FRFR for Bass? + Powered Sub

conspire

A few months ago I was quite happilly playing my 4 string bass through a pair of FBT Maxx4a's...
Then I got a 5 string (Fender MIA Jazz V) and it just didn't seem to be 'all there' on the low B so I did a bit of research, trying different things, and speaking to a few mates and ended up adding a 500w powerer sub to my setup (a kv2 audio kx1.2) and now... :shock: it's amazing.

Anyone else using a powered sub?

Richard

RichSetup1Small.jpg

I haven't gotten the chance to play though any powered cabs at all (other than monitors). None around here to try, and I've never wanted to risk paying so much just to try some. What's the frequency range on it?

32 - 125 Hz :D

The low B string is, I think, about 31Hz fundamental...
Low E is about 41Hz

The FBT Maxx4A is quoted as -5dB @ 50Hz & 20kHz

That's certainly low :D I'm using a couple of Acme Low B-2 cabs, which are pretty much full range as they go so low and high (+/-3 dB 41Hz to 22 kHz and -6 dB at 31 Hz), but I do lose some of the nice punch you can get from using cabs that aren't tuned for that really extended low end. I've wanted to try those Bergantino active cabs (the IP series) but haven't seen one floating around to try yet.

I'm getting a JBL PRX635 with mine, in all likelihood. Nice specs on the frequency response (50 hz @ +3dB), and I don't expect to be pumping it with a lot of subs anyway, as I'll be running an HPF with a 30 hz cutoff before I even go into the magic box. If I find the lows to be lacking, I'll probably get a sub to go with it a bit later on.

Back
Top Bottom