FRFR for loud Hi Gain tone

Joel.Brown333

Inspired
I play in a Black Sabbath tribute band and currently use the FM3 into a pair of JCM900s into a pair of Marshall 1936 cabs spread on both sides of the stage and do the 20ms delay between left and right for a doubling effect. The FM3 is connected to the JCM900s into the effects return so they're just power amps. Power amp modeling is turned off on the FM3. I play these amps at half volume and it's very loud but it's what I need. We rarely have the opportunity or need to run it through a PA.

With that said, I would like, at a minimum, to replace those heavy JCM900 amps but also ideally replace the Marshall cabs with something lighter. Although the Marshall 1936 cabs don't weigh too much. I've been looking at the Crown XLi2500 and it has enough power but if there's something out there that could replace everything and is easier to lug around then I'd like to hear thoughts and suggestions.

Xitone 1x12 Active Wedge. Loudest, cleanest FRFR system there is to my ears.

It also depends on your budget.

Matrix 1600 power amp - run two 1x12's with EV 12L's. Not really FRFR - but could be based on the EV's very neutral character. The EV's are VERY loud and while not that light - would be lighter than a 2x12 - and they can take, and love high volumes. I have a Xitone as well and its great - but if you're at really high volumes I'm not sure how it would sound or what the power handling would be as I have never had to have them that loud. Its a great wedge though.

I hear crickets chirping. I thought there'd be a bunch of people who still play really loud using heavy tones.
I use a Laney fr112. Can be used with or without IR’s, you can adjust the highs (should the venue you’re playing demand that) and they are loud as fakk, able to acoustically drown out any drummer. And to top it al off, they can easily be carried with one hand and won’t break the bank.

I looked into these options. The Marshall 1936 cabs I have now only weigh 55lbs. They're very light for a 2x12 cab. The only option above I saw that was lighter was the Xitone wedge at 38 lbs. The other options were almost the same weight as what I have.

My biggest thing is the Marshall amps are really heavy plus I'd like to use the PowerAmp and IR capabilities of the FM3.

I have some thinking to do.
Thanks again for the help.

I play mostly high gain, redsound MF 10‘s are incredible, the louder you push them the better the sound, really unbelievable for the size.
I also have 2 CLR’s, and a matrix powr amp pusing a vertical mesa 2x12. As loud as any of them but sound better with the right IR’s to me

Back
Top Bottom