Fresh new AFX 3 from axe Ii and KPA.

bleedthefreak

Inspired
So I just recieved my new 3. And what a beast. This thing has so many additional features. I have had a 2 since the mark 1 days so I am well versed in making my way through the menus.

I used the 2 in a FOH config and also through my own FrFr cabs with Matrix 800Gt, 1500gt. I also used a Fryette 290 to power some Full range speakers. The point is I have used this rig in multiple configs.

The 3 really is a major upgrade. The menu seems easier to get around in and the editor and graphics are very easy to use and a step up. Sound wise it isn't far off from the 2 if not the same to my ears.

It my short stint of owning a KPA I really loved the tones but they lacked a major difference. the high gain stuff sounded great. Everything was very bright and brittle at much larger volumes through my SS. I know Fractal stuff all too well and for me they are easier to navigate. It was an easy decision to upgrade to a 3. Ultimately the tube will always win for live with a loud drummer but hey for an all in one studio and FOH solution it just can't be beat.

Its fantastic in a live situation. The Kemper has way to much midrange that cannot be dialed out. I’ve never sounded better using my Axe Fx III. Going to purchase an FM3 too and whatever Cliff comes up with next. 😀

I used Kemper live. It’s fine. Way to much headache programming deep midi parameters using NPRN. Glad I sold it. Great for 3 things in my setup, not enough programming functionality for my needs. Glad it works for you!

In order to do basic deep MIDI programming with the Kemper you need to use a protocol called NPRN. You have to put in code into your midi controller, 4 lines of it in order to control something as simple as delay time. With the Axe Fx and Helix simple to do, Kemper, not so! Also cannot get MY sound using Kemper. Profiles are someone else’s guitar through their version of what sounds good. I spent hundreds of dollars on profiles, could never get (my) sound. I’m sure if I would have profiled myself with a real amp using my guitar I’d be happy as a clam bake

In order to do basic deep MIDI programming with the Kemper you need to use a protocol called NPRN. You have to put in code into your midi controller, 4 lines of it in order to control something as simple as delay time. With the Axe Fx and Helix simple to do, Kemper, not so! Also cannot get MY sound using Kemper. Profiles are someone else’s guitar through their version of what sounds good. I spent hundreds of dollars on profiles, could never get (my) sound. I’m sure if I would have profiled myself with a real amp using my guitar I’d be happy as a clam bake
I'm an Axe fanatic - has been my exclusive gig rig for the past 10 years (Ultra, Axe2, AX8, AxeIII).
But I also have many tube amps and a Kemper in my basement.
If you didn't profile your own amp with the Kemper, then you really missed out.
My old school favorite Marshall JMP-1 and Marshall 100/100 power amp have been profiled (by me) and they are spot on.
Kemper does a great job of taking a 'photo copy' of your existing amp.
Very different tool than the Axe, but still amazing.

Back
Top Bottom