FRFR choices

arniez

I know beat to death! It seems that the most popular here are the Atomic clr, Xitone, and Friedman. These all are in the 1k price range. There is some love for the Headrush units at least until it is compared to the above. So what is there in the middle range? The Tech 21 deuce deluxe should be a contender they have a fair amount of experience in both modeling and powered speakers, having the power engine out long ago. What do you think any real world experience?
arniez

I used before the jbl ion 610 and they sounded great through the Helix but since I switched to ax fx I changed it up with friedman ac 12 power cabs but I really liked the jbl's they sounded great

QSC CP8 or CP12
Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12

other brands with similar specs.

this is a hard question to answer. there are so many speaker choices out there. in my experience, most gear within the same price range have similar qualities and results. at some point you'll have to try them yourself to see if you like them or not. one person's "these work perfectly for me" is another person's "this doesn't work at all."

What's your budget?
I can realistically spend any amount but considering law of diminishing returns and not expecting to be playing out much would like to shoot for good -very good but not necessarily the best. Would also if possible like to use is for acoustic as well though I do have a separate amp for that.
arniez

Full range flat response is the design goal of any loudspeaker that is not specifically for guitar or bass. If you want the cosmetics of a guitar cab, the companies mentioned above offer that. If you don't care about the looks, then any good small powered PA speaker will do an adequate job. I currently use a pair of Bose S1's, and an L1 for larger rooms. I recently plugged into a friend's Yamaha DRX10 and all my presets translated very accurately. If I were changing my rig, I would probably end up doing a little tweaking, because every loudspeaker design engineer has a different set of ears and a different way of managing the tradeoffs imposed by the laws of physics (the rock) and the price point (the hard place). But I could easily have gone out and done a gig, if there was such a thing, with the Yamahas instead of the Bose.

I know beat to death! It seems that the most popular here are the Atomic clr, Xitone, and Friedman. These all are in the 1k price range. There is some love for the Headrush units at least until it is compared to the above. So what is there in the middle range? The Tech 21 deuce deluxe should be a contender they have a fair amount of experience in both modeling and powered speakers, having the power engine out long ago. What do you think any real world experience?
arniez
I'm going to recommend the EV PXM-12MP speakers too. They sound really good with my FM3, have customizable EQ curves, can easily keep up with a band, and have a nice set of angles so you can adjust them to point multiple ways when resting on the floor, and it's easy to carry two of them at once. I added additional feet to mine to let me rest them on their sides if I want them to shoot at 90º, or set them down on asphalt without tearing up the case when loading the car, plus one of the other angles if I want them to tip at about 45º.

I had the ELIS.8 speakers, and loved the sound and recommend them also, but I needed a much steeper angle for tight stages.

Back
Top Bottom