FREE ML Sound Lab IRs: "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y"

Nympho
.... We used a real Mark IV for this recording with settings close to these but we lowered the bass knob to 0-2 depending on the song and we also changed the amount of drive depending on the riff and guitar being used.

I'm a little bit surprised that you used a real Mark IV instead of using the AxeFx?

I'm a little bit surprised that you used a real Mark IV instead of using the AxeFx?

Well actually one of the songs on the EP was re-recorded on an Axe-Fx with these IRs. :)

Using a real amp was all about the possibilities we had. We have many real amp choices as well. We wanted everything as real as possible on a psychological level. That includes no triggering for drums and no autotune.

Last edited:
Thanks Man!
It's really amazing you shared these IRs! Respect!
Most of the people would be toooo envious to share them!
And hmmm DAT Picture.
I love my Axe Fx, but what is more sexy than a miced up naked Mesa Trad. Cab :p
(Don't upload the pictures of those hot chicks from your other opened tabs Guys :D )

Tried them last night and they sounded so close to Rock Discipline video guitar tone. a mix of Royer and SM57 sounded great. the alloy one is nice as well. Though I needed to scoop more mids on Mark amp sims than before. all great though. Thanks dude!

I have to say, I don't really like the NuMetal style, but I'm really enjoying your EP. The production blows me away over and over again. I look forward to you posting a preset of a close match of the tone you used on the EP. :)

Suggestion: you might want to attach the album art to the MP3s. I pulled it off Google, but still - branding, man!

I have to say, I don't really like the NuMetal style, but I'm really enjoying your EP. The production blows me away over and over again. I look forward to you posting a preset of a close match of the tone you used on the EP. :)

Suggestion: you might want to attach the album art to the MP3s. I pulled it off Google, but still - branding, man!

Good point! :)

EDIT: And thank you for the production likage! ;) I was actually thinking about this mix that now that it's ready... if you want to create a tut of this it might be possible. It's got way more things going on and natural drums without triggering.

Last edited:
I had a good listen to the EP yesterday and it's really great Mikko.

It's interesting that I hear elements I liked in bands I'm not really into put into a band I do like.
For instance, I love the guitar work of Wes Borland but don't like Limp Bizkit. I hear some influence from him but with really good vocals in CKJ instead of the Fred Durst approach which I have no interest in.

Awesome work mate.

That "greatest hits" recording you posted sounds bloody good too, both in tone and the song itself.

I can't wait to have a good fiddle with the IRs when I get the chance. I had a little play with them and they are going to be in amongst my favourites list I think.

Thanks again Mikko, you are an absolute champ.

I had a good listen to the EP yesterday and it's really great Mikko.

It's interesting that I hear elements I liked in bands I'm not really into put into a band I do like.
For instance, I love the guitar work of Wes Borland but don't like Limp Bizkit. I hear some influence from him but with really good vocals in CKJ instead of the Fred Durst approach which I have no interest in.

Awesome work mate.

That "greatest hits" recording you posted sounds bloody good too, both in tone and the song itself.

I can't wait to have a good fiddle with the IRs when I get the chance. I had a little play with them and they are going to be in amongst my favourites list I think.

Thanks again Mikko, you are an absolute champ.

Aww thank you man! That's exactly what our approach is. We do love Wes Borland a lot. His attitude and the cleans that are U2 esque etc. It's all amazing. There were other bands like that back in the day but everyone remembers Limp Bizkit first right? We like old Linkin Park, Korn, P.O.D and the whole nu metal genre in general I guess but obviously if we intend to bring the genre back to this decade it has to be a bit "nu" in new ways. I hope we succeeded. :)

Thank YOU GUYS!

Great songs, and add me to the "likes the production, too" list. And many thanks for the IRs. You rock in more ways than one.

ML,

I listened to the 5 songs EP all the way through once yesterday and about 3-4 times today, while I had a 1 hour trips back and forth around Cleveland. My least favorite is probably #4, but mainly due to the lyrics. I understand freedom of artistic expression, and I guess I understand there is a huge market for all types of music, but my observation about your band is, that you are very commercially appealing. Last night, I bought Beck's grammy award winning album, and started listening to it today also. I ended up turning it off, in favor of listening to your songs over and over in the car as I drove around.

As I mentioned, everything about your band is commercially viable. It is "aggressive" but with polished production and a commercially mainstream friendly type of sound ---the thing that would hold it back from radio play and greater acceptance would be the profanity. Call me old fashioned and out of touch, what have you, but we all make our choices -- IMHO with some poetic modifications, you could broaden the potential audience and exposure to your music exponentially.

That said, I am in awe of the polish of the finished mixes. Every instrument is audible. The vocals are like a beautiful woman nuzzled in a fur coat of the guitars and drums, with her beautiful head just above the protection of the fur. Everything is balanced, and full. There is a similar modus operandi to the mixes - the use of a guitar sound that has no plug-ins or is warmer and not very loud, breaking into an in-your-face loud and clear double or quad-tracked guitar wall of sound. I love it!!!

I know producers force people to sign non-disclosure agreements to protect their trade secrets and studio methods -- but I would really love to know how you got each instrument and the vocals to sound the way they do, for instance what plug-ins are your go-to plug-ins and how you side chain compression or VCA groups and what you do in the mastering process to achieve that finished sound. It is truly stellar, and magical.

I am a fan.

Great, great, great job.

I can say, "hey, I knew that guy when he was just a pain in the ass on this forum, telling Cliff about all the mistakes in the firmware releases."

Look how far we've come!!!!!

Rod

ML,
As I mentioned, everything about your band is commercially viable. It is "aggressive" but with polished production and a commercially mainstream friendly type of sound ---the thing that would hold it back from radio play and greater acceptance would be the profanity. Call me old fashioned and out of touch, what have you, but we all make our choices -- IMHO with some poetic modifications, you could broaden the potential audience and exposure to your music exponentially.

That said, I am in awe of the polish of the finished mixes. Every instrument is audible. The vocals are like a beautiful woman nuzzled in a fur coat of the guitars and drums, with her beautiful head just above the protection of the fur. Everything is balanced, and full. There is a similar modus operandi to the mixes - the use of a guitar sound that has no plug-ins or is warmer and not very loud, breaking into an in-your-face loud and clear double or quad-tracked guitar wall of sound. I love it!!!

I know producers force people to sign non-disclosure agreements to protect their trade secrets and studio methods -- but I would really love to know how you got each instrument and the vocals to sound the way they do, for instance what plug-ins are your go-to plug-ins and how you side chain compression or VCA groups and what you do in the mastering process to achieve that finished sound. It is truly stellar, and magical.

I am a fan.

Great, great, great job.

I can say, "hey, I knew that guy when he was just a pain in the ass on this forum, telling Cliff about all the mistakes in the firmware releases."

Rod

This!! Well said!

ML,

I listened to the 5 songs EP all the way through once yesterday and about 3-4 times today, while I had a 1 hour trips back and forth around Cleveland. My least favorite is probably #4, but mainly due to the lyrics. I understand freedom of artistic expression, and I guess I understand there is a huge market for all types of music, but my observation about your band is, that you are very commercially appealing. Last night, I bought Beck's grammy award winning album, and started listening to it today also. I ended up turning it off, in favor of listening to your songs over and over in the car as I drove around.

I am a fan.

Great, great, great job.

Rod

Thanks for one of the best posts I've ever received on this forum. :) Really awesome Rod! Thank you so much from the band.

The production is really a build up of years of trial and error. The approach to mixing I had here was really deep and I was already thinking about doing a tutorial with Brock on Groove3 explaining everything. PM me if you want more detail in something specific. :)

The song #4 is supposed to be ironic. I'm not sure if people get the message across but it's sort of the yin where the other songs are the yang. It's telling about a person who is glad he got fired and he's kind of fed up with restrictions of "the system". Then on another song the main chorus vocal line in "Good Enough" goes: "Leaving jobs that feel too tough. Nothing's ever good enough." :) Without song #4 the EP wouldn't probably carry the name "Generation Y" since that's the only song where I actually sing that line. :) These are the problems of the generation we live in. We don't have real problems anymore. :)

So happy with everything you said. I'm in a hurry so I'd love to continue this post a bit later.. Dude you rock!

This band has a lot going for them. the melodies are good, timing's tight and the production's stellar. On top of that, the free IR that came with this post very quickly became one of my "go-to's". So, being Dutch, I would say "Grote Klasse".

Hi!

The musical style of your band is very cool, this EP is a nice addition to my overall collection. So thanks for giving it away for free!!!

The video of Nympho is AWESOME! You really made me laugh! :)

And the guitar sound is very good, I'll definitely check out those IRs!

So this is a great package, everyone should at least download and try!

Back
Top Bottom