Frfr first impressions!

So are you saying that the FR212 on its own is no good as you still need a 'normal' guitar cab to put the sound right?

No, both sound great on their own but when you listen to them both side by side it is apparent that the NL212 has a better note clarity and natural sound to it. The FR212 has more low end but lacks the note clarity at lesast to my ears. NL212 is not really an FRFR cab but it works great with cab sims and is super light.

I would love to try the fr212 out just to see if I am missing out not using the cab blocks. But if it doesn't sound as good as real cabs it would be an expensive mistake to make.

This is an interesting topic! I'v been considering the FR212 myself. I've used a Marsahall cab on stage up till now, with a direct sound to FOH and my IEMs. The cab is just so my bandmates can hear me and so I get a nice bit of feedback.

However, I don't have anything at the moment that lets me accurately judge what tone is going to FOH (obviously the IEM and the guitar cab are not good representations of this). So I've been considering a FRFR - and the 212 is top of the list so far!

The more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense to me to get the FR212 - it sounds like that if I create a sound using that as my monitor, I'll be more in the ballpark of what goes out to FOH than if I used my Marshall cab, IEM or any other speaker I've got lying around. Plus, I could use it on stage like I use my Marshall without really having to do lots of EQ to it, like I do my Marshall (I have a PEQ before the FX loop shelving off a LOT of the high end). And if I was to ever have to use a guitar cab, I could still have a bypassed PEQ block before the FX loop ready to be 'un-bypassed'. Have I got the right end of the stick there do you guys think?

Cheers!

This is an interesting topic! I'v been considering the FR212 myself. I've used a Marsahall cab on stage up till now, with a direct sound to FOH and my IEMs. The cab is just so my bandmates can hear me and so I get a nice bit of feedback.

However, I don't have anything at the moment that lets me accurately judge what tone is going to FOH (obviously the IEM and the guitar cab are not good representations of this). So I've been considering a FRFR - and the 212 is top of the list so far!

The more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense to me to get the FR212 - it sounds like that if I create a sound using that as my monitor, I'll be more in the ballpark of what goes out to FOH than if I used my Marshall cab, IEM or any other speaker I've got lying around. Plus, I could use it on stage like I use my Marshall without really having to do lots of EQ to it, like I do my Marshall (I have a PEQ before the FX loop shelving off a LOT of the high end). And if I was to ever have to use a guitar cab, I could still have a bypassed PEQ block before the FX loop ready to be 'un-bypassed'. Have I got the right end of the stick there do you guys think?

Cheers!

What about pubs/bars where the guitar is not going to a FOH rig. so the FR212 cab would be used as my main (and only) sound from the stage, could anyone let me know if they use an FR212 for that and what is it like etc etc.. or is it only useful for FOH setups only?

Who on Earth would ever be scared of a collab with Misha Mansoor? XD

Lol, tbh i think he is SOOOO overrated and praised. I like Mark's guitar style much more and think that he doesn't get enough credit in the band. I'll admit he is good at what he does and i dig Periphery 1 and 2. His tone is solid but not the type of high gain tone i like. He knows his shit though and has made alot more of a living than i have so who am I?

Thanks Gazza, I'll give that a try!

Just as an amendment to my suggestions, I am finding that with some amps such as the Friedman, I do not lo-cut in the cab as it seems to lose some definition on the wound strings, i leave it alone and tweak lo frequencies in eq.

The general rule applies though, dial in on CLR first and that translates to studio monitors better than the other way round. My presets can sound mid heavy on my studio monitors though, as I seem to need to boost the mids quite a bit on my CLR to get the sounds I am looking for, but I do like a mid heavy drive tone, like Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols!

What about pubs/bars where the guitar is not going to a FOH rig. so the FR212 cab would be used as my main (and only) sound from the stage, could anyone let me know if they use an FR212 for that and what is it like etc etc.. or is it only useful for FOH setups only?

I don't have a ton of experience playing out with it yet. But at band practice i've been using it "as a cab" to try this. It does the job perfectly thus far. I've tried it in various rooms and it is awesome everytime. I bought it in hopes of using it just like i would a traditional cab. It being full range is just a bonus to me really as know i can have more peace of mind having a very good idea of what the audience is hearing if i do go FOH. If not i have it on stage and it sounds the same. BUT i haven't played a gig with it yet, so take that for what its worth.

I know Matrix and Xitone get a lot of love here and with good reason. I had 2 CLR wedges and was happy with them but wanted to try the cab thing. After considering the FR212, (which was out of stock for a while when I was ready to order), and a Xitone, I went with the "I want one now" option and ordered the powered Mission Gemini 2 from Sweetwater. I love it. Has real nice stereo separation and just has the classic look and feel of a cab. I just play at home so I can't give any info as to how loud it gets in a band setting but for home use it gets impressively loud. I've probably only had it about half volume max since I've had it. Here's a pic I took a few weeks ago with my new Suhr.

f8ae3635-1367-454f-be99-58d5d3ce374d_zpsym2r1gv6.jpg

I have been looking at the Gemini 1 and 2. I want stereo so was leaning towards two of the 1s, but if the separation is really good in the 2 that would save some dollars. How good is the stereo image with the 2? I cant try before I buy.

Cheers
Ant

I have been looking at the Gemini 1 and 2. I want stereo so was leaning towards two of the 1s, but if the separation is really good in the 2 that would save some dollars. How good is the stereo image with the 2? I cant try before I buy. Cheers Ant

It's much better than I expected. I'm amazed at some of the spacey patches I tried where the sound is huge and surrounds the room. I love stereo and, although it would be nice, have no desire to purchase a 2nd Gemini cab.

I am using the Mission Gemini 2 exactly for this and I could not be happier. Awesome tones, great stereo sound on stage for me, and the thing gets *loud* if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had to do the same on my CLR's at about 5000. I think I even went to 4000 last night. Sounded huge out front. What I'm missing from my CLR's is low end. The powered versions had a filter. I'm using a PEQ which isn't bad but I'm thinking I'd get more natural low end on the Matrix 2x12 or the Xitone 2x12. I wish I could test one locally....

For those of you CLR guys how long did it take you to tweak the tone until you liked it? The reason I ask is I recently bought some JBL LSR6300 monitors and I've got some tones coming out of them that I'm in love with. The only hard part has been figuring out how to translate them to the CLR so I can do some jamming. The CLR seems much more bright/brittle and I've been having trouble rectifying that. I've been trying to fix it with the Global EQ but haven't had too much luck...

i program using Equator D5 monitors. The only thing I do when playing live thru the CLR is a slight cut (about 2-3dB) at 2k and 4k on the global EQ.

Back
Top Bottom