Wish Frequency plot of IR in Cabinet Block

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I saw Cab Lab does this SUPER cool thing where it shows you the frequency plot of an IR, and if you mix and add IRs, the frequency graph changes depending on how they intereact with one another. I think that is SUPER cool and educational, and think it would be awesome if that could be implemented in the Cab Block in some way.

A big +1 on this. Not only would this be an interesting way to somewhat make sense of IRs visually (yes, I know use your ears and all but still, visual representation can make for quicker decisions), it would straight up look cool. Maybe this can be a Axe-Edit only thing? Either ways, would love to see something like this. Since Cab Lab already has it, I don’t see why it’d be too hard to implement, at least for Axe Edit.

I'm all for cool looking stuff, and I'm in favor of more information in general, but honestly, I don't see how it's going to change my decision making process. Do you really think you can tell a good IR for some particular purpose by looking at its frequency response plot? It could help pick out problem frequencies to EQ out, but you can do that already with the generic RTA block, without being confined only to IRs.

but you can do that already with the generic RTA block, without being confined only to IRs.
I’ve never found the RTA to be precise enough to look at “problem” frequencies like that. But maybe that’s just user error on my part. Anyway, IIRC, the IR Capture feature also shows the frequency plot on the Axe Fx screen like Cab Lab; I’d love for that to be visible in the cab block, too, is all.

I’ve never found the RTA to be precise enough to look at “problem” frequencies like that. But maybe that’s just user error on my part. Anyway, IIRC, the IR Capture feature also shows the frequency plot on the Axe Fx screen like Cab Lab; I’d love for that to be visible in the cab block, too, is all.
Agree, another reason why having it in the cab block wouldn't really rock my world.

What would be really great though is if the RTA block had a "cursor", a vertical line you could move with as much precision as possible, that also had a readout of its frequency. That would make it much more useful for this sort of thing.

Align page shows the time domain waveform, not the frequency plot.

Probably the closest you'll get in the box is running white noise from the synth block through the IR and using the RTA block to see the resulting plot.

What would be really great though is if the RTA block had a "cursor", a vertical line you could move with as much precision as possible, that also had a readout of its frequency. That would make it much more useful for this sort of thing.
The RTA block does have that. You can use the value wheel to scroll the frequency blocks.

As for having a graph of the IR, I don't think it's particularly useful. I have this on the ML Sound Lab MIKKO plugin and I don't find it to provide that useful information about the changes you make to the mic positioning and that's way more flexible than what the Fractal cab block can do.

If I am making my own IRs then yes a frequency plot of the IR can be useful but for factory and 3rd party IRs not so much.

The RTA block does have that. You can use the value wheel to scroll the frequency blocks.
Didn't know about that, will check it out thanks.

As for having a graph of the IR, I don't think it's particularly useful. I have this on the ML Sound Lab MIKKO plugin and I don't find it to provide that useful information about the changes you make to the mic positioning and that's way more flexible than what the Fractal cab block can do.

If I am making my own IRs then yes a frequency plot of the IR can be useful but for factory and 3rd party IRs not so much.
Agree.

Back
Top Bottom