Fixed Freeze up switching presets

I only had two "freezes" on my FM3 until yesterday. One was when the USB came loose. So I wasn't too concerned.

Last night at practice at the bass player's house it went fine for a few songs and then kept freezing all the time, literally I could use the switches maybe twice and then it froze. I probably restarted the FM3 about 20 times. Switch 1 and 2 swap scenes, switch 3 is CS4 for solo boost, long tap for tuner. Each one of these could lock up all 3 switches. I forgot to check whether the external switch (preset up/down) would still work, and whether it would unfreeze. Expression pedal for wah was still working.

Today, I have been banging on the FM3 at home and it hasn't locked up yet. I have been on latest firmware since it came out. Two weeks ago with no change in between I did not have this problem at practice.

Could this be a power problem? I do use a Furman power conditioner. (Furman AC-215A Compact Power Conditioner). Bass player also uses FM3 and to my knowledge did not have any freezes so far.

I only had two "freezes" on my FM3 until yesterday. One was when the USB came loose. So I wasn't too concerned.

Last night at practice at the bass player's house it went fine for a few songs and then kept freezing all the time, literally I could use the switches maybe twice and then it froze. I probably restarted the FM3 about 20 times. Switch 1 and 2 swap scenes, switch 3 is CS4 for solo boost, long tap for tuner. Each one of these could lock up all 3 switches. I forgot to check whether the external switch (preset up/down) would still work, and whether it would unfreeze. Expression pedal for wah was still working.

Today, I have been banging on the FM3 at home and it hasn't locked up yet. I have been on latest firmware since it came out. Two weeks ago with no change in between I did not have this problem at practice.

Could this be a power problem? I do use a Furman power conditioner. (Furman AC-215A Compact Power Conditioner). Bass player also uses FM3 and to my knowledge did not have any freezes so far.

Mine only freezes at rehearsals... maybe is some kind of stage terror algo

What ever became of this issue? I'm having the exact same problem and have been for several firmware versions but I have been putting off figuring it out until now. Good to know I'm not the only one but would be great to know what became of your situation.
I actually ended up sending my unit back to fractal to have them test it out. Of course, they couldn't get it to lock up. LOL. However, they replaced the button board, sent it back and it has worked like a champ ever since!

Interesting. They have been trying to replicate the issue with my presets and supposedly found an issue they are trying to track down so maybe I won't need to send mine back.

Since updating to the latest beta firmware 3.02 the footswitch lockups don't happen as quickly as they used to. Now the switches locks up after about 10 minutes of play where as before it would lock up within a minute or 2 of switching effects on and off.

Last edited:
Since updating to the latest beta firmware 3.02 the footswitch lockups don't happen as quickly as they used to. Now the switches locks up after about 10 minutes of play where as before it would lock up within a minute or 2 of switching effects on and off.
So you switch an effect on or off, play for about 10 minutes and then it locks? Does it happen also when you play without switching (meaning: you play for ten minutes and try to switch just to discover that you can’t)? Does it occur with any preset?

It's tough to answer but I would venture to say yes, it locks up based on use of footswitches not on time used on the unit as a whole. I dedided to roll back to the earliest firmware I have (FW 1.03) in my computer and I have worked the footswitches really good and it hasn't glitches or frozen at all. I think this is something that is code related and not hardware, which I'm glad. Hopefully they will figure it out and fix it. As people atart to gig with these units after restrictions are lifted they will get more complaints about this I bet.

Last edited:
It's tough to answer but I would venture to say yes, it locks up based on use of footswitches not on time used on the unit as a whole. I dedided to roll back to the earliest firmware I have (FW 1.03) in my computer and I have worked the footswitches really good and it hasn't glitches or frozen at all. I think this is something that is code related and not hardware, which I'm glad. Hopefully they will figure it out and fix it. As people atart to gig with these units after restrictions are lifted they will get more complaints about this I bet.
That's outstanding news! Yes it sounds like a software glitch.

Back
Top Bottom