Fremen AX8 presets released

Some good acoustic sounds in there (right on the 29 sec mark you play one chord before changing pickups. I liked the sound there but hard to be sure from just one fraction of a second). Are these in the Acoustic pack (or will be in the future?). Sorry but don't know about the Sigma IR files (I assume they are a 3rd party library?). Is the acoustic pack included in the $49 (52 bank) preset pack or are they separate entities?

There's two acoustic IRs (one for bridge humbucker, the other for intermediary positions) in my 49 $ pack, and 45 in the acoustic simulation pack

http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-summary-of-my-commercial-presets.html

The 3 Sigma IRs get a lot of talk here :
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ir-please-do-irs-3-sigma-audio.1727558/page-5

Imho, they work much better with piezo pickups. Not a fan of the IRs for standard electric pickups. But in my experience it's better to make an IR from an electro-acoustic guitar than from a miked acoustic one for simulation with a standard electric guitar. The former sounds boxy, it may some acoustic guitar characteristics, but like a badly miked one

Just checked out the thread. It looks like they are more geared toward improving a DI acoustic track. The electric sounded ok but hard to tell without strumming. Which 3 Sigma IR's are you using. The Gibson sounded best to me.

I use the Taylor. Yes they works best for piezo guitars, unfortunately I don't have one. But I have an electro-acoustic and for it I still prefer my own IRs too

I hate to do this, but I have too.

So, I have been sharing presets since 2009, for Axe Standard/Ultra, and 2010, for Axe II. All my banks, that is, which was quite unique, and they became somewhat popular – I don't like to brag about it, but many times I recorded up to 5 000 visits in less than a week on my blog (where the files were downloaded) after a new release. Besides the numerous kudos on the forums, I also received literally thousands of private emails, sometimes asking technical questions, many times just thanking me for helping them to keep the Axe they were going to sell, just because of my presets. Some of those users of my sounds became good friends and we sometimes even exchange mails that are not guitar related.

So, after using a free donation system, I decided to go (semi)professional with my presets. I'm saying "semi" because, it's true, I don't have a proper website to sell them ; instead, I manually send a link each time I receive a payment. I decided to do this for two reasons : 1) there's a enormous work besides all those presets, you have no idea (I have severe OCD and I can work for straight 12 hours a day on presets, instead of going to the beach like my friends do). I don't have to update all these presets because I don't use most of them, but I took the habit to do it because people were counting on them ; 2) and yes, I need money. I live in an emerging African country, my monthly pay is not even 1 000 dollars, and I can lose my job at any time – I work in a newspaper which used to print 40 000 copies daily and now print 8 000 (and probably sells only half of it), 30 of my colleagues were fired in January and I don't know who's next. So that money is a sort of psychological safety, it helps me to know that if ever I lose my job, I will still be able to repay my monthly apartment loan for some time.

Which brings me to the part I like the less. I received this mail from someone who just bought my AX8 presets, apparently a new Fractal user (after three previous mails where I explained to him how to use Fractal Bot) :

Him : I want my money back. This is way too fucking complicated and requires the purchase of commercial cabs to install properly. I dont have a hope of getting these to work.

Me : did you watch the "sending cabs" video included in Dropbox ? You don't even need to use Fractal Bot to send the cabs, a drag and drop will do. And you don't need commercial cabs if you use the "Alternate banks".

Him : There was no video in the dropbox that I could see. What was it called?

Me : (I send him a screenshot of the dropbox folder). You should also have read the "IMPORTANT - read me ! ! !.txt" text file. It explains everything

Him : Yeah, but you can't read that till to pay and get the dropbox link.
Him : I'll revisit tommorow and keep to posted

Me : Watch this :
1) ( direct link to the dropbox video showing how to send cabs into Axe Manage
2)

But if it's still too complicated for you, let me know

Him : (after watching my "sending cabs" video) : Where do I get this axe-manage:cabs software?
Him : Axe-manage cabs is not available in ax8 edit. It is only available for the axe-fx.Please give me my money back. Your video does not work for the ax8

Me (after receiving a Paypal dispute claim) : Axe manage works in AX8 edit. Click on tools/Cab Manage
I was going to propose to send you two files : one with all the presets, the other with all the free cabs
but yeah I can give you your money back (…)

Finally, the guy admits to me that he's "incompetent with technology. I struggle a lot but I am trying to learn"

I have absolutely no problem refunding someone, even if he will keep my presets and will probably find a way to make them work for him. But jeez, these kind of things pumps so much of my energy that after that, all I want is to stop all this and do presets for myself only…

Apologies for the whining. I'm just feeling very very tired.

thank you for all you do and and all the help you have provided in the past FREE of charge! :D
You have given so much to the community :)
This is why I bought a premium package.
Money well spent ;)
Now do you understand me Fremen :oops:

Last edited:
Hey Fremen,
I just purchased your presets over the weekend and while I haven't had a chance to check out every single preset yet, the ones that I have are amazing! And I still just using the "alternate" versions! Can't wait to get some of the necessary Cab Packs and try out the normal ones! Great Job and well worth the money!

Hi Freman. I want to purchase your Preset pack, but I just got my AX8 and am completely green. I get the sense I cannot just press a button and boom its done. When you talk about using third party cabs which we have to install in the correct places, do you have exact instructions so even a complete noob can do it? Or do the "alternate" patches mean you don't have to do that as opposed to the "normal" patches? Do I update to firmware 4 first and then download your pack or...?

I'm want to buy but am worried I wont be able to get this thing up and running. I have yet to download any patches or even download the new firmware yet.

thanks

Last edited:
Sending cab look like this :

all you have to do is to send them at the right place - IR 003 goes to user 003, etc

There's like 30 free user cabs which you'll need for the alternate versions. Forget about the normal versions, it's more complicated

It looks really easy for me but I don't know if you're computer literate or not :)

- ok, done, but there seems to be less free cabs in your dropbox download than there is in that video. am i missing something?

- how close are the alternate patches to the normal ones?

- and, I bought them, so how do I get the presets into ax8 edit? The presets are .syx files (whatever that is), and I can see them in the preset folders, but not sure how to get them into the ax8. And do they need to go to specific banks?

Last edited:
sending the presets :

and a video comparing normal and alternate versions (for the Axe-Fx II but the sound is the same in the AX8) :

There is 85 free cabs in Dropbox

thanks I got it working, sounds great but I've only scratched the surface. heres a question: with 64 banks available, i can't fit all your presets plus the factory ones. is there a way to fit everything, or do i have to erase some factory presets?

I suggest that you select all the factory presets that you really like and copy to banks 55 to 64. Then you can load my own presets on banks 01-54

OK. But is it important to load the presets in banks 1-54, or is it ok to move them around?

Also, the ones I was most looking forward to were the ones with the scenes (banks 11-13). How do I set it so I can change scenes on the ax8 foot switches?

And, why is the screen on the ax8 blank on some of the presets?

thanks!

OK. 1) But is it important to load the presets in banks 1-54, or is it ok to move them around?

2) Also, the ones I was most looking forward to were the ones with the scenes (banks 11-13). How do I set it so I can change scenes on the ax8 foot switches?

3) And, why is the screen on the ax8 blank on some of the presets?

thanks!
1) No you can put them where you want
2) you need to learn how to put the AX8 footswitches in scenes mode, the AX8 is highly configurable for that
3) I programmed footswitches assignations only for presets that I use live. The other presets are meant to be a big library of tones and effects that you can customize like you want

Yes it's great ! Get Chris' "AX8 footswitch strategies" if you want to know more. And don't diregard the fact that for each preset, you can assign effects but also scenes to the switches at the same time

one more question...will these patches sound the same if I plug just my L Out into the PA instead of both the L & R Outs? In other words, are they mainly mono or are some stereo?

Back
Top Bottom