FRFR aren’t they all the same?

I had 4 JBL PRX712Ps laying around plugged them in and they sound great...…… you can buy them all day for under $400 pretty flat on the normal setting

check out the spec sheet online...……….. I could share the link

Atomic clr Neo II
I am hearing tonight that they are experiencing some very bad management issues.
This is a crying shame as it is a great product. But would explain the curious "out of stock" issues for their products.
Already I'm thinking that after sales service is not gonna be good. Why would a product just be out of stock if it was not cash flow issues or gross mismanagement . Very sad.
Anybody else heard anything?

I just serviced my speaker with Atomic. Superb customer service! Fast repairing, fast shipping!
A++

I have the RCF NX12SMA and Atomic CLR Neo II and they both put out lots of sound that mixes well with a live band. That meets my goal for sound quality. This would be my point to the conversation: not how flat it is or isn't (as "flat" EQ is great as a starting place for reference, but doesn't sound very appealing), but how much it sounds like what you want to hear with what you're sending to it in your environment.

As Cliff mentions, better components do a better job of narrowing variances... sometimes. The NX series speakers aren't cheap as some, but they sound great and have proven very durable on real stages after being hauled around like normal, working equipment when being used professionally. On that note and some comments above, my CLR power section is on the way back from repair after only 7 months in service, so we'll see if it lives up to the years of failure free service the NX posted before I got the CLR. Anything can break, but it can't break regularly and stay in my stable. Time will tell! Service people were pleasant and turnaround time was completely acceptable. At the moment, the NX is back in the starting lineup.

Summing up, there are variances between two FRFR speakers from the same company so true FRFR is a bit more "how close" than a whole group labeled with this type being all the same. Quality of the sound they produce (meaning to you, not to everyone else) and durability over time (especially if you use them in a professional environment) are what you need to look for in a speaker.

Reactions: Rex
Summing up, there are variances between two FRFR speakers from the same company so true FRFR is a bit more "how close" than a whole group labeled with this type being all the same. Quality of the sound they produce (meaning to you, not to everyone else) and durability over time (especially if you use them in a professional environment) are what you need to look for in a speaker.[/QUOTE]

Those NX12s are a good deal more than the atomic. Reliability aside, would you say that the extra sound quality / extra power you get from the NX12s (if Any) are worth it for you Rick? I'm already looking at the Atomic and am curious to get your opinion on the two in your set up.

For the money the Headrush 112's sound as good as anything else....I have 2 running in stereo with the volume levels just past half way mark then out to FOH and am very pleased with all my presets. Nice headroom and guitar cab feel which was missing just running to FOH so far so good...time will tell.

For the money the Headrush 112's sound as good as anything else... Nice headroom and guitar cab feel which was missing just running to FOH so far so good...time will tell.

I also heard they sound good. And for 299?
It's for nothing......

Oh and for the benefit of Rex.... My "source" for this statement is the internet and pricing quote is from sweetwater......

Last edited:
@andyp13
That is indeed a good question.
Speaker design has three basic parameters:
on-axis frequency response, off-axis frequency response, and distortion.

"On-axis" means sound radiated forward.
"Off-axis" means sounds radiated in any other direction.

(1) On-axis response.
You would think that on-axis response should be completely flat.
But a speaker designed that way sounds too bright (= too much treble).
I have never heard a convincing explanation why.

(2) Off-axis response.
Radiation pattern is important because off-axis sound bounces off the
walls of the room and comes back to the listener.

Speakers radiate front, back, to the sides, and even up and down.
Unless they're sitting on the floor -- then they don't radiate down.

It's the same concept as microphone radiation patterns
(omni, cardioid, figure-8, etc). Except that it's about production
of sound instead of response to sound.

Subwoofers are usually omnidirectional.
An open-back guitar cabinet is figure-8 (also called dipole).

It's not clear what the ideal radiation pattern for a speaker actually is.
Most speakers are omni in the bass, then forward in the treble.

When a speaker has multiple drive units (woofer, midrange, tweeter),
the radiation pattern can change abruptly between them.

(3) Distortion. Ideally, a speaker shouldn't produce any. But it does.
Serious driver manufacturers do a lot of research to reduce distortion.
Harmonic distortion isn't so bad.
That's where the distortion frequencies are multiples of the original frequency.
But intermodulation distortion is bad -- it produces frequencies that aren't
present in the original music.

If you want to learn more about speakers, Floyd Toole's book is an excellent start:

Amazon product ASIN 113892136X
To give an idea what good speakers cost,
here are some low-end professional monitors ($3745 / pair):
http://barefootsound.com/footprint01/

And some high-end prosumer monitors ($2300 / pair):
https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd/lyd-48

As a multi instrumentalist, I wonder if a powered pa speaker is actually good enough? I play mostly using guitar synth pedals.

But I came across this:

Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe 200W 1x12 Powered Speaker Cab | Musician's Friend
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...ne-deuce-deluxe-200w-1x12-powered-speaker-cab

It stated that it works for both guitars and basses and other stringed instruments. The 200 watt spec may seem low for bass guitars right?

I might trade in my isp technologies vector fs8 for this, what do you all think?

As a multi instrumentalist, I wonder if a powered pa speaker is actually good enough? I play mostly using guitar synth pedals.

But I came across this:

Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe 200W 1x12 Powered Speaker Cab | Musician's Friend
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...ne-deuce-deluxe-200w-1x12-powered-speaker-cab

It stated that it works for both guitars and basses and other stringed instruments. The 200 watt spec may seem low for bass guitars right?

I might trade in my isp technologies vector fs8 for this, what do you all think?

I would have gotten one of those if XiTone weren't a local company although I have no regrets. All the videos of the Tech 21 make it look like a great investment. 14 inches deep for extra beefinesss. It's actually only 120 watts by itself. You need to get an extension cabinet to get the full 200 watts.

Reactions: JTI
Really? I think the extension cab is an additional 100w.

I would have gotten one of those if XiTone weren't a local company although I have no regrets. All the videos of the Tech 21 make it look like a great investment. 14 inches deep for extra beefinesss. It's actually only 120 watts by itself. You need to get an extension cabinet to get the full 200 watts.

Think of it like 'Organic', which has no real standard LEGALLY attached to it. Anyone can say it, but what does it really mean? (yes, pendant's, there is a certification organization there, but there are few penalties for saying it, and it not really being so.)

FRFR is roughly the same way. Depending on who's selling, it can mean a range of things. I use the CLR and it's IMO the best out there. I've heard the Friedman, but it felt more tailored to a midrange bump and punch that is appealing to guitarists. My HS80's as studio monitors are in the very good category, but I wouldn't call them completely flat.

Any trip to a big box music store will have a number of these. Listen to them all and the differences (I found) are shocking. Again, as was stated before, nobody can agree on what is FRFR, so it can be a large range of products.

What about Xitone? Read a number of reviews rating it better than CLR?

Back
Top Bottom