FRFR for both my Fractal and my overall monitor mix

Tplesko

Inspired
Hi all, for years I’ve used inexpensive powered monitors for our band - alto’s (surprisingly not terrible but not great), Mackies (pretty dark tone out of the box), EVs and even Behringer wedges, etc. I keep reading about FRFR and wish to try one - leaning toward either the Friedman or the Mission Gemini wedge, initially I prefer this one due to weight, or even a QSC K10 (great price) but would only want to go this direction if they will also be my overall monitor mix meaning 2 inputs (one direct from my Fractal and one an aux from the mixer for my overall mix of vocals, keys, etc).

I assume the answer is yes, but wanted to ask - if I go with Mission, Friedman, etc can I still use these as a normal monitor for my onstage mix? Just as I’ve used cheaper speakers in the past. I really prefer not to use 2 separate powered speakers on stage...I love not loading in more than needed!

Thanks in advance.

If you are doing other than guitar, make sure you dont get a guitar oriented type speaker, such as the friedman, not sure what vocals would sound like through that monitor, or keys for that matter. Need something that doesn't color too much, and has enough high's for the other instruments.

Plenty of options out there. I think you might just want to upgrade your PA speaker\PA wedge and use it for both. Check out the Yamaha DXR12, QSC K10, etc)

The Friedman and Xitone only have one input, so you cant use it for both. The CLR would allow you to plugin the band mix and your guitar rig...

Plenty of options out there. I think you might just want to upgrade your PA speaker\PA wedge and use it for both. Check out the Yamaha DXR12, QSC K10, etc)

The Friedman and Xitone only have one input, so you cant use it for both. The CLR would allow you to plugin the band mix and your guitar rig...
Exactly what I’m thinking, thx for the feedback. Advice I got from Sweetwater was “use same monitor as your mains so you know exactly what the audience is hearing”. I use QSC k12 for my main do I like the k10 idea a lot. Thanks!!

If you are doing other than guitar, make sure you dont get a guitar oriented type speaker, such as the friedman, not sure what vocals would sound like through that monitor, or keys for that matter. Need something that doesn't color too much, and has enough high's for the other instruments.
Exactly the feedback I was seeking. This answers it for me. Thanks man!!

Exactly what I’m thinking, thx for the feedback. Advice I got from Sweetwater was “use same monitor as your mains so you know exactly what the audience is hearing”. I use QSC k12 for my main do I like the k10 idea a lot. Thanks!!

Also the Friedman wedge is 52 pounds... Do you really want to lug that around and your other PA speaker ;)

Depends on budget and other factors, DXR10's are really nice on a mid budget, but the CLRs are awesome and punches way over their price, easily up to 2.5-3 times their price in my experience.
The CLRs have 2 inputs at each monitor, so they can do what you want.
If you have the coin for the CLR, I'd point you in that direction.
Not looking to start a pissing contest or to rough anybody feathers, but I really don't care for the Friedman, haven't tried the Gemini.
This is naturally all IMHO.

Depends on budget and other factors, DXR10's are really nice on a mid budget, but the CLRs are awesome and punches way over their price, easily up to 2.5-3 times their price in my experience.
The CLRs have 2 inputs at each monitor, so they can do what you want.
If you have the coin for the CLR, I'd point you in that direction.
Not looking to start a pissing contest or to rough anybody feathers, but I really don't care for the Friedman, haven't tried the Gemini.
This is naturally all IMHO.
Thanks...do you feel they would be fine for the main monitor mix, as well (vox, Keys, etc)?

Actually, All new XiTones for the last year or so have featured dual inputs with independent volume controls along with the ability to use Bluetooth to play audio from Bluetooth enabled devices. So you can plug in your Axe-Fx, vocal feed and if desired play a backing track for rehearsing with. :)

Thanks...do you feel they would be fine for the main monitor mix, as well (vox, Keys, etc)?
Depends on which solution you are talking about? If it's the CLR it will do that very nicely! the DXR's might be ok in a smaller room depending on the type of music being played.

Personally if I were on a budget I would be looking for a used set of either CLR's or XiTones if your wanting them to do double or triple duty, monitor / back line / FOH.

Back
Top Bottom