Frequencies to dial out that "grindy" tone?

stm113

Power User
Ok so I am ashamed to admit that after almost 5 years of Axe FX II ownership I am just now getting to serious recording. Something I am noticing, especially when I compare to other recording sounds that I like is that I'm the tones I record seem to have this "grindy" kind of quality to them (can't think of a better term). I could be wrong but it seems to be in the mids- upper mids range. I've been thinking that it's just how the AF2 does or OwnHammer IR's that I've been using sound.

Yesterday I pulled up a recording I did in 2007 using a Randall MTS head (various modules) into a 4x12 cab w/V30's mic'd with an sm57 and an e609, and noticed similar tonal qualities, which good news for the AF2, means it's not a Fractal thing, it could be a me thing, or if anyone else finds this to happen also. Of so, is this something that is done w/eq in the DAW on the individual track or is it some that goes away when eq'ing the master on the mix or during mastering?

I also came here to ask because something popped in my head that I had read while reading reviews on the AF2 where some "studio" guy said that any recording engineer worth his salt would set the mid on an amp over 10-11 o'clock in a recording session, which got me to thinking "am I dialing my B/M/T all wrong?" Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The clip in the link in the one I recorded back in 2007 so not done with the AF2 but it has the same tonal quality I am talking about.

***clip disclaimer*** If you listen to thr clip you'll understand why we're going to re-record this project. While I love the song the production quality is horrendous, we knew just enough to get in trouble back then.

Last edited:
Put a sweepable PEQ plug in your DAW on the guitar track.

Set it for a fairly narrow Q / Deep cut (looks like a skinny pointy triangle)

With the track playing, sweep the frequency until you find the spot you need to cut.

Back off the cut and adjust the Q to taste. I usually like to cut as little as possible when I'm trying to fix something with EQ.

Thank you, I know to do that, reading my post I kind of left out that fact, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if having to cut out high mids is common to avoid that grindy, buzz saw kind of tone. I'm not looking for Metallica-esque scooped mids, but is scooping some mid frequencies in this kind of context a healthy thing?

Thank you, I know to do that, reading my post I kind of left out that fact, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if having to cut out high mids is common to avoid that grindy, buzz saw kind of tone. I'm not looking for Metallica-esque scooped mids, but is scooping some mid frequencies in this kind of context a healthy thing?

Personal taste and the overall mix of the song really comes into play here so it's hard for someone to judge.

For me, what you are describing is the classic Marshall grind. There are amp models that don't have that. USA Clean for example or the Shiva.

My personal taste would be to use the grindy Marshally stuff if the song needed it. My mixes are very guitar centric so I would tend to cut other tracks to make room for the guitar :)

I fixed the link if you want to hear thr clip, the guitar on the right side particularly as that's my track. It's a good example of that "tone" that I'm talking about.

Something I am noticing, especially when I compare to other recording sounds that I like is that I'm the tones I record seem to have this "grindy" kind of quality to them (can't think of a better term). I could be wrong but it seems to be in the mids- upper mids range.
First, we need to define what you mean by "grindy." It might not have anything to do with EQ at all. Maybe it's the amp's distortion character, and a change of amp model or gain structure would reduce it. Many guitarists spend their lives searching for a perfect grinding tone.

The guitars seem a little strident in that clip, mainly because the bass and drums are buried in the mix. Bring them forward to take their rightful place, and you'll be grateful for that grind helping you cut through.

...some "studio" guy said that any recording engineer worth his salt would set the mid on an amp over 10-11 o'clock in a recording session...
Any recording engineer worth his salt would set the mid on an amp by ear—based on the amp, the desired tone, and its intended use—instead of blindly following a formula. He might even consider working with the guitarist, instead of commandeering the guy's rig and setting it where he pleases.

@Rex really layed it out the way I see it.

There are absolutely no wrote formulas for mixing.

I moved on the next level when I realized it was all about having a goal or vision for the mix and then make all your decisions to support that vision.

Since each project is unique and your vision is personal, the decisions you make might not be what I would do.

In that light, the questions would be like "how do I make this guitar sit back in the mix?" or how to I get the low toms, kick and bass guitar not to fight? or how do I get the lead vocal forward but still mix the guitars hot as hell because a) I am a guitar player and b) I am a guitar player :)

Reactions: Rex
The guitars seem a little strident in that clip, mainly because the bass and drums are buried in the mix. Bring them forward to take their rightful place, and you'll be grateful for that grind helping you cut through.

This.

I don't see (hear) any problem with the guitar track in the right channel at all, it sounds fine to me. By itself. The mix, however, is another thing. The rhythm section is buried, as mentioned before, and guitars seem like they are samples from totally different songs/bands and were just matched by some DJ wizardry. It needs some glue, IMHO, to make it all come together. When that's done, that "grind" may be totally useful.

Back
Top Bottom