FRFR for guitar and/or bass?

MSP

I havent played out in a looooong time, but after I bought the AX8 that itch is back... haha. I was thinking, since Id be interested in trying to go straight to FOH, and Im not sure if Id be playing bass or guitar at this point, would something like the Headrush FRFR speaker be powerful enough, and sound good for both bass and guitar gigs?

The whole FRFR thing is new to me... Any advice would be appreciated!

You might want to look into AccuGroove's FRFR speakers. They have a history of making well regarded bass cabs, and now have a selection of FRFR cabs. I haven't tried them myself, so I can't speak directly to the question of their handling bass frequencies at high volume. But the specs look good.

Reactions: MSP
I use a pair of Yamaha DXR12 FRFR powered cabs and they can get as loud as my 4x12 and 4x10 guitar and bass cabs but they can't get the super low end of a 4x10. If your rig is mono, I'd go with a Yamaha DXR10 and DXR15. I have my DXR12 cabs on speaker stands, so they're at ear level, so I don't have to crank up the level to hear them.

I use a pair of Yamaha DXR12 FRFR powered cabs and they can get as loud as my 4x12 and 4x10 guitar and bass cabs but they can't get the super low end of a 4x10. If your rig is mono, I'd go with a Yamaha DXR10 and DXR15. I have my DXR12 cabs on speaker stands, so they're at ear level, so I don't have to crank up the level to hear them.
The Yamaha's seem great. I got my dad a pair of DSR112's for his band's monitors last year. I sometimes use them on my Axe and like that they are a little bit lighter than my usual SRX812P's. The do lack some low end though, so I wouldn't put bass through them at volume (maybe low volume gigs would be OK). The DXR line I believe has more low and moving to a 15" I expect the OP should be pretty happy with one for either bass or guitar.
It should also take vocal/keys quite well too if used as a monitor.

Interesting... Thanks everyone. What about a regular powered wedge monitor? Is that going to sound bad? Loud enough?

I'm currently using a pair JBL EON 610's and completely satisfied with the sound and power. Less so using only one speaker however perfectly acceptable volume levels alongside my other guitarist using a JCM900 and 4 x 12" cab.
Currently waiting for the HeadRush FRFR12 to hit the shelves here in Montreal. I think the extra power and 12" speaker would be perfect for my own use and need only a single wedge in front of me. Time will tell and would be glad to report the results.

Interesting... Thanks everyone. What about a regular powered wedge monitor? Is that going to sound bad? Loud enough?

The Yamaha DXR Series can be used as wedges and if you put them on a spreaker stand, they have 2 holes on the bottom so they can be pointing straight or angled down 7 degrees.

If you're looking for something that costs less, Alto powered cabs are about half the price.

Having played guitar and bass through my AX8, I can say the bass sounds "fine" through my xitones and altos - but it is no different than playing through a house PA with the subs off...it sounds fine. I love the BOOM of bass through a good amp though. Volume isn't an issue with most of these, however. No problem keeping up with a band with loud drummer. :)

Having played guitar and bass through my AX8, I can say the bass sounds "fine" through my xitones and altos - but it is no different than playing through a house PA with the subs off...it sounds fine. I love the BOOM of bass through a good amp though. Volume isn't an issue with most of these, however. No problem keeping up with a band with loud drummer. :)

What model Alto do you use?

So you find its necessary to use a sub with the alto setup? Or is that to replace the low end boom?

Again, not "necessary" - but have you ever played through any DI (e.g. I have the Tone Hammer pedal) into a PA speaker?

It works fine, and sounds good. But it isn't the same as standing in front of a Bass Amp. It won't have the boom or the air movin'

That is a good thing in a lot of places, of course - but if you need the low end boom you prob wont something more powerful than a 300-400w pa speaker through 10" speaker. ;)

Back
Top Bottom