Fret filing question

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Quick question.. I’ve got the stewmac fret file for shaving down high frets, and also the fret eraser kit that starts at 220 and goes up to 8000grit.

my question is it feels like I’m missing a step. Getting the grind marks off the frets with the 220 eraser is not really working.

what do you guys use as the first step after filing is complete?

Basically, in any kind of metal work, you use the next higher grit to get off grind marks. So if the files are 150, you use 180, then 220...etc. How aggressive is the file you used initially?

Basically, in any kind of metal work, you use the next higher grit to get off grind marks. So if the files are 150, you use 180, then 220...etc. How aggressive is the file you used initially?
it is the Stewmac fret Kisser with 300 grit diamond abrasive. Maybe it’s just the fret erasers aren’t as effective as actual sand paper?

it is the Stewmac fret Kisser with 300 grit diamond abrasive. Maybe it’s just the fret erasers aren’t as effective as actual sand paper?
They are not. They are more buffers than anything. Even still, anything that is 320 should easily be able to remove 300 grit marks.

I level with 320 paper on a metal straight edge, the files I tried were very coarse and you loose a lot of fret before you get them recrowned and polished.

I use Micro Mesh finishing system and am sold on it. Start with their 1500 and go through each 'grit' until you get the result you want. You can buff to an extremely bright shine or stop once you no longer feel any sanding marks.

NOTE Their number system is not the same as standard grit ratings. There are conversion charts available online.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...237QuyrVdSGmwVjm034ViQIjh4YHSAHoaAu0NEALw_wcB
Ok that helps a lot. I was looking at their micromesh and the grit numbers just didn’t make sense!

220 grit is very rough and should be fine after a file . As you get better with a file you can make sure that there are no deep scrapes just with better file technique .

Back
Top Bottom