FREE: ML Sound Lab Dual Recto preset + Mesa SM7B IR

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfibnuenvsp7bwo/ML Sound Lab FREE Recto.zip?dl=0

Axe-Fx II and AX8 version of the preset (IR in original download link): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c6bv9fmhb4fr9i/AX8 and Axe-Fx II versions.zip?dl=0

Long story short: We starting creating "Amp Packs" in addition to "Cab Packs" that you most likely already associate with ML Sound Lab. The response from everyone has been overwhelmingly positive and you guys have been very supportive. One thing that's been hard to get across is the difference between "presets" and "Amp Packs". I'm really not interested in stepping into the preset game. I'm all about taking something analog and immortalizing it into something digital.

I've been doing the A.M.P. (A = authentically, M = matched, P = presets) thing for myself for at least 4 years now and much of it is about making sure that the amp sim gets the same EQ balance before the gain (=otherwise it will not feel and react the same dynamically) and after the gain (=so it sounds the same ... a little bit like tone matching) and ultimately depending on the amp I also have to worry about the EQ balance inbetween the preamp distortion and power amp distortion. So it's a bit complicated but what I end up with is these presets that never require any tweaking, maybe there's a sense of trust when you know how real it sounds. For more information visit: www.ml-sound-lab.com

So here's a free sample of how authentically I can recreate my personal Dual Recto with the Axe-Fx III. If anyone wants to help recreate these for the Axe-Fx II and AX8, please PM me. Thank you guys and all hail Fractal! :)

Last edited:
As I don't really have an AX8 nor Axe-Fx II handy right now here are the settings that got me there. You should get pretty close with using these settings with Axe-Fx II and AX8:

Recto 2 Red Modern - set this amp model to default and make the following adjustments:

Treble 6, presence 0, middle 5, bass 4, drive 6
Low resonance frequency 114hz
Sag at 7

Then fine tune the end result on the EQ page like this:

eeeqqqq.jpg

Oh and if people are questioning the need for these tweaks, I found that with the Recto in Spongy mode and using the Rectifier tubes, things felt different and actually the Recto got a lot tighter than it would've been normally. These tweaks got me that tighter Recto sound that I get with the real amp. For low tuned guitars you can turn the bass knob down and it should be pretty realistic.

Thanks dude! Will try this tomorrow. I'm no rectifier guy anymore, but well, who knows how good it sounds ;)
There are many different Rectifiers out there. I currently have two and they sound nothing alike. The presence knob seems to be different on every model they make. :) With Rectos you just need to have the gain and bass where it doesn't turn into that muffle unclear mess. :)

Thanks for the free IR! Sounds great.

I did have to manually trim it though using the wav source from the Line6 folder - looks like Axe-Edit III auto-trim leaves almost a millisecond worth of silence at the beginning.

Thanks for the free IR! Sounds great.

I did have to manually trim it though using the wav source from the Line6 folder - looks like Axe-Edit III auto-trim leaves almost a millisecond worth of silence at the beginning.
Yeah I'm not getting great results with Auto-Trim. I started trimming the IR's for packs manually and they're also time aligned so you can mix the raw format from the new ML packs together.

axe 2 I click on it and says 'cant preview sysex file' how to I download?
People seem to have problems with Dropbox. There's a download option in the top right corner that should always be there on Dropbox. I'm not sure if it's different on a mobile device.

Hey there and thank you so much. This is actually a sample/teaser for the Amp Packs that we've made with ML:
https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/boogey-v-fractal
https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/mars-silver-fractal

Maybe worth checking out. :) Those go through all gain stages that the real amps have to offer, and I know what you're thinking - yes there's a Marshall with all at full in there as well.

Nice! Might have to check out the Silver AMP and CABs. Do you update/tweak these when firmware updates are released?

Nice! Might have to check out the Silver AMP and CABs. Do you update/tweak these when firmware updates are released?
They're really good and I highly recommend them.

As for firmware updates - to some extent yes. I'll definitely check if the presets start measuring differently or if the dynamics are off after major updates. One of the reasons why I held off from doing amp packs before was that firmware updates many times drastically changed the overall sound while I feel like nowadays we're getting sort of "resolution updates" where the overall sound doesn't completely change but the quality gets better. I will be comparing the presets after major firmware updates.

I went ahead and purchased your Silver AMP and CAB pack. Really great stuff man.

Do they translate well over a loud PA? Do you have any recommendations of an IR from the CAB pack for live use? Currently, I am really digging the Appetite MPT IR so far, using my headphones. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of testing them loud prior to a gig but am considering using your Pristine Clean and Rock Rhythm presets as my base tones.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but I have to align the AXE III IR quite a bit (red). The yellow one is your wav file that I brought in to cab lab then exported. The blue one is my reference IR which already lines up nicely with your ML Zilla IR (green). Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.30.04 PM.png.

Back
Top Bottom