes ... but because this all are extremely subjective things ... my believing when it comes down to speaker & monitor suggestions is: You have to figure that out on your own. Really!

High Gain - You Need Tons of Volume.....fat Bass ... Try the db Flexsys FM12 Wedge. Brutal Bang for the Buck...Loud as hell, and with the right frequency corrections (via PEQ-Blocks) this FRFR is a Killer! Compared to the "Queens" like the q12a or the Atomic or RCF(which is also a veeeery evil babe) the Flexsys is quite cheap, and it's so small, nobody ever would think that this box has huge power under it's Hood....but if the price is Not an issue.....try the RCF Nx12SMa...this FRFR will terminate the 4x12 Stack of your Other guitarist without any problems....

Last edited:
Definitely try what you can to suit your situation best. I'm happy with my two HD1221s. Admittedly I do not have access to some of the other solutions that people swear by on the board. The CLRs have a waiting list and to get one or two of them is just as much taking a chance like I did with the Mackies. I bought from an online big box store (didn't carry them locally) and tried them out. The 30 day return window made it easier to justify purchasing sight unseen (or unheard rather). They can move a lot of volume. No question there.

Honestly...depending on my venue I usually change things up. If I know I'll have good sound support sometimes I'll just bring one and set it as a side fill for myself. If I know the PA is lacking I'll bring both and run them as my stage volume only.

Either way...listen to things for yourself and decide what works best for your situation.

FWIW...the older batches of the Mackies did have issues. This seems to have been cleared up over the last year+ though.

I own a HD1221, and its awesome, and i plan on getting a second one ASAP, not for volume, but for more stage vibe as I come from a loud 4x12 background!
For high gain sounds i use the new 5153 50W Blue (this just replaced the Friedman HBE), and the Matchbox-30 for semi-cleans and cleans. I found nothing lacking in the tone or volume.

One thing I learnt after my first gig was to run to insert a PEQ (at the end of your chains) with blocking filters below 120hz and above 5k (tweak to taste of course).
I'm sure the CLR is great, i was lucky enough to find a used HD1221 very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom