Fret Zealot - anyone check this out?

I messed around with one about a year ago and didn't like it at all. The lights were extremely bright, so bright that it was almost painful and made everything bleed together, especially while holding the guitar in playing position and looking down at the fretboard. Even with sunglasses on it was too much to not be a distraction. Trying it while playing along with a song was worse than worthless. By the time the LED came on for the note and you reacted to it, the song had already moved on.

However, I'll admit didn't really spend a ton of time with it so I suppose if one were to get used to the method it uses to teach and utilize its strengths better, it seems like it should be a useful learning aid.

The other thing I didn't like is how big and heavy the battery and control box is. It's like having a deck of cards affixed to your headstock with a few wires and connectors dangling around here and there. When mounted on the fretboard, the LED strips were reasonably unobtrusive but they were really stuck on there from what I could tell. You'd have to dedicate a guitar to the system so the LEDs could be permanently mounted.

Interesting. I wondered about the brightness of the LED's and if it would be too much to look at. Timing too would be a factor if playing along. It does seem rather cumbersome with all the attachments; but a very cool concept. If it were priced lower and yes, having a dedicated guitar, for the system makes sense

Back
Top Bottom