Fretless Guitar Psychedelic/Classical/Jazz/Prog

antcarrier

Power User
Hello :)

I have just finished mixing my latest track. It's a combination of psychedelic/electronica, jazz/fusion, classical and prog rock. Guitar is a fretless Vigier Surfreter, recorded direct w/ axe fx 2, using reflection-free far field IRs that I captured.
It also has a lot of LinnStrument.

It's quite long so if you just want to hear a fretless guitar solo, it starts at 5 mins. Although I do recommend going on a psychedelic journey and listening to the full thing :D

I hope you enjoy :)

Jon

Last edited:
Very cool... I put in my ear buds and sort of tranced out! Maybe contributed to by the fact that I got up at 4am to take my daughters to the airport and I'm super tired ;)

Some of the bass and the synth stuff reminded me of Snarky Puppy.

That fretless solo was very nice. I probably would have put it more centered in the mix... But you've got some good balance with the movement on the other side.

Hmmmm.....I thought I was the only one with a Surfreter, Linnstrument , and fret less bass...but you put them together quite nicely, thanks for sharing.

Been to your Soundcloud page, maybe add "Brand X" to the listening list.

Thanks man - I'll check them out. I'm always on the hunt for new music to listen to, and new sources of inspiration :)

Very cool... I put in my ear buds and sort of tranced out! Maybe contributed to by the fact that I got up at 4am to take my daughters to the airport and I'm super tired ;)

Some of the bass and the synth stuff reminded me of Snarky Puppy.

That fretless solo was very nice. I probably would have put it more centered in the mix... But you've got some good balance with the movement on the other side.

Haha... I love Snarky Puppy! They are definitely one of the bands I'm listening to on repeat at the moment :)

You are right, the solo is panned pretty hard to the left. I may try to change this for the final album version when I've written a few more tracks. The difficulty is though, that all of the rhythm guitar parts really need to be panned left or they compete with the other instruments on the right too much. Particularly cellos and violas get drowned out with an electric guitar on their side of the stage, while it sits nicely on the left underneath the violins.
The way that the solo begins as an extension from the rhythm part makes it hard to pan to center for the solo without noticing it 'moving'. I'll need to experiment more with this, as I do agree that the solo in isolation would probably sound better in the centre. I suppose I shouldn't worry about using automation for things like that in this particular mix, with all the other ridiculous panning going on :p

Hmmmm.....I thought I was the only one with a Surfreter, Linnstrument , and fret less bass...but you put them together quite nicely, thanks for sharing.

Thanks man! Good to have another fretless player in these parts! I'm not surprised that other fretless players end up with LinnStruments; they are quite similar in a lot of ways - both in technique, and also as they have a tendency to unleash the experimental.

Back
Top Bottom