FRFR Coax monitor opinion

I have 2 C4's on order to try out, should be here next week,
I wont be able to give a proper review because Im not an expert, but I do know what sounds good to me and what doesnt.
So I will post my opinion once I have giving them a good workout.

"Active" is used in a sense of biamped after an active crossover, not active as in powered. Just like the difference between "powered" speakers and "Active" speakers. Active speakers feature two amps and an active crossover, while powered speakers are single amped with a passive crossover, like the Kustoms that were so popular last year.
That's a new one on me. If I'm hearing you right, "active speaker" really means "active crossover," and "active" speakers are not considered to be "powered" speakers, even though they are powered, and they are speakers. And "powered speakers" aren't considered to be "active speakers" even though they are speakers that contain active circuitry. I'll bet there's some marketing history behind all that. :)

Speakons are speakons. As soon as you see those in the spec sheet, they are automatically passive speakers. There's no mention of XLR's or 1/4" inputs.
Aye, but there's talk of an active/passive switch, which suggests that the speaker may be capable of both, in which case a Speakon could still be there. As you say, there's no mention of XLRs or quarter-inchers, which suggests a lack of active or powered capabilities...which suggests that the active/passive crossover switch is misnamed, or at least named by the marketing team. :)

The bottom line for me: there were suggestions both ways on the product sheet. Even though there were more suggestions for passive-only than for otherwise (and because of the fact that there were no pics of the speaker's I/O panel), it took a trip to the schematic to convince me of exactly what I was looking at.

Peace. Always a pleasure picking nits with a gentleman. :)

I've never heard that distinction between active and powered speakers. I hope it's correct because it does make sense.

I've never heard that distinction between active and powered speakers. I hope it's correct because it does make sense.

According to Sound on Sound magazine way back, maybe 2002-2003, that's the distinction. Although, an active speaker is still a powered speaker, haha.

Active/Passive switch means you are selecting whether you are using the PASSIVE built-in crossover in the speaker, or an active crossover before the poweramp

:):)

That's a new one on me. If I'm hearing you right, "active speaker" really means "active crossover," and "active" speakers are not considered to be "powered" speakers, even though they are powered, and they are speakers. And "powered speakers" aren't considered to be "active speakers" even though they are speakers that contain active circuitry. I'll bet there's some marketing history behind all that. :)

Generally, I consider "powered" speakers like powered monitors. Speakerboxes with ONE amp built in, and a passive crossover, like the Kustoms and the Behringer F1220A wedges. Of course, it's all been through the marketing machine, so I apologize if it doesn't even matter anymore, haha.

It is consusing.

I was talking to a PA place yesterday - seriously high end. All ine arrays and La'ccoustic stiff (spelling).

Basically when we use the term "active" and "passive" were not using proper PA terminology. We use Active to mean including a power amp and passive to need an external power amp. In the PA world, Active means having an active crossover built in and are almost certainly not powered. What we refer to as "active" they refer to as "powered".

According to Sound on Sound magazine way back, maybe 2002-2003, that's the distinction.
I found that article, and a Wikipedia article that cites it. Other than that, I've been a couple of pages deep into a couple of search engines, and I haven't found anything else that differentiates "powered" from "active" when it comes to speakers.

In the PA world, Active means having an active crossover built in and are almost certainly not powered.
Wow, that's even more confusing. :) If a speaker has an active crossover built in, but it's not powered, then you'd have an active crossover working with full speaker power. That's something I've never seen before—an active crossover that's being fed from a power amp. To be honest, I'm not sure that's doable.

Active circuitry requires a power source, and is therefore "powered." If there's an active crossover built into a speaker, it's feeding a power amp that's also built into the speaker, and the speaker is "powered" by definition.

Wow, that's even more confusing. :) If a speaker has an active crossover built in, but it's not powered, then you'd have an active crossover working with full speaker power. That's something I've never seen before—an active crossover that's being fed from a power amp. To be honest, I'm not sure that's doable.

Active circuitry requires a power source, and is therefore "powered." If there's an active crossover built into a speaker, it's feeding a power amp that's also built into the speaker, and the speaker is "powered" by definition.

Yes yes! But there are powered speakers that do NOT have an active crossover, just a passive crossover after the amp, or NO crossover at all and just piezo tweeters. It's like Stratocasters and Stratocaster Pluses. Both are strats, but a regular strat is not a strat plus! The word Active refers to the crossover! Not the amplifier or whether the box is powered or not. So switching to Active (biamp mode) on the yorkville means you are using a biamped system, which means an electronic crossover before the amplifier.

I have never seen a passive wedge with an active crossover though.

here's a few links from page 1 of my google search: Slideshows: Active vs Passive Speakers: Which to Use?, by Ben Hardy - Electronic House
Live Sound International | Amped Up: Powered Speakers

Sorry for bringing it up, just wanted to note that the simple fact that it has speakons shows that it is passive. If it was both passive and active, that would be a big marketing point and be discussed heavily.

Yes yes! But there are powered speakers that do NOT have an active crossover, just a passive crossover after the amp, or NO crossover at all and just piezo tweeters.
Yes, but they all have active amplifiers and are therefore active speakers. If the differentiating element is an active crossover, then the phrase "active crossover" is sufficient (technically, those speakers are bi-amped or tri-amped).

In the electronics world, active circuitry is always powered, and powered circuitry with transistors or tubes is always active. No special dispensation for speakers. :)

It's like Stratocasters and Stratocaster Pluses. Both are strats, but a regular strat is not a strat plus!
Yes again, but both names are marketing choices, not technical ones.

The word Active refers to the crossover!
Only in the phrase "active crossover." :)

I have never seen a passive wedge with an active crossover though.
Nor have I. That was the point of my previus post.

One of those links makes the claim; the other doesn't.

Sorry for bringing it up, just wanted to note that the simple fact that it has speakons shows that it is passive. If it was both passive and active, that would be a big marketing point and be discussed heavily.
You'd expect that it would be, and that's what I suspected as well, but because of the ambiguity in the text and the lack of panel pics, I needed a look at the schematic to make sure.

As I understand it, some high end stuff have active crossovers but no amps. The amps are external - but are dedicated (that is you HAVE to use the designers particular amp).

Im no expert at that level so may have got what was said mixed up. Still blinkin confusing.

As I understand it, some high end stuff have active crossovers but no amps. The amps are external - but are dedicated (that is you HAVE to use the designers particular amp).
I've never seen that. But there are a lot of things I've never seen, so that doesn't prove they don't exist. :)

I have 2 C4's on order to try out, should be here next week,
I wont be able to give a proper review because Im not an expert, but I do know what sounds good to me and what doesnt.
So I will post my opinion once I have giving them a good workout.

There in
Going to pick them up tonight I have them for a week hopefully the sound great.
and they dont go back!

I've never seen that. But there are a lot of things I've never seen, so that doesn't prove they don't exist. :)

the DB Teknik stuff is like this ... awesome 15" wedges, with a custom outboard 2U rack amp to power them ... don't even ask the price though, it makes the EAW's look cheap ...

the DB Teknik stuff is like this ... awesome 15" wedges, with a custom outboard 2U rack amp to power them ... don't even ask the price though, it makes the EAW's look cheap ...
They have an active crossover built into the wedge, but external power amps? (Sorry, I've had zero luck googling "DB Teknik.")

Try it with an &
"d&b audiotechnik"
Best regards
Matt
Thanks, Matt. I found the site. But they have no product that has a built-in active crossover but has external power amps. In fact, nothing they list has a built-in active crossover at all.

Day 2 with the c4's and they are sounding better the more I play through them.
Had to do some tweaking but I was set up for conventional cabs, so it was to be expected.
They are so unbelievably loud, I had the axe fx on about 3 and the air was hitting my chest I really couldnt believe it and the sound was crystal clear.
I havent tried any other frfr speakers so I cant compare but they sound so much better than my dave mustaine 4x12 and mesa boogie recto 2 x12.

Day 4
I missed day 3 because I couldnt put the guitar down,
I have nothing to compare the C4's to as far as frfr goes but ill tell you these sound fantastic with every, tone clean, crunch, high gain. They are not going back.
I know that the price is a little high but these will cover everything for me guitar rig, bass rig and pa.
Long and mcquade have them priced on sale right now for 999 each regular 1599.
Ill try and take a picture tonight so you can get a better idea of the size.

Back
Top Bottom