Fremen's ODS Ford new 5 scenes preset

Black Bitch

Fractal Fanatic
Here is a loud demo of Fremen's new 5 scenes presets with fw 7.02. This time I brought other Matrix Q12a aswell to the practice room to enjoy the presets in stereo. I had 2 hours of fun playing with the ODS Ford. The first part of the video is as Fremen made it. No tweaks - no eq and the second part I added Motor Drive and liked it most on 6.70. What do you like more? With or without Motor Drive. While I was playing I felt better without Motor Drive. Listening now on my pc 4.1 monitor sytem the one with Motor Drive seems to have a bit more bite do it. What do you think?

I think the second one is a bit darker and less thin. Didn't load FW7.02 yet. Maybe next weekend if I have some time; problem is we'll be recording some new stuff (finally) end of april so I'm not very keen on having to retweak my sounds...

Listened again (on my computer speakers..sorry), I definitely find that with the motor drive the sound is more "bar-adapted": Just a bit thicker like a small wattage amp that you must push harder in a bar to get through the drums.

Will definitely have to take some time to try this FW

I liked the second one better.

I gravitate towards "too much" for live shows. I've always felt like they need to be larger than life vs. studio sounding.

Thanks for posting this back-to-back comparison, Tony... and very nice playing, as usual!

As others have said (and contrary to your comment) I feel it's pretty clear that the first clip (without motor drive) is brighter... which is what I think of as having "more bite". The 2nd clip is darker, but "warmer" and having less "bite".

As to which is better... different question. I prefer the first, even by itself. I'm pretty sure i'd prefer it even more, in a full band mix. However, I suspect my pref would be to set it around 1-2, as opposed to 6.7, as you said it was. A little of the motor drive is magic... but the loss of high end when using amounts over 1-2 would make me want to tweak more "bite" into the tone, w/ treble, bright, presence... whatever.

I'm going thru the exact questioning with my own patches, including the Dumble-ish CA OD2 patch I use. I tried putting motor drive at 4-5, as many people here seem to prefer. For me, the patch lost too much clarity and bite... so I was happiest at around 1.5, and the Time Constant at around .3. I wasn't happy with the loss of pick attack, when I ran the Time Constant much higher than that.

Anyway, I guess this setting is awfully subjective!

Thanks for posting this back-to-back comparison, Tony... and very nice playing, as usual!

As others have said (and contrary to your comment) I feel it's pretty clear that the first clip (without motor drive) is brighter... which is what I think of as having "more bite". The 2nd clip is darker, but "warmer" and having less "bite".

As to which is better... different question. I prefer the first, even by itself. I'm pretty sure i'd prefer it even more, in a full band mix. However, I suspect my pref would be to set it around 1-2, as opposed to 6.7, as you said it was. A little of the motor drive is magic... but the loss of high end when using amounts over 1-2 would make me want to tweak more "bite" into the tone, w/ treble, bright, presence... whatever.

I'm going thru the exact questioning with my own patches, including the Dumble-ish CA OD2 patch I use. I tried putting motor drive at 4-5, as many people here seem to prefer. For me, the patch lost too much clarity and bite... so I was happiest at around 1.5, and the Time Constant at around .3. I wasn't happy with the loss of pick attack, when I ran the Time Constant much higher than that.

Anyway, I guess this setting is awfully subjective!

Well I felt the second has more bite but maybe I'm using the wrong word. It get's a bit more raw or grind? But the higher I turn up the Motor Drive the volume goes down and I had to compensate with the Output Level. By the way, when the Motor Drive goes past 5 or 6 it gets different again and it gets brighter again. Anyway it was A/B ing a preset to compare. And I musst admitt, the feel while playing was better with the first one. ;)

By the way, when the Motor Drive goes past 5 or 6 it gets different again and it gets brighter again

I'll have to investigate that, Tony!

As I indicated, I didn't really care for the loss of clarity and high end, so I didn't try it above 4 or 5... so I missed the phenomenon you're describing. I look forward to checking it out.

Back
Top Bottom