FRFR For Live Performance

jamesblonde

Now that gigging is back, it’s time to use my Axe FX III for something besides studio recording. I think I am pretty convinced that I would like to amplify my Axe FX III with an FRFR monitor instead of using a power amp and cab (less items to carry to a gig). It seems the Atomic CLR was the benchmark of live monitoring a few years ago but they are getting harder and harder to find online/for sale. Please give me some suggestions! I am only playing small bars/venues but I don’t mind paying for quality.

I like using the Friedman ASC-10 cabinet(s). Self powered using a 10" woofer (and a tweeter of course). They are not overly heavy in weight and give a cabinet feel for me. They sound best a little louder - at low volumes some find them dark... I personally don't find this.

What’s the main difference between the wedges and the cabinets?
Shape? :)

I had both...I like the wedge because it is smaller, lighter, and more versatile to me...can be a front monitor style wedge, or behind you on a tight stage, or behind you and placed on it's side to be more like a standard cab.

The MBritt was really nice - prob my fav if all I was doing is running on stages and not to PA - more cab like with the open back and easier for other bandmates to hear on stage when you aren't running with a sound guy.

I prefert cabinets because I can put the Axe on top of it. Have a look at the Matrix FC12 (active) - I play it live and for rehearsals with the band. Excellent sound.SG Cygnus.jpg

I do use my Red Sound Elis8 or MF10 live (depends on the location which one I use) and I never locked back to a guitar cab.
I can’t explain it better than our Zen Rigs Man Sukh:

Back
Top Bottom