Wish Frequency plot of IR in Cabinet Block

One second of listening to an IR will give me more useful information then I would get by staring at its graph for an eternity. Cool? Perhaps. Useful? Not for me.
Glad that works for you.

After a while of listening to IR after IR while auditioning them, I get ear fatigue.

Being as I can look at the graph and at least get a general idea about it, it would help weed out bassy IRs if looking for bright, or vice-versa, which helps focus my time/effort on more useful candidates to audition.

"Eyes and ears" works better....

Glad that works for you.

After a while of listening to IR after IR while auditioning them, I get ear fatigue.

Being as I can look at the graph and at least get a general idea about it, it would help weed out bassy IRs if looking for bright, or vice-versa, which helps focus my time/effort on more useful candidates to audition.

"Eyes and ears" works better....
Glad that works for you.

I wish it were that simple. The problem for me is compounded by the fact that a dark IR might be perfect if I boost the overall highs and a bright IR might be perfect if I cut the highs and boost the bass. The character of the sound is in the fine grain, not the overall shape.

I'm not opposing the wish. I have cab lab and enjoy looking at the plots. I just think they have no real value in practice. Choosing an IR a bitch and, for me, there's no shortcut or workaround to auditioning each and every one.

What would be far more helpful to me is to be able to have unlimited user-named categories with which to tag each IR (even if only in axe-edit). The color scheme is inadequate.

But I don't want to dump on the wish, so....

+1

Last edited:
I guess so... I never really stray too far away from my go to I/R's so looking at and listening to hundreds of them tends to make my ears ring and my eyes glaze over.

Being as I can look at the graph and at least get a general idea about it, it would help weed out
THIS.
I guess so... I never really stray too far away from my go to I/R's so looking at and listening to hundreds of them tends to make my ears ring and my eyes glaze over.
I'd say this is quite a common phenomenon. Also, having a look at the frequency plot of one's "go-to" IRs will help familiarise oneself with the general EQ of the tone and then look for other IRs or set up a PEQ/GEQ block or tweak amp settings accordingly while building or re-building tones.

Anyway, the primary reason that I think this might be a reasonable wish is that this already exists in the fractal-verse, making it only a matter of bringing it into Axe-Edit and/or the front panel. (I'm no software engineer so I may be wrong!)

Back
Top Bottom