Frfr first impressions!

Reet

Inspired
Hey all! Been playing my axe through a Matrix Nl12 and gt1000fx poweramp since i got it. I loved the tone, but i don't trust the sound guys mic placement ever. So i decided to give it a shot. I've read so many mixed reviews and was a bit nervous tbh. So i took a leap of faith and bought a matrix fr212 cab and bought cab pack 13. Upon first initial chord i strummed i was amazed how much the cab plays a role on the tone.. So i found some IR's that i liked and made a few patches and damn does it sound amazing. People always seem to complain about the amp in the room feeling not being present? Well not with this Matrix fr212. This thing has more low end than my Mesa OS recto cab, it spreads the sound beautifully and man is it loud. I was somewhat skeptical of what i would think of Frfr, but i am truly amazed. It sounds so "real" and in the room. This cab is awesome and cab pack 13 is great as well. I don't play Djent and i can attest to this being very versatile and don't be scared away due to it being a collab with Misha. The peace of mind of knowing damn near exactly what the audience will hear is great. Plus it feels like a huge cab behind me and sounds amazing. Don't be afraid to try Frfr cab users. I sure was and im glad i gave it a shot.

IV always fancied getting one, but kept reading reviews (on this forum) about frfr not sounding 'right' when used as normal backline.
Oh and £750 for a 2x12 is a lot of money.

Team up the Matrix FR212 with the NL212 (with cab sims on) and you get some serious killer tone and feel. The FR212 gives you nice low end and NL212 has this great natural sound and clarity to it that's not present in the FR212.

Team up the Matrix FR212 with the NL212 (with cab sims on) and you get some serious killer tone and feel. The FR212 gives you nice low end and NL212 has this great natural sound and clarity to it that's not present in the FR212.

So are you saying that the FR212 on its own is no good as you still need a 'normal' guitar cab to put the sound right?

Just bought some Atomic CLR's yesterday. Can't wait to try them.

I have two and run them both all the time, the stereo spread is glorious! actually had to do a gig with just one the other day, outdoors, and it was killer as well. Thought id really miss the second one and i did to some degree but got over it pretty quick, just one was nice.

Been running a CLR for a couple of years now...you're going to LOVE it! It's so nice to dial in tone once...if it sounds awesome through the CLR it will sound great through every decent PA and better than anything on a crappy PA.

For those of you CLR guys how long did it take you to tweak the tone until you liked it? The reason I ask is I recently bought some JBL LSR6300 monitors and I've got some tones coming out of them that I'm in love with. The only hard part has been figuring out how to translate them to the CLR so I can do some jamming. The CLR seems much more bright/brittle and I've been having trouble rectifying that. I've been trying to fix it with the Global EQ but haven't had too much luck...

In my opinion, that's the great thing about the CLR, it's showing you that your patch will likely sound bright/brittle on most PA's unless the soundman does something about it. I would reset your amp block and disable any eq's you have going and start dialing it in from scratch. BTW, a lesson I had to learn was to make my patches (eq, etc) to fit in the mix of the band which isn't as full and satisfying on its own like a patch I'd make to just jam on my own with...not insinuating that you're doing this.

I use just the FR212. It's great. Across all frequencies. Huge sound for a 2x12'. Clean or high gain. I've yet to find its limits. I certainly have no need or desire to go back to 4x12. It's just a monster I can carry with one hand.

I started with the CFR12 as a front monitor on a GT1000fx amp. Clear sound!
Then after a while bought an FR212 for the backline. Well if we talk about a cab which flubber your trousers. This is the one.
Together it gives the complete feel of FRFR and "In the room"
As the OP said. The low end is amazing, clear tone and it's loud.......very loud.

Since we have IEM I don't use it anymore. Just use my CFR for feedback and we have an "empty backline"
But w/o IEM I would do the same setup again.

Edit: As I read here about bright/brittle sounds. This is true for the CFR12 also. The FR212 isn't, that one has a warmer sound, but still FRFR.

PS: Mine is for sale, pls see: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/sale/104896-matrix-fr212-cab-netherlands.html#post1254733

Last edited:
I keep reading about FRFR and start to lean towards buying one so I can take advantage of cab blocks etc, and then I read posts about the frfr no sounding quite right, it loses that cab in the room sound etc.....
I wish there was some way I could borrow one to try out but in the North East UK there is nothing.....
So more opinions please on the pluses and minuses. It sounds like the Fr212 may be the one I would look at due to its light weight. I have a matrix gt800 amp.

For those of you CLR guys how long did it take you to tweak the tone until you liked it? The reason I ask is I recently bought some JBL LSR6300 monitors and I've got some tones coming out of them that I'm in love with. The only hard part has been figuring out how to translate them to the CLR so I can do some jamming. The CLR seems much more bright/brittle and I've been having trouble rectifying that. I've been trying to fix it with the Global EQ but haven't had too much luck...

I have also found that transferring tones from my studio monitors (Event TR8s) to the CLR sometimes gave me a brittle overly bright sound. I thought about it and I think it's down to the CLR having a much wider range than the TR8s, or is a generally much better speaker. So, I lo-cut in every cab I use to around 100Hz or even higher (sometimes as high as 170Hz depending on the IR and hi-cut to around 5000-6000Hz and then use the amp EQ front controls to get the basic tone right and then fine tune with the amp GEQ often boosting some 1K and 2K high mids, depending on the amp model. I tend to dial in on the CLR and find that these settings transfer to the studio monitors much better than dialling in on the TR8s and transferring to the CLR.

If it does't sound quite right on the studio monitors I leave it and find that when listened back post recording it sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom