FRFR cab or studio monitors, for bedroom playing?

yaniv

with a budget of up to 1800$, what should i buy? friedman asc-12, mission gemini 2 or maybe a good pair of genelec?
currently playing with headphones (and they sound great).
no need for high volume at all. i'm playing mainly clean or light to medium gain. looking for a clear sound, doesn't love a lot of bass.
in general, what will sound better (clearer, more details, more similar to real amp): frfr cab or active monitors?

Last edited:
I assume that by active monitors you mean studio monitors, yes?

If your version of the fantasy world we're all in when we play is on stage or jamming with other players, get the FRFR, since it fits that world. If it's in the studio, get studio monitors.

I assume that by active monitors you mean studio monitors, yes?

If your version of the fantasy world we're all in when we play is on stage or jamming with other players, get the FRFR, since it fits that world. If it's in the studio, get studio monitors.
by active monitors i meant studio monitors :)
i'm only going to play in my bedroom, low volume. looking for the best sound possible.

I started with KRK Rokit8s and no gig-ready setup, but got a Spacestation XL, as it fits my available space well and does the 3D 'spatial' thing with post-amp chorus, flange, rotary, phase, and reverb. Pingpong delays have a mix of front/rear with a weaker sense of left/right, but the sound of the delays has a satisfyingly 'coming from somewhere else than the dry sound' thing going on. If you find one in a shop locally, it's worth a demo....
20200711_135146.jpg

with a budget of up to 1800$, what should i buy? friedman asc-12, mission gemini 2 or maybe a good pair of genelec?
currently playing with headphones (and they sound great).
no need for high volume at all. i'm playing mainly clean or light to medium gain. looking for a clear sound, doesn't love a lot of bass.
in general, what will sound better (clearer, more details, more similar to real amp): frfr cab or active monitors?
For bedroom get studio monitors. For that budget you could get a really nice set of monitors like the Adam A7x.

Or you can get some good monitors and also get a DXR10 or similar frfr ($500-$600), which is a yamaha. I have both in my home studio. So if I do decide to venture out and jam somewhere I can. You definitely can get good solid monitors for $1,200 and then get something like the Yamaha DXR10. I have 2 DXR10's, but only use one at home. I like to hear the presets thru the studio monitors and then switch to the frfr to hear them a bit different. I do stay mainly in my home studio though. BTW, I use these
Mackie HR624mk2 6 inch Powered Studio Monitor. Have for a long time. Don't get mentioned here much, but I love them and mainly use them for recording. Recommended to me by one of the first people I met (online) in the forum-Scott Peterson.

Last edited:
So I did a similar test this weekend. Played a Friedman JJ Jr through a Friedman 1x12 and a Friedman patch set the same on the axe III through a dxr10. They sounded exactly the same in character, the Axe III sounded a tad clearer though. The Actual amp and cab thumped more and had a slightly different feel but that was with loud volumes and because I was playing differently due to the thump of the cabinet and the extra noise of the amp changing slightly how I would play. Testing legato, both were very percussive with the axe every time sound just a tad clearer.

Using the master volume and leveling with dxr10 they were like the same amp, with dxr10 sounding a little brighter.

So quality monitors or a good frfr will sound exactly like whatever amp you pick, it just will not push the air like a traditional cab will when it’s turned up (you aren’t turning up the volume so this is negligible).

in my opinion it’s definitely monitors you want. Get som Adams or other quality brand.
The money you spend here will be with you for many years so make them as good as you can afford!
You’ll thank yourself for a long time. :)
thanks
pauly

by active monitors i meant studio monitors :)
i'm only going to play in my bedroom, low volume. looking for the best sound possible.

Buy good studio monitors... If the room is small and unthreated i higly suggest iloud mtm monitors.. If it is small unthreated and you have unpatient neighbors iloud micro monitors are fantastic.. 50w total..

Reactions: ESW
I love my CLRs, but there's a lot of background hiss. I'd go with a good set of studio monitors. The Adam A7X should be plenty loud for bedroom volumes.

I love my CLRs, but there's a lot of background hiss. I'd go with a good set of studio monitors. The Adam A7X should be plenty loud for bedroom volumes.
Mine only hiss when I power it up, then it settles in dead quiet after 2 seconds or so, volume wide open. Yours do that or no?

Back
Top Bottom