FRFR - For Small Space / Rehersal Use

kerrlehr

Experienced
I see so many excellent speaker/cabinet options here on the board. Loud, high watt rated options at that, which I am sure rock at rated levels. My question is this; For a smaller rehearsal, day to day practice, creative uses, are these speakers really even able to move their magnets, or is there a point where a smaller, lower wattage rated speaker comes into play? (Seems logical that this is the case) At lower rehearsal volumes, when using speakers rated for venue levels, It seem fair to assume that the magnets on some of the FRFR cabinets being suggested are hardly even being "tickled" at lower volumes, and are remaining nearly stationary at practice levels, resulting in a failure to realize their potential and/or intended use. Is there a recommended high quality, lower wattage FRFR solution which has a woofer magnet that can move air at lower wattage levels, yet still maintain the pristine FRFR quality levels of these higher wattage cabinets? (Like my Suhr Badger 18 watt with it's 25watt Eminence Red Fang speaker, compared to a 100 watt stage amp).

Is this just a case of, use a high quality Studio Monitor, or is this where something like the Atomic Wedge is the ideal application? I am looking for something that will be able to fully exploit the qualities of the Axe-II in a 10' x 14' rehearsal studio room for daily uses and not for performance use.

Last edited:
The $$ sky seems the limit in the area of studio monitors. I do fully understand that there is absolutely a cost for accurate FRFR sound reproduction. Obviously monitors have a several intended uses, and being a part of an AXE daily personal rehearsal system may not have been first use on the list. With that in mind, and based upon your actual experiences with an AXE in this type environment, does anyone have a good recommendation on what monitors may (dollar for dollar vs quality result) be the appropriate investment for the application I describe above?

Qualifier = When practicing and improvising, I usually am running my Suhr Badger in London Power Scaling mode at about 45-60% and occasionally will run it in non-master volume mode at about 60-80% full power for certain sounds, feels and air pressures. I will need a monitor that is able to move some air at reasonable levels.

Is the Mackie HR824mk2 a contender in this area? Does a subwoofer (such as the Mackie HRS112) come into play at these lower volumes in order to move air, or is that a mistake with the AXE?

FWIW I haven't seen a thread yet in which an Adam A7/x user wasn't satisfied using with the Axe-FX. Many also like the Rokits.

I sampled several monitors and already have some Event TR-8 monitors. (For sale pair Event TR-8's) I have made my decision for the studio, and because I do also mix and play midi keys as well, i went for what I think is the biggest bang for the less than $1,500 each mark as a studio investment, as well as a piece of permanent studio gear for my AXE;

I just ordered (2) Dynaudio Acoustics BM15A Active mid/near field studio monitors. 200/100 watt w 9.5" woofer. Symmetrical left and right side cases. I cannot wait to hear these with the AXE.

BM 15A

I got 15% off through Guitar Center who already had them on sale 18% off, so killer deal here. 30 day return policy so I can really be sure I like them for 30 days. Will report back with findings next week.
Has anyone else tried these?

Last edited:
The BM 15A is a great monitor - I had the for a while but went with the Dynaudio Air 15 monitors.

Back
Top Bottom