FRFR for (really) small gigs/stages

JCBitB

Inspired
TLDR = Really small bar, loud band w/dense mix, nearly no space. Personal monitoring pretty much IS the house mix, so how do I get it done as small as possible?

If you've got time for a few chuckles:
I'm so embarrassed. Like many of you guys, I've been collecting gear for 20 years, and I'm quite proud of my hoarding. Need a 4x12? I've got like 5. 2x12? I've got 3 of them. 1000 watt power amps? sure! 100+ watt tube power amps? No problem! Ever since I got my AxeIII (and up until the moment it came out) I've been completely content in all my amp related gear.

Then came an invite to play a 800-1000 sq foot bar. LOL. The stage is so small that a clown car looks luxurious... The drummer has to set up on the floor, there are 3 other guitar players, a sax player, bassist, AND often someone playing a harmonica. The stage is open to guests, so occasionally a fiddle player steps up as well... I had a rough time playing with them... they had a powered wedge (with a cassette player built in, no joke) and I had to turn it up ALL the way just to fit my rhythm playing in the mix, ZERO headroom left for leads. I don't even think I can fit a foot switch on the stage, let alone a controller... I think I'm gonna have to ride the volume knob. What would you do if you're in my shoes?

Why do I subject myself to all this craziness? Because two of the guitar players are 70-80 and have been playing since they were 6, and they are absolute MONSTERS. Every gig is a 5 hour lesson, and they keep asking me to come back. Besides, everyone needs to get their butt kicked once in a while, it's great for the ego

For FRFR I use a Matrix Q12 powered speaker. It’s 18” x 15”, and 11” deep. You can probably find something a little smaller, but not much smaller without compromising the sound. It gets up in one of three places depending on the space available. On top of the AxeFX, which sits on an amp stand. At my feet, the other side on my MFC, angled upwards by wooden supports. On a pole. If the venue is too small for any of these options, and we play one of them, then IEMs using a feed from the desk.

sound requires space. if you can't even put a pedal down, then the venue is the issue. you physically somehow have to find room to put a speaker somewhere, or use what is already there.

a small speaker like the CP8 by QSC sounds like it could work.

How about the IPS technologies FS8?
I have not heard it but it looks interesting.
You can either use it FRFR or as a guitar cabinet with a couple of pedals.

Or a single line-array with subwoofer (e.g., Bose L1).

Plenty of SPL with wide directivity coverage for small venue.

If it's that tiny I'd use in-ear monitoring. Nothing at all on the floor . . .

Honestly I thought about this, but I'd be the only one on IEMs and only vocals and harmonica's use the PA and there's only one monitor feed. Seems like a situation where I'd have only one ear in and I'd be pummeling my ear drum to compete with the stage volume.

I'm REALLY interested in one of those Mission Engineering wedge 1x12's, since it seems like I can set it on top of my axefx

Or a single line-array with subwoofer (e.g., Bose L1).

Plenty of SPL with wide directivity coverage for small venue.
honestly i'm not a fan of these. i don't think these have "plenty of SPL." a venue here just got a pair of the biggest Turbosound version for their stage, and it doesn't... sound... that good.

just my opinion. and that said, i own the smallest Turbosound system. sounds great for my tv at home. at gigs... it's a bit challenging, but works where it works.

i just wouldn't use it in "high spl" situations. of course, always could work in other situations, YMMV, etc. just from my experience with several units and different setups.

Oh yes ... I know that sort of gig all too well. My solution - I bring my old tube rig - 4U racked JMP-1/Midi FX Unit/Mesa 50/50 - 2 1x12 Cabs and a Rocktron Midi floor controller) Everything bar the small footprint floor controller sits vertically stacked on a 1x12 style speaker/amp stand and I have a couple of e609 mics which can be hung over the cabs and secured by a couple of strips of gaffa tape.

Sometimes the venue just dictates what works and as long as I'm comfortable with my backline tone/volume and have just enough personal space to play I don't care what I'm using.

I did try using my AxeFX rack which is also 4U rack size - but the MFC and 2 Mission pedals mounted on a Pedaltrain was just too big to be comfortable with on my 3 sq foot of space! I suppose I could set things up to use the Rocktron Midi Controller - but what the hell .... it's a small gig so lighting up a few tubes does fine

Back
Top Bottom